• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

France Burning

Dare said:
I only wish I could one day watch Fox News. I did not first hear of it on Fox News. After being accused of parroting it so often. I have seen video of a few different groupings. I am sure, that perhaps, one could view that in some way that is different. Just as I could tell you that this website is not green but purple. That doesn't make that observation correct. Nor is it true that it is somewhere between green and purple. The truth is the truth. It is always my primary source. It was not Al-Jazeera that solely saw that, it was 99% of world media. Fox News being in the minority, obviously. I've been fond of the underdogs most of my life. Just these days the great underdogs of the world are portrayed as the nemesis of humanity.
So you saw video on some other right wing media outlet instead of Fox News.  I still think you're missing a big part of the picture of what actually happened here.

This riot was widely dispersed, organized and effective. It seems to me to be just a first wave. The rock throwing (a staple of any angry-young-man demonstration) did have similarities. That and the slogan of "This is Baghdad". Perhaps many that you know were not fearful of the oncoming troubles. I will bet you, though, that many were. We will see the results in the next elections.
Ordinary citizens aren't fearful of the "troubles".  Chirac and his gang were already fearful of the next election, since it has been speculated for quite a while that they're going to get trounced.  The No vote to the European Constitution was about this to a large degree.

Perhaps that motivated some, but we have to look at the organizers. It's not just the puppet but the puppeteers.
This is where you're starting to see conspiracies.  I disagree that the riots were organized.  Their effectiveness depends on what you consider their objective was.  But the introduction of "puppeteers" is pretty silly.  There were certainly some agitators, but a large portion of the rioters were rioting simply because they could get away with it.  Picture Beavis and Butthead being told they could torch a car and get away with.  (Yeah... that would be cool... yeah...)

I have a feeling more force would be used here (surprisingly (or perhaps not, considering that which is being compared)). If not by the government but by private citizens who don't enjoy their cars and houses burnt down. Certainly the issues have not been solved, and likely will not be. I think we can expect this to resurface. At least, I will. Given I'm the conspiratorial Fox News Parrot(tm)   ;)
There were riots in Toronto in 1992 for a night or two after the Rodney King verdict.  How many shop owners went vigilante?

Very disturbing. The fact that Le Pen's FN party is joining with the islamists is not good at all. I think what is happening in France can happen anywhere in Europe.

http://www.upi.com/InternationalIntelligence/view.php?StoryID=20061013-083614-1432r

France's Interior Ministry said 2,500 police officers had been "wounded" this year. The head of the hard-line trade union "Action Police" Michel Thooris wrote to Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy to describe conditions in housing developments turned slums as "intifada." Police cruisers are pelted daily with stones and "Molotov cocktails" (gasoline-filled bottles with burning wicks that explode on impact) and Thooris said cops assigned to what was rapidly degenerating into "free fire zones" should be protected in armored vehicles. Entire tall buildings empty into the streets to chase policemen and free an arrested comrade.

"We are in a state of civil war, orchestrated by radical Islamists," Thooris told journalists. Sarkozy, the leading center-right candidate for next year's presidential election, responded by dispatching cops in body armor, equipped with automatic weapons and rubber bullets, stun and teargas grenades into several Paris suburbs with orders to "restore control" from "organized crime." In one recent clash 250 cops dispersed a 100-strong Muslim gang armed with baseball bats.

It's amazing that 2,500 police officers have been injured, over 10,000 cars torched, and it's all being swept under the carpet (most likely in combination by a French government that doesn't want to jeopardize tourist dollars and a North American media that won' t cover anything that Reuters doesn't write the release for....)

Matthew.  ???

An average of 14 policemen a day are injured in bloody clashes with jobless youngsters
"We are in a state of civil war, orchestrated by radical Islamists," Thooris told journalists
In one recent clash 250 cops dispersed a 100-strong Muslim gang armed with baseball bats
You know if someone offered me a view of the world in five years I wouldn't take it... you know why? Because in five years or so the s**t is really going to start hitting the fan. Stories like this are only the smoke before the fire. The world order that supports our way of life has outwardly stayed the same but I think the foundation it rests on is really starting to get rotten. Now I'm not citing France as an example for the world but once again where there's smoke....

You can call me paranoid but I do think that in five years Canada will be in a lot of trouble, it could very well be this same trouble we will be seeing.

this movie was in theatres in new york.  it talks about something that Canada is to polite to talk about. 

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5873290581890701206&q=obsession+islam

2500  police have been wounded in a civil war going on in France against Muslims.  Its not "will"  this happen in Canada but "when".
This is not my opinion but what is said in this movie and in the french press.    I just thought it would be better for us to be educated then ignorant on what is going on around the world.  The sad thing is  most of us have probably not heard of what is really going on in France.  I am also putting up a link to french news paper articles so you can read about this.

http://tailrank.com/636189/France-Facing-Civil-War-from-Its-Muslim-Population

If we can not talk about whats in the french news papers or playing in the theatres of new york on this sight than Canada is in big trouble.  I also want to point out i do not know anything this stuff and i just thought this would make an interesting topic.

"the immigrant and first-generation suburbs around France's large and medium-sized cities have been out of control. Crime rates have gone through the roof: According to the Renseignements Généraux, a division of the police, 70,000 violent crimes have been recorded in urban settings since the beginning of the year. They include the torching of more than 28,000 cars and 17,500 trash bins. According to the Interior Ministry, some 9,000 police cars have been stoned by youths this year."

wow france sounds like a  war zone.

I was surprised to read about France.
I have read from various mediums about how strange of a year they had regarding 'violence'.
I didn't think the country was into this much disturbance.

Zartan said:
However, much can happen with the passing of time, and much will. I don't believe it is over yet - the fire is dead, but embers remain alight. While most will fade in the coming days and weeks, I feel that these events may have influensed some members of the French Muslim community towards a far more dangerous path. We shall see.
They are still burning quite well just under a year later.
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/10/26/paris-riots.html#skip300x250
Youths torch buses around Paris ahead of anniversary of riots
Last Updated: Thursday, October 26, 2006 | 2:56 PM ET
The Associated Press
Youths in suburban Paris set fire to three buses after forcing passengers off them, in nighttime attacks ahead of the first anniversary of riots in France's housing projects.

No injuries were reported, but after dark Thursday worried bus drivers refused to enter some of the areas, which are heavily populated by poor and immigrant populations. The prime minister urged a swift, stern response.

Last year's riots raged through housing projects on the outskirts of cities nationwide, springing in part from anger over entrenched discrimination against immigrants and their French-born children, many of them Muslims from former French colonies in Africa. Despite an influx of funds and promises since then, disenchantment still thrives in those communities.

Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy, a leading contender for next year's presidential elections whose hard-line stance has angered many in the neighbourhoods, promised to track down those who set the buses on fire.

"The people responsible should know that we are after them … and they will face severe punishment," he said at a news conference in Stratford-upon-Avon, England, where he was meeting with interior ministers from five other European countries.

About 10 attackers — five armed with handguns — stormed a bus in Montreuil, east of Paris, early Thursday and forced the passengers off, the RATP transport authority said. They then drove off and set the bus on fire. The bus driver was treated for shock, the RATP said.

Continue Article

The handguns were unusual — last year's rioters were armed primarily with crowbars, stones, sticks or gasoline bombs.

Late Wednesday, three attackers forced passengers off another bus in Athis-Mons, south of Paris, and tossed a Molotov cocktail inside, police officials said. The driver managed to put out the fire.

In yet another attack Wednesday night, between six and 10 youths herded passengers off a bus in the western community of Nanterre and set it alight.

Character of violence changing
The attacks, and recent ambushes on police, have raised concern about the changing character of the violence, which appears more premeditated than last year's spontaneous outcry and no longer restricted to the housing projects.

Regional authorities said the Nanterre bus line, which passes near Paris's financial district, la Defense, was not considered a high-risk area. Francois Saglier, director of bus service at the RATP, said the attacks happened "without prior warning and not necessarily in neighbourhoods considered difficult."

The RATP was to meet Thursday with unions to determine which bus routes would be changed or limited in response to the unrest. Unions demanded that the RATP allow drivers to stop work in case of imminent danger.

"We will take measures that become necessary to avoid sensitive neighbourhoods," Saglier told reporters. The drivers feel "worry but at the same time a great sense of responsibility," he said.

Sarkozy said he would meet with public transportation officials and asked police to "mobilize all resources" to protect the transit system.

Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin urged a swift, stern response, but also said France should "revitalize" troubled neighbourhoods.

Campaign issues
France's inability to better integrate minorities and recent violence are becoming major political issues as the campaign heats up for next year's presidential and parliamentary elections.

Defence Minister Michele Alliot-Marie, who is considering whether to run in next year's presidential election, said Thursday that recent attacks demonstrate "a desire to kill."

"Some individuals are looking for provocations, and sometimes go further," she said on i-Tele television. She acknowledged people facing unemployment and overcrowded housing "have trouble finding their place" in society.

The three weeks of riots were sparked by the deaths on Oct. 27, 2005, of two young boys of African descent, who were electrocuted in a power substation in Clichy-sous-Bois, northeast of Paris, while hiding from police.
I don't think I would want to be visiting France anytime soon.

The way France works, we'll see a Sixth Republic soon....

Infanteer said:
The way France works, we'll see a Sixth Republic soon....

Time to bust those stone tablets that Constitution is written on?  Again?

A question that comes to mind is which capital does the Islamic Republic of France get?  Vichy or Paris?

Kirkhill said:
Time to bust those stone tablets that Constitution is written on?  Again?

Oooohhh....score one for the Cavaliers....  ^-^

The french are revolting (again)

Yes, aren't they!

Watch out for Oct 31 & Nov 1 next week....it could be a very bad couple of days.

Matthew.  :salute:

Hopefully the French police can quell the violence.

Despite my earlier tongue-in-cheek reply, I'm not to worried about this; the violence doesn't seem like anything different than what we see in some US inner-cities.  I don't remember the USA decending into anarchy during the Rodney King Riots or the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in NO.

Back