• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

For those with DIN/IntraNet access, the CFLRS PT testing SOPs can be found here under the BMQ and IAP & BOTP online TPs (PO 104, Annex D, Appendix 1 for both TPs).

For those who do not have access, they are attached below.  Please note the dates on each documents on the bottom, center.

I am actually confirming that; the new rule is indeed in effect at CFLRS.

New rule change...now it's 2 pushups for females to remain on a platoon and 4 or 5 for males to remain on a platoon

*twitch* I love my job :D

Not only is it pathetic, its embarassing IMO.

But the worst part is...people will actually FAIL that.

To start on a platoon - everyone is of course expected to pass at LEAST the minimum by the end of course...or off to RFT they go

:edit: I'm off to RFT tomorrow to get back into platoon shape after my lovely PAT experiance....as is now mandatory after any prolonged PAT visit.

I'm not disagreeing, but as I understand it there was a time when the only PT test was at the end of the course and if you failed you were out....I kinda like that idea to be honest...

When I got here you could fail outright (as in get 0) on any one strength portion and you were still good to go until the end of the course...how is this any worse then that?

Cat said:
I'm not disagreeing, but as I understand it there was a time when the only PT test was at the end of the course and if you failed you were out....I kinda like that idea to be honest...

And when were you told that was?  And what would be the GD point to put someone thru all that training and pay them to have them fail a PT test at the end??  ::)

When I got here you could fail outright (as in get 0) on any one strength portion and you were still good to go until the end of the course...how is this any worse then that?

I am well aware of the PT testing process before this, I was an instructor at CFLRS before my current posting.  This is alittle better but still pathetic and still embarassing.  Full stop.

Eye In The Sky said:
And when were you told that was?  And what would be the GD point to put someone thru all that training and pay them to have them fail a PT test at the end??   ::)

I am well aware of the PT testing process before this, I was an instructor at CFLRS before my current posting.  This is alittle better but still pathetic and still embarassing.  Full stop.

in the 70s or 80s according to one of the ladies here who was in then...

The idea being no matter how you showed up your instructors andthe PERI staff would run you until you could pass the test

Cat said:
2 pushups for females /  4 or 5 for males

Please, please, please, tell this old has-been that it isn't so..............I'm kinda hoping that will at least be my minimum nursing home entrance test.

I thought it would be worthy to do a comparison of our recruit fitness testing to, in this example, the US Air Force.  Thats right...not their Army or Marines...the Air Force.

From this website:

Getting in Shape
The final fitness test is done during the 4th week of training. That's not much time to get into shape (even though you'll be working out six days per week), so the Air Force recommends that recruits be able to meet the following minimum standards before reporting to basic training (Note: This isn't mandatory, but it'll make you life much easier):

Males

2 mile run: 19:16
1.5 mile run: 13:45
Push-Ups: 34
Sit-Ups: 38

Females

2 mile run: 22:43
1.5 mile run: 16:01
Push-Ups: 16

Remember, the above standards are the MINIMUM recommended for when you FIRST ARRIVE at basic training. They are not the graduation standards (which are much more restrictive). Graduation standards can be found in Part 4 of this article.

And some more info on the US Air Force Recruit training PT standards, from here.

Graduation Requirements
The final fitness test is conducted at the end of the 4th WOT/beginning of the 5th WOT (prior to "Warrior Week"). To pass, recruits must meet the following MINIMUM physical fitness standards:

Males:

Two Mile Run - 16:45
1.5 mile Run - 11:57
Sit-Ups - 50 (in 2 minutes)
Push-Ups - 45 (in 2 minutes)

Females:

Two Mile Run - 19:45
1.5 Mile Run - 13:56
Sit-Ups - 50 (in 2 minutes)
Push-Ups - 27 (in 2 minutes)

Recruits who fail to meet the above standards can expect to be recycled for a minimum period of two weeks.

Warhawk Physical Fitness Award
Recruits who make the following MINIMUM standards qualify for the "Warhawk" Award:

Males:

Two Mile Run - 13:30
1.5 mile Run - 08:08
Sit-Ups - 80 (in 2 minutes)
Push-Ups - 75 (in 2 minutes)
Pull-Ups - 10

Females:

Two Mile Run - 15:00
1.5 Mile Run - 10:55
Sit-Ups - 75 (in 2 minutes)
Push-Ups - 40 (in 2 minutes)
Pull-Ups - 5

Those who qualify for "Warhawk" receive a special T-shirt, a recognition certificate, and receive an extra town pass on graduation weekend (that means they get to go off-base on the Sunday following graduation, as well as the normal Saturday).

Honor Graduate
While Physical Fitness is only one small part of the Honor Graduate requirements, a recruit must meet the following MINIMUM physical fitness standards to even be considered for the honor:

Males:

Two Mile Run - 15:15
1.5 mile Run - 8:55
Sit-Ups - 70 (in 2 minutes)
Push-Ups - 62 (in 2 minutes)
Pull-Ups - 2

Females:

Two Mile Run - 16:00
1.5 Mile Run - 11:33
Sit-Ups - 60 (in 2 minutes)
Push-Ups - 37 (in 2 minutes)
Pull-Ups - 6

Cat said:
New rule change...now it's 2 pushups for females to remain on a platoon and 4 or 5 for males to remain on a platoon

*twitch* I love my job :D

2 pushups for females and 4 or 5 for males???? WTF. My 80 year old grandmother could probably punch out more than 2 pushups. That is sad.

Eye In The Sky said:
Males

2 mile run: 19:16
1.5 mile run: 13:45
Push-Ups: 34

Females

2 mile run: 22:43
1.5 mile run: 16:01
Push-Ups: 16

Remember, the above standards are the MINIMUM recommended for when you FIRST ARRIVE at basic training. They are not the graduation standards (which are much more restrictive).

Wow...big difference. Perhaps it's due to the fact that the U.S. has a much (much) larger population to draw from, and perhaps does not face the recruiting challenges of its Northern neighbour. Just a guess.

Not that I am advocating lax standards.  :p  Far from it.

I do think the incentives for "Warhawks" is a nice touch. The CF might want to think about an incentive/reward program as well.

Celticgirl said:
and perhaps does not face the recruiting challenges of its Northern neighbour. Just a guess.

I would say that you have guessed wrong. From what i have seen teaching AIT down in the US, they face a recruiting problem of far greater proportion than we do. Yes they have a larger population to draw from but they also maintain a very large force. I do not know , however how they compare proportinately. With the requirements of the war in Iraq ( with all its problems back home), the war in Afghanistan, the requirement for large forces in Korea and in other parts of the world, the need for soldiers in, IMHO, much greater. Looks to me like they have decided that operational effectiveness comes ahead of everything else.

The stuff I posted was for Enlisted recruits.  Maybe the stuff for their Officers is the same, or more stringent.

Again...that is their Air Force.  NOT the Army or Marines.

This site also seems to have lots of info:

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-fitness-requirements/army-basic-training-pft

CDN Aviator said:
I would say that you have guessed wrong. From what i have seen teaching AIT down in the US, they face a recruiting problem of far greater proportion than we do. Yes they have a larger population to draw from but they also maintain a very large force. I do not know , however how they compare proportinately.

US military recruiting boosted by rise in bonuses
The Associated PressPublished: October 3, 2008

WASHINGTON: After seven years at war, the U.S. military paid recruits hundreds of millions of dollars over the past year as they answered the call to duty.

According to data obtained by The Associated Press, the Army and Marine Corps doled out nearly $640 million in the fiscal year that ended Tuesday to entice recruits to join up.

The two services continue to bear the brunt of the U.S.-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but recruits were buoyed by incentives that can be as high as $40,000 each. All told, the enlistment incentives coupled with the promise of thousands more for education, increased the costs of Army and Marine bonuses by 25 percent over last year's totals, The Associated Press has learned.

The money — particularly in these shaky economic times — has proved to be a strong recruiting tool, even as the U.S. death toll in Iraq surpasses 4,100 and violence in Afghanistan escalates.

As a result, the Army, Marines, Navy and Air Force all met their recruiting goals for the year. The Air Force did not provide bonus data.

Article Link

Exactly..........look at what they had to do to meet their targets. Also ook at the context under which they were met ( the economy).

When the economy was rolling high, do you think that what is said in the article was true ?

CDN Aviator said:
Exactly..........look at what they had to do to meet their targets. Also ook at the context under which they were met ( the economy).

When the economy was rolling high, do you think that what is said in the article was true ?

Say it with me now..."I stand corrected."  See how easy that was? ;D

Just so people's head's don't explode, the minimum standard for continued employment in the CF hasn't changed, but the physical abilities of many of the recruits has.  And not for the better...

To stay on course following the first fitness test, the minimums for push-ups is 2 and 4 for women and men respectively.  That is so there is an indication of "some" baseline upper body strength to work with during the course so that it is feasible that the MPFS scores of 9 and 19 are acheivable at either week 6 and/or week 13.  This is an additional standard imposed over and above the requirement to pass the VO2 Max and a min of two of three strength tests just to stay on course.  Anyone not meeting that standard (or without a damn good story presented by their platoon staff) is headed for RFT.

There is also a new approach to PT on the platoons that is coming and it looks like it will be very successful, so stay tuned.

All that said, the MPFS is the only standard across the CF, and is the pass mark for a Performance Objective on the BMQ course.  If it is not acheived, even after 13 weeks of training, then the BMQ course has not been completed and people will be loaded on RFT while the rest of their platoon stands Grad Parade.  The only exceptions to this I've seen have gone out the green doors with extra paperwork in their files and only under very specific circumstances.

Back