• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

I've done my very best to read through ALL the posts about the EXPRES test and I have few questions- basically just because I'd like an updated answer to the questions I have rather than what may have been the rules a few years ago. I'm a 21 year old female so the test objectives are:
level 4.0 on the beep test, 9 push ups, 15 sit ups and hand grip of 50kg. My first question is what happens if I don't get 9 or more pushups but I pass everything else? I'm curious if there are scenarios where an individual is automatically sent to the warrior platoon or if there are different combinations that keep you with the regular platoon and pass the test without having met the 9 pushup requirement. Obviously as you already know, pushups kick my butt. Also, I read in the physical fitness guide that there is an option where if the fitness instructors think you will benefit from extra physical training then you will do more after regular training hours (different from warrior platoon though, I think?).. has anyone experienced this or have any insight to it?

I see people passing the EXPRES test on the basic up videos that look like I could outlast them in any physical fitness test ..how the heck do they do it?! I'm so ready for my butt to be kicked in physical fitness at basic but I'd rather it happen with my platoon rather than being on the warrior platoon!! Oy vey..

P.S.-I leave for BMQ in a week

Did you have to do some kind of PT test to join?  Or is the testing done now AT recruit school?

I can't answer your question about failing one portion. Previously if you failed by 1 push up, 1 situp etc.. you failed the PT test and had to redo it however that probably changed with all the new rules.

Regarding your question about warrior platoon- As far as I understand it warrior platoon is basically fat camp. ALL you do is do PT, goto the gym and learn how to eat right. If you are in a regular training platoon and your PT sucks you may be given remedial PT which is basically the CFs way of saying your physical fitness needs improvement so you'll work on it "after hours".

Does that make sense?

from what I understand, regarding the CF expres test and qaulifications, those individuals under 35 who do not meet the qaulification level but meet the threshold will go to RFT, ( warrior training, fat camp, regimiental fitness training) which apparently is extensive physical training and nutrition education. Individuals who are over 35 and do not meet the qaulifications at first go straight to RFT. 
  I have also been told that we will be tested within 24 hours upon arrival at BMQ and that there are a minimum number of push ups required to be able to continue ( something like 10 for males, 4 for females) . Although these numbers may seem small, I believe they are to ensure a certain level of physical fitness to allow the individual to safely proceed with basic training. There are individuals who are more knowledgable on this site who can confirm this information. I have also been told ( or read) that all members must pass the BMQ in order to pass basic training and stay " in", which will be obvious to some, and some will be oblivious. There is also "warrior training" that is a part of Basic Training now that all individuals must complete as part of BMQ, saw a video and while it did look challenging, it did appear fun.
  We will also be tested several times during BMQ on our fitness levels, which is probably more of way of keeping track of our progress than anything.
  All in all, I have been told many times that they ( "they" being the instructors) are not there to make us fail, or push us hard enough to "break" us. They , the instructors, are there to help us pass the tests, and get through the course, prepare us for life in the military. It is not unreasonable to expect individuals applying to the armed forces to be in shape, to be able to meet the minimum fitness criteria and be able to proceed in what is considered to be a physically demanding exercise in a manner that is safe for the individual.
Regarding your question about the different scenarios of failing different aspects of the expres test, if you fail the run, you fail and go to RFT, if you fail 2 out of 3 of the strentgh aspects ( pushup, situp, grip strength) you fail and go to RFT. Someone more familiar with the current rules could confirm this.
Hope this helped shed some light, and if someone is more knowledgeable on this topic could they please offer there input. 

I fully appreciate your information provided and think that the military is a good choice.  Where else can you make 70 G's after five years?

As you progress in your career you will find that written communication plays a big part of your yearly evaluations.  I mean this with the utmost of respect...you need to work on your grammar and writing skills.  I have seen poorly written work over the years and can tell you that mistakes reflect on your person directly.  My pet peeves are-->Your, You're-->Their, There, They're-->To, Too and to cap it all off 'quite' used in place of 'quiet'.  You can imagine getting a memo from a subordinate with these mistakes on it.

Spell Check and grammar check your work, you will progress way, not weigh, quicker.

Grimaldus- The PT test is done upon arrival at BMQ for reg force but reserves do it prior to leaving. Thanks a lot for your insight and response!

seadog70- Thanks to you also for your response! I'm mostly curious about not completing 9 pushups (although someone mentioned to me that females are possibly able to do them on their knees rather than on their toes..anyone know about this?) but passing everything else. So, the point you made about passing 2 of 3 strength tests and still continuing along with the platoon like normal is what I was mostly wondering about. Can anyone else verify that this is still the way it goes?

I wholeheartedly agree that everyone should be arriving to BMQ with physical fitness already a part of their lifestyle, and it is a part of mine but pushups.. DANG! Not my forte! I would be so much more relaxed about BMQ if I knew that I was going to pass the EXPRES test and just be on with the rest of it haha..

kcaputs said:
(although someone mentioned to me that females are possibly able to do them on their knees rather than on their toes..anyone know about this?)

This is incorrect. There is only one way to do the pushups, regardless of gender.

Better work on those pushups - they are a yearly event unless you score high enough to get exempt for a year.  Myself, even with exempt I still did it rather than take the year off.  Skipping a year gives too much temptation to slack off.

kcaputs- yes, pushups are a necessity, and a yearly evaluation. Having gone from not doing them in years to achieving more than my "minimum", I feel pretty good about that, there's always room for improvement. I've found that telling myself that "there's always room to improve" has helped me push myself and to gain the necessary muscle and confidence to succeed. If you are in doubt of your performance ( regarding those dang pushups) take some comfort in that as long as you meet the "threshold limit" you won't be sent home straight away. That's where you most likely would go to RFT for a maximum stay of 90 days of pure enjoyable physical training. Of course, I'm still aiming for the exemption level as opposed to the threshold limit, since as I have often found out, when you shoot for a higher goal, you have a less likely chance of failure , even if you do not reach the higher goal. Between now and when you leave, do as many pushups as you can, rest for approx 30-60 sec, then repeat two more times. That will give you 3 sets of "failure" which will improve your performance over time. And eat protein ( eg: eggs, chicken, fish, beans, rice) , which will allow the muscle to grow. 
  I'll say best of luck to you , and we'll be seeing each other at St. Jean,  I leave the 15th, fly out and should arrive sometime around 1700hrs.  Here's hoping neither one of us get sent to RFT and we both make it through.

CountDC said:
Better work on those pushups - they are a yearly event unless you score high enough to get exempt for a year.  Myself, even with exempt I still did it rather than take the year off.  Skipping a year gives too much temptation to slack off.

A reservist from my regiment transferred to the regular force airforce.  Right before he transferred, our unit was doing our yearly fitness test. The 22ish year old male managed to fire off 8 or 9 push-ups. 
He has since passed his training and been posted to North Bay. Will he have to pass some type of PT test ever again or is he good with a 13 KM BFT once a year?

Sorry for the sidetrack, didn't want to start a new thread.

Grimaldus said:
Will he have to pass some type of PT test ever again or is he good with a 13 KM BFT once a year?

Depends on what the unit "standard" is.  In some cases, either the BFT or ExPres Test is considered acceptable.

Some units like 3PPCLI you'll do the BFT once a year (at a min, more likely you'll do one every big field ex, so 4+ a year) and the coopers test 4x a year. You'll never do the express test after basic with 3VP

I'm answering this from the start of the thread, If your worried about the grip test and your close to a military base go to the gym and ask the staff if they can check your grip.
This is what we did for our son and sorry to say but he really had to work on his grip so I'm glad we did this.

He's in really good shape now and ready for basic but I agree you can't really work on your grip in basic since it's not like the running where you do a lot of it.

Lifting free weights and those hand grip things and talk to the PSP staff for other tips on working the grip.

You can work on your grip anywhere, anytime, for an investment of $10. These work your hands and forearms. I found mine at Sportchek, but I am sure most stores with a sporting goods Dept. will carry them. Good luck.

I'm pretty sure the cooper's test and PT400 are just ran for s***s, are they not? Inspire some healthy competition etc... but you NEED to do a BFT AFAIK, or it's bad mojo.

I haven't done a CF Expres since like.........a looong time.

To help your grips doing chin ups and lifing free weights will also really help.  My son was using those grip things and he was increasing one point a week and not fast enough, but with the chin ups and the free weights he increased 5 points on the grip test in just over a week.  We went to the gym on base and they checked his grip for him.

+1 doing chin up is used by alot of trainer to increase the grip force !
For those having problem acheaving push up , work your tricep and shoulder at the gym, people havin not enough chest strengh can compensate by training both shoulder and mostly tricep separatly at the gym. I garentee you will se a great difference in your number of push up!  :nod:
Good luck ! And soory for bad english

Jarry said:
If you work alot and dot have time to train , buy hand cuff grip at any sport expert or gym shop and used them in your car while driving one hand at a time !

Not exactly a recommendation I'd make......

And why ? People are eating , texting while driving ...
Instead of holding the shifter in my hand in the morning traffic in get in 1 hand the stearring , and in the other the hand cuff  doing repetition.. and i have my eyes on the road.
Soory if it seem "" dangerous"" for some of you it was only a advice for people having problem whit grip force and passing more time in the car then amywere else.

Back