• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

foreign awards and decorations

Interesting Kiwi.

Guess you're buying the beer.... what with that windfall

After the clerk demanded a car and the 2ic wanted a truckload of whiskey, i decided to get married and automatically say bye bye to all that money and every other cent i earn

Kiwi out

Looking at your list of medals! Do you have a long service medal? I served ten years in the CF Reserves and now currently am in the TA. Because my CF service was in the reserves when my unit applied for a TA  service medal they were told it was the wrong one they applied for . By counting my Canadian service whole ( and not halved as with the first medal) I got the VRSM (Volunteer Reserve Service Medal ) and a clasp! This is a new service medal that is for all the reserve forces in the UK! It is awarded after 10 years and clasps after an addition 5 years! Under the old medal it was 12 years  then 15 years then 20 years but service with other Commonwealth forces was to count at half the time ( thats why my 10 years CF was counted as 5). I got not too long ago a second clasp 20 years service!
So you could check or does somebody here know the Canadian regs on this matter? maybe this well speed up you getting a CD!

That's a career move if I ever heard of one........

Groucho said:
Looking at your list of medals! Do you have a long service medal? I served ten years in the CF Reserves and now currently am in the TA. Because my CF service was in the reserves when my unit applied for a TA  service medal they were told it was the wrong one they applied for . By counting my Canadian service whole ( and not halved as with the first medal) I got the VRSM (Volunteer Reserve Service Medal ) and a clasp! This is a new service medal that is for all the reserve forces in the UK! It is awarded after 10 years and clasps after an addition 5 years! Under the old medal it was 12 years  then 15 years then 20 years but service with other Commonwealth forces was to count at half the time ( thats why my 10 years CF was counted as 5). I got not too long ago a second clasp 20 years service!
So you could check or does somebody here know the Canadian regs on this matter? maybe this well speed up you getting a CD!

Canadian CD is 12 years + 10 years for every clasp.
Haven't a clue what the UK or Australia will credit you for your time in the service
CD time in the reserves is credited 1 for 1 in the Regs
for now, reserve class A service time is counted 4 for 1 for Reg force pension buy back (though that might be subject to change).

Groucho said:

A-AD-200-000/AG-000
THE HONOURS, FLAGS AND HERITAGE STRUCTURE
OF THE CANADIAN FORCES

Chapter 2, Annex N, Appendix 1

6 b. Service in the reserve or auxiliary forces of the
British Commonwealth of Nations shall count
provided such service has not been recognized
by any other long service, good conduct, or
efficiency medal; and

6c. Personnel who were serving in the Permanent
or Regular Forces of the British
Commonwealth of Nations on or prior to
1 September, 1939, may, if they so desire,
count subsequent service for the award of The
Canadian Medal for Long Service and Good
Conduct (Military), The Royal Canadian Navy
Long Service and Good Conduct Medal or The
Royal Canadian Air Force Long Service and
Good Conduct Medal under existing
regulations for these awards.

The CD is awarded under Canadian Rules so 1yr reserves = 1yr toward the CD.  Supplementary Reserve time does not count.

Reccesoldier...
you are citing CF regulations while Groucho is now serving in Britain`s Territorial army.
It is now a matter of how the MOD translates his service in the colonies..... and CF regs would mean very little.

Thank you Reccesoldier for your info! Geo I was asking not for myself but for Aussiechangeover!  As I stated in my earlier post I have my VRSM and the 2 clasps! I was asking if Aussiechangeover had a Long service medal . If not could he use his service towards a CD!

Groucho said:
Thank you Reccesoldier for your info! Geo I was asking not for myself but for Aussiechangeover!  As I stated in my earlier post I have my VRSM and the 2 clasps! I was asking if Aussiechangeover had a Long service medal . If not could he use his service towards a CD!

No problem. 

Back