• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

From NCM to Officer(Already have a university degree)

Dp2000

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a recent graduate from university and have a degree in finance. I had initially applied as an infantry officer but changed my desired occupation to Financial Services Administrator(NCM) role. I just got my offer letter today and and am unsure how I feel about it. Officer positions do seem to have better pay and a lot more opportunities in the future, however due to family pressures and not being sure if I had made the right decision I changed my occupation. I didn't find too much information online so I thought I might write here, it says in my contract that this is a 3 year service and by the time it is over I would be 27. How hard would it be for me to switch to an officer position in the future if I were to apply after 3 years? and is it possible to be considered for an officer position before the 3 years considering I do already have a university degree?

Hi,

I am a recent graduate from university and have a degree in finance. I had initially applied as an infantry officer but changed my desired occupation to Financial Services Administrator(NCM) role. I just got my offer letter today and and am unsure how I feel about it. Officer positions do seem to have better pay and a lot more opportunities in the future, however due to family pressures and not being sure if I had made the right decision I changed my occupation. I didn't find too much information online so I thought I might write here, it says in my contract that this is a 3 year service and by the time it is over I would be 27. How hard would it be for me to switch to an officer position in the future if I were to apply after 3 years? and is it possible to be considered for an officer position before the 3 years considering I do already have a university degree?
For the most common means for an NCM to become an Officer is the Commissioning from the Ranks program. For this you need to be in a minimum of 10 years and hold the substantive rank of Sgt/PO 2. This is also a competitive program with only so many personnel selected every year, so it might take more than one year of applying. For all the details see this link: DAOD 5002-10, Commissioning from the Ranks Plan - Canada.ca

My advice is if you want to be an Officer then apply to be one now and don't become an NCM and then apply to become an officer.

Back