• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

Hi. So i'm starting my BMQ on the 11th and just want to know 1 thing. How long is the day 1 run? 2 miles or more?

As long as it doesn't take you 2 hours to jog the 4 miles (6.4 KM) you say you jog every day, you'll be fine. We also use Kilometres, not miles.

FlyLikeAnEagle said:
Hi. So i'm starting my BMQ on the 11th and just want to know 1 thing. How long is the day 1 run? 2 miles or more?

Day 1 run? Where did you hear that? Is that an actual 'thing' now? "Day 1" is full of a lot of rushing around in general. (I'm trying my damnedest to recall a specific, organized, PT running period on my first day of both pl's and can't. Not saying it can't happen, just saying it didn't with me.)

Your first few distance runs in general, however, will start out at pretty much the 5-7km mark and start going up from there. My experience was that the distance runs happened a lot during morning PT, intermingled with burpees, jumping jacks, push-ups and such when the staff felt like it.
Occasionally it was a straight run at a pretty good pace, no stopping/extra conditioning, a bit of puking by some.

I found that a PT period during the day was a lot more conditioning and such. So circuits, sprint exercises, log PT, weights, etc.

Like PC said though, if you can run like you've already mentioned, you shouldn't have any issues with the pace and/or distances introduced at the beginning.

FlyLikeAnEagle said:
So i'm starting my BMQ on the 11th and just want to know 1 thing. How long is the day 1 run?

To add to the above two replies, see also,

Running at BMQ
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&q=site%3Aarmy.ca++running+bmq&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca++running+bmq&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.138472.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.foo%2Cersl%3D1%2Cfett%3D1%2Cewh%3D0%2Cnso-enksa%3D0%2Cnso-enfk%3D1%2Cnso-usnt%3D1%2Cnso-qnt-npqp%3D0-1%2Cnso-qnt-npdq%3D0-45%2Cnso-qnt-npt%3D0-09%2Cnso-qnt-ndc%3D300%2Ccspa-dspm-nm-mnp%3D0-045%2Ccspa-dspm-nm-mxp%3D0-1125%2Cnso-unt-npqp%3D0-15%2Cnso-unt-npdq%3D0-25%2Cnso-unt-npt%3D0-06%2Cnso-unt-ndc%3D300%2Ccspa-uipm-nm-mnp%3D0-0075%2Ccspa-uipm-nm-mxp%3D0-0525...0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0.LkmXNeNZgpE

PuckChaser said:
As long as it doesn't take you 2 hours to jog the 4 miles (6.4 KM) you say you jog every day, you'll be fine. We also use Kilometres, not miles.

4 miles = 32 minutes to 40 minutes. Is the course their flat or hilly?

Around the Mega its flat.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Canadian+Forces+Leadership+%26+Recruit+School/@45.3002963,-73.2903996,808m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cc9a2226691b8c5:0x21d36140ca67fc16!8m2!3d45.3002925!4d-73.2882109

Regarding the FORCE test, perhaps I'm missing something...
I see 2 different "scoring" systems. One in time and another in points.

I was told there is a total of 400 points, but nobody could answer what was the "pass" number, but I was also told there was a time per test that must be passed.

My assumption is if I do everything within the time allotted, it's a pass? How do the points come into the mix?

And lastly, what is the final exam at week 7-8 like? Is it just a repeat of the FORCE test during the initial period?

I was also told these two were contradictory because of everything changing (Example: I'm told the 13KM ruck march is out and being replaced by a march/shoot combo, but only by some recruiters).

I'm sorry if my information doesn't make sense, but I think my questions are hitting right in the middle of everything being in a flux state.

Thanks!

There is a time limit for each of three of the four FORCE elements.  Each item is assessed individually.

Taking this in a slightly different direction...

Has anyone seen the output data from the FORCE? Do we know where the various age and gender results fall relative to the expectation? For example if you're a 57 year old male and do the shuttle run in 44 seconds, how does that compare to all the other 57 year old CF males? Secondly, do we know how the FORCE standards correlate to the general population? What population percentile would that same 57 year old be in compared to the public at large?

If you go to the dfit internet site, you can plot your stats and see where you fit.

From the DFit site:

Bronze: you have a result better than or equal to 50% of the CAF population in your respective age and gender group.
Silver: you have a result better than or equal to 84% of the CAF population in your respective age and gender group.
Gold: you have a result better than or equal to 98% of the CAF population in your respective age and gender group.
Platinum: you have a result better than or equal to 99.9% of the CAF population in your respective age and gender group.

https://www.cfmws.com/en/AboutUs/PSP/DFIT/Fitness/FORCEprogram/Pages/Fitness-Profile-FAQ.aspx

daftandbarmy said:
But what if we're all really unfit?

This was one of the original critiques I had of the methodology behind the FORCE test.  It was taken from a statistical analysis of the entire CAF population over a number of years and then a standard was determined.

The problem was this was at a time when the entire CAF was under scrutiny for being a physically unfit force.  So we base the standard off an average taken from unfit individuals.

Humphrey Bogart said:
This was one of the original critiques I had of the methodology behind the FORCE test.  It was taken from a statistical analysis of the entire CAF population over a number of years and then a standard was determined.
Nope. The common tasks were assessed. Standards identified for them.  Exercises identified as predictors of success in the common tasks. Consolidated standards set for FORCE test.

Incentive levels? A different situation.

[quote author=dapaterso]
Remuster to Int?  Cyber Op? [/quote]

FTFY  :D

Humphrey Bogart said:

The problem was this was at a time when the entire CAF was under scrutiny for being a physically unfit force.  So we base the standard off an average taken from unfit individuals.

Canada: Going. For. Bronze.

Humphrey Bogart said:

#canada-goingforbronze

Humphrey Bogart said:

I was a lab rat for the final round of FORCE development, representing the "broken, over 50 male" demographic.  Part of the reason folks like me were recruited was that when the initial development was done, units provided volunteers who were, in most cases very or ridiculously fit.  And why not?  You want your unit to look good in a national trial, don't you?

However, if that had been the only data used to determine the standard, that standard would have been quite artificially high for application to the entire CAF (remembering that the FORCE standard is the lowest common benchmark and is MOSID, environment, gender and age blind.)

Back