• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Scary precedence to set.
One expert weighed in a few days ago about businesses looking to file a suit. This is a bit different as it’s a class action on behalf of residents. I note what he says about the length of the protest possibly being a thing that could be a factor.

But it looks like the go fund money won’t be a source of compensation since it’s been shut down.

Ignoring Pat King and company? You do know his background right? Why legitimize that. This isn’t a trucker thing anymore.
It isn't a trucker thing anymore... It wasn't by the time it hit Ottawa. It appears to be growing though, which might have been stopped if people in authority, and the media hadn't pretended it was just a racist trucker thing. If they had made any attempt at all to let people know they were sympathetic to their frustrations, and that they would look into ways to alleviate restrictions as they could, it could have pretty easily taken some of the wind out of the protest sails.

Dr. Tam has already come out and said we need to adjust to an endemic COVID world, I suspect she would have been advising the government of that at the time this kicked off as well. So why did the government choose to play nasty politics, when they could have been the peacemakers?

If it was just about racist truckers, why would farmers be going to Toronto? Unless now truckers, and farmers are racist...

To be clear, I'm not really in favour of the protests, despite arguing against the way they have been handled.

Edit: I'm also not really against it... I kind of don't care one way or another.

Like an OC's hour when the OC puts their notebook away and crossed their arms eh

Trudeau meeting people would:

1. Stop him from looking like a hypocrite on the world stage (See India Farmer protests)

2. Give Canadian citizens a chance to be heard (See We see you / We hear you mantra)

3. Give the protestor leadership an opportunity to put their foots in their mouth and possibly loose support and steam when moderates want to distance themselves with the movement.

Farmer's are apparently joining now. Who's next? Unless you don't think there's anyone else in the country who feels ostracized.

Personally I can't stand protestors blocking citizens from going where they want. At all. I would take someone sitting outside of my house blaring a horn a lot less stotically than Ottawa residents are.

But the government played a big part in what brought this to pass, pretending it will go away probably won't end how they think.

I’ve been fairly consistant about Trudeau meeting with those three. My response was to Jarnhammer suggesting that is who he can meet. If the organisers were not racists or made racist statements it would have been harder to paint them as such. Unfortunately guilt by association and failure to disavow has led to the narrative being lost.

I said this a while ago. They lost the narrative.

Scary precedence to set.

How is it scary? Since there hasn't been a ruling yet there has been no precedent arising from this incident. As for individual citizens or businesses (particularly businesses) filing applications for injunctions against and subsequently seeking damages from protesters, it's been done before, most notably against logging protestors in BC. The injunctions and claims for damages have not always been successful.

Like an OC's hour when the OC puts their notebook away and crossed their arms eh

Trudeau meeting people would:

1. Stop him from looking like a hypocrite on the world stage (See India Farmer protests)

2. Give Canadian citizens a chance to be heard (See We see you / We hear you mantra)

3. Give the protestor leadership an opportunity to put their foots in their mouth and possibly loose support and steam when moderates want to distance themselves with the movement.

Farmer's are apparently joining now. Who's next? Unless you don't think there's anyone else in the country who feels ostracized.

Personally I can't stand protestors blocking citizens from going where they want. At all. I would take someone sitting outside of my house blaring a horn a lot less stotically than Ottawa residents are.

But the government played a big part in what brought this to pass, pretending it will go away probably won't end how they think.
Maybe put away the fuck Trudeau signs and stop asking to have the government dissolved. That might be a good first step. Middle ground is not something being offered by any side.

At this point this is just hilarious and can only go south, the stand offs of the stupid is only escalading into a prolonged mess. This is all nicely contributing to whatever is destructive to Confederation, which is a good thing sitting from my chair in the West. Just get rid of all restrictions like the demonstrators want and when the sixth wave comes we can all point at the real problem - our crappy healthcare system. It's a bad idea implemented poorly.

Well there are a few people I think who spent a lot of money who are not going to be reimbursed now.

GoFundMe stated in the PR the money would go to credible established charities.

Imagine if the Trudeau Foundation got some of this? I’d die laughing so hard 🤣 I don’t know if I could take that kind of irony.

Back