• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Former CO, RSM of Alert charged

Hence why I'm hoping for a reporter - the information available to date is rather thing gruel.

Could depend on whether any pre-trial publication ban is put in place. The trend has been towards greater restriction on publishing pre-trial matters if a jury is a possibility, and there’s a mandatory pub ban on matters heard outside of the jury’s presence if it’s a jury trial. If an election is made for summary (no jury for a summary matter), that’s much less of a concern.

The more switched on reporters go to the court registry, find out if any judicial authorizations were issued (search warrants, production orders, etc) and request copies of the sworn affidavits for those, if they aren’t subject to a sealing order. They often tell much of the story of an investigation.

Met Techs go wherever the wind takes them, after all 😉
Furniture on one of his trips?

images

This is a very weird event. Even when there are issues with Polar Bears, there is a whole process to go through before you can be authorized to destroy one, and even then there usually is a requirement to donate the remains to a "local" Innu community.

This is a very weird event. Even when there are issues with Polar Bears, there is a whole process to go through before you can be authorized to destroy one, and even then there usually is a requirement to donate the remains to a "local" Innu community.
I very much doubt there is a local community at Alert… outside of the foxes…

I was the bear safety guy for our troop deployment to Tuk, many, many moons ago. I asked how close a polar bear had to be, to us, to shoot it and was told in quite a serious tone that it better have powder burns on the fur when they came to collect it.
I was also told that if I wanted the pelt, I could have it for a substantial donation to the locals.

That's why local was in "". Local could be 1000km away, but they may be still entitled to the remains.
Might be a case of a department trying to apply rules/jurisdiction in an area where it doesn't make sense. Some of the inspectors lose sight of common sense, and try apply laws that make total sense if you are in the Great Lakes near a major city but don't somewhere that's too remote for even the Innu.

There are a few laws/legislation that don't include a military exemption, so sometimes you are reliant on the level of common sense of the person doing the investigation and interpretation of the rules. And sometimes the rules are overly restrictive and don't leave room for common sense where it clearly wasn't meant to apply.

If that's the case here, at least with DND being included I'm assuming that means they will get official council provided. Even if you've done nothing wrong and get acquited, I don't know of anyone that can eat $25-50k in lawyer fees without impact.

There is some hearsay available on the CAF REDDIT that says that potentially permission was sought, denied by the decision makers, and action taken anyway. There are also rumors that perhaps decisions taken on what to do with the remains is what really has gotten the two individuals in trouble.

Back