• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Former CO, RSM of Alert charged

I’m not sure if this is a “poaching” case per se. The article is light on details. Since DND is charged as well, it leads me to believe that operations at the base caused the death of the animal, and for whatever reason, they retained the remains of the animal for whatever unstated purposes.

But because the article is light on details, it could be a straight up poaching incident. I just find it odd that DND would be charged if that were the case.

@RangerRay Some of the Environmental charges are strange; they can charge individuals as well as the department if it's part of departmental business. You see it with some of the POL spills and similar, so concur it is likely it's not a poaching thing.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of it, but sucks that it's so vague.

Hopefully there are still enough reporters out there that someone will be attending the initial trial on Thursday.

It’s just a first appearance. The charges will be read, and the matter will be held over to a later date. There may be an election as to whether it will proceed summarily or by indictment. I’m curious whether there will be an argument that whatever was done was in the course of their duties and if they’ll have crown funded counsel, or if they’re on their own. I’m also curious about when the charge was laid and when the Jordan clock started ticking. For a provincial court matter, the presumptive timeline is charge to completion of trial in 16 months. If it goes to superior court that bumps to 30.

It’s not unprecedented for a federal government department to be prosecuted for a criminal offence, but it certainly isn’t common.

It’s just a first appearance. The charges will be read, and the matter will be held over to a later date. There may be an election as to whether it will proceed summarily or by indictment. I’m curious whether there will be an argument that whatever was done was in the course of their duties and if they’ll have crown funded counsel, or if they’re on their own. I’m also curious about when the charge was laid and when the Jordan clock started ticking. For a provincial court matter, the presumptive timeline is charge to completion of trial in 16 months. If it goes to superior court that bumps to 30.

It’s not unprecedented for a federal government department to be prosecuted for a criminal offence, but it certainly isn’t common.
Hence why I'm hoping for a reporter - the information available to date is rather thing gruel.

Back