• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Yeah, that’s not what mobility rights means, but anyway I’ll otherwise pipe down and wait for the court decisions. Jurisprudence suggests they will not support your interpretation.
Is imprisoning or abducting someone removing their mobility rights then? You never bothered to comment on Lumber's statement, which I had quoted.

Removing someone's ability to travel interprovincially is a denial of mobility rights. So is creating legislation to prevent them from working for the government or government regulated industries, while signaling to all employers in the country to follow suit. Are you arguing that unvaccinated Canadians were fully able to move between provinces and gain a livelihood? ...or was government legislation preventing/restricting this? Also what was deemed "reasonable" action in May 2020, at the start of the pandemic when little was known about how the virus transmits, is arguably different from what should have been considered reasonable in October 2021.

The clown show that came to town and the clown show that received them doesn't show a good light on this being a serious country.

Well look at the two clowns, Trudeau and Singh, who are ruining running this country.

Is imprisoning or abducting someone removing their mobility rights then? You never bothered to comment on Lumber's statement, which I had quoted.

Removing someone's ability to travel interprovincially is a denial of mobility rights. So is creating legislation to prevent them from working for the government or government regulated industries, while signaling to all employers in the country to follow suit. Are you arguing that unvaccinated Canadians were fully able to move between provinces and gain a livelihood? ...or was government legislation preventing/restricting this? Also what was deemed "reasonable" action in May 2020, at the start of the pandemic when little was known about how the virus transmits, is arguably different from what should have been considered reasonable in October 2021.
Arguing this with you is not worth my time. I’ll watch the court cases.

Conditions of employment are set by the employer. If being vaccinated is part of that then so be it. No different than any other condition of employment. You can either meet those conditions or not. You can be denied use of any mode of regulated modes of transportation for a variety of reasons. Planes, trains etc. If the conditions of use are reasonable then you must meet those conditions or find alternatives.

As stated, these things have all been held up in court against various challenges.

Conditions of employment are set by the employer. If being vaccinated is part of that then so be it.

The guys who pick up our garbage are vaxxed, or unemployed.

You can't even shovel horse, cow, goat, sheep, pig or chicken sh$t at the city farm without being vaxxed.

( Yeah, I knew a guy they sent there for DUI, till he got his licence back. Said if it wasn't for the pay cut, he would have stayed there. :) )

We even had to get vaxed annually for influenza.

Some data on reactions to the inquiry and what has come out so far. Western numbers are bit surprising.
I have to wonder where the funding comes from. I found a couple of the major National survey groups who were "impartial" actually using incorrect data to support the people funding them. Their information led to Canadians being mislead on those subject which had negative impact across the country. Sometimes these surveys are leaning more to support JT and less to tell the truth.

If anyone’s interested, here’s a pretty short and clear judge’s written decision on some criminal charges arising out of the final weekend. Basically dude went up a police link on Sparks Street, tried some Pseudolegal nonsense with officers, and eventually sat down when told to move. He was arrested and charged for obstruction and mischief. Convicted on the obstruction, acquitted on the mischief (he was found to have a insufficiently proven connection to the larger protest).

The written decision gives some good insight into what the judge considered. Tellingly, the judge made a point of stating unequivocally stating his belief that the convoy writ large was committing the offence of mischief:

[27] There is, in my mind, no doubt that the Freedom Convoy protesters committed the offence of mischief by way of interfering with the use and enjoyment of property of the residents of downtown Ottawa. It seems to be a misconception of those from outside this city that Ottawa only consists of federal institutions. In reality, the downtown is a thriving area occupied by countless middle-class and working-class people, who at that time were deprived of even the most basic use and enjoyment of their property – the right to a peaceful night’s sleep and the right to move freely in their own neighbourhood.

[28] According to the evidence before me, the Freedom Convoy mischief – the interference with property by blocking the streets, creating excessive noise and harassing residents – began on January 28. By February 19 police were regaining control of the streets.​

Anyway, not a long read, but an informative one. I believe this is the first written decision regarding criminal charges arising out of the “Freedom Convoy” in Ottawa. And as an Easter egg for those familiar with it, Meads v. Meads makes an appearance.

Some data on reactions to the inquiry and what has come out so far. Western numbers are bit surprising.
Was anybody here ever contacted and surveyed? Anybody personally know someone who was? (Not like “my buddy’s friend’s dad was called…)

I read a lot of comments on the various YouTube videos about Trudeau, the hearings, PP, and Canadian politics in general. I listen when people are discussing it around the metaphorical water cooler, and have chats of my own with various colleagues & friends.

- nobody I know has ever been surveyed about this kind of subject matter, ever.

(But I kid you not I ended up doing a survey for 25 minutes about f**king toothpaste last weekend!)

- nobody that I know is a fan of Trudeau.

Weather in speaking to family in Ontario, Friends and colleagues here in Alberta, or various associates across the mountains in BC… everybody is frustrated by his lack of ability to answer questions, and everybody finds him to be inherently dishonest.

Maybe the surveys are accurate, actually survey real people, and I’m just out of touch. That’s very very possible.

The Canadians were sick and tired of the ridiculous Covid restrictions at the time. So frustrated that people from all over the country converged on Ottawa to cause disruption, and be such a headache that the government couldn’t ignore the pulse of the people any longer.

Sure, there’s always some idiots in every group. There were things done during the protest that the public very much disapproves of. However, I don’t think the public is “in hindsight” supportive of Trudeau invoking the EA… especially now but so much more information has come out.

My 2 cents

Was anybody here ever contacted and surveyed? Anybody personally know someone who was? (Not like “my buddy’s friend’s dad was called…)

I read a lot of comments on the various YouTube videos about Trudeau, the hearings, PP, and Canadian politics in general. I listen when people are discussing it around the metaphorical water cooler, and have chats of my own with various colleagues & friends.

- nobody I know has ever been surveyed about this kind of subject matter, ever.

(But I kid you not I ended up doing a survey for 25 minutes about f**king toothpaste last weekend!)

- nobody that I know is a fan of Trudeau.

Weather in speaking to family in Ontario, Friends and colleagues here in Alberta, or various associates across the mountains in BC… everybody is frustrated by his lack of ability to answer questions, and everybody finds him to be inherently dishonest.

Maybe the surveys are accurate, actually survey real people, and I’m just out of touch. That’s very very possible.

The Canadians were sick and tired of the ridiculous Covid restrictions at the time. So frustrated that people from all over the country converged on Ottawa to cause disruption, and be such a headache that the government couldn’t ignore the pulse of the people any longer.

Sure, there’s always some idiots in every group. There were things done during the protest that the public very much disapproves of. However, I don’t think the public is “in hindsight” supportive of Trudeau invoking the EA… especially now but so much more information has come out.

My 2 cents
In all of my (71) years, I've been contacted by a survey or polling firm, or been tagged for an online survey outside of consumer topics a grand total of once. I realize there are demographic profiles that they create, but I'll just chalk it up to odds and number. That and we seldom answer a caller on the display that we don't recognize, so maybe we're missing out. We also still have a landline, so maybe that's part of the profile thing that excludes us.

I'll accept the integrity of what a profession 'opinion' company does, but recognize that question structure and the flow of questions can lead responses. I would guess that most Canadians don't get the interplay of the protests (Ottawa, Windsor, etc.) and the timing of the EA. The EA and the two major protests all happened within days of each other, and I suspect many recall that 'EA came in, protests went away, must have worked'. With only a reported 16% of respondents following the hearings, I don't expect it is moving too many needles.

Whether the protests were righteous but just afflicted with some misguided scamps has been hashed to death, here and elsewhere.

I’ve received a number of polling calls, don’t sure I’ve ever actually sat through a set of questions.

This is an old story but I just read about it and it's got me fired up. This is for any f*head who has ever uttered the words "Trudeau is a tyrant" or that "we live in a dictatorship" in Canada. Kindly go f* you hat. We have it so well here:

I Australian women to sue Qatar over forced invasive examinations at Doha airport
Different countries and different levels of expectations regarding laws, cultural aspects and stupidity. We need to bring these countries to our level, not go down to theirs. We are not perfect, but we are the best in the world we live in. We need to strive to maintain that, not loose ground to governments who envy communist rule and heavy handedness who hide in bunkers and retreats when the going get tough. AKA protest group they label as racists, bigots, fringe minority because they do not agree with what they are saying.

In all of my (71) years, I've been contacted by a survey or polling firm, or been tagged for an online survey outside of consumer topics a grand total of once.
Even consumer testing.

As far as they are concerned, anyone over 65 can shove off on an ice flow.

You can sign up to become a tester if:

check.jpg
You are between the ages of 18-65

Back