• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

From NCM to Officer(Already have a university degree)

Dp2000

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a recent graduate from university and have a degree in finance. I had initially applied as an infantry officer but changed my desired occupation to Financial Services Administrator(NCM) role. I just got my offer letter today and and am unsure how I feel about it. Officer positions do seem to have better pay and a lot more opportunities in the future, however due to family pressures and not being sure if I had made the right decision I changed my occupation. I didn't find too much information online so I thought I might write here, it says in my contract that this is a 3 year service and by the time it is over I would be 27. How hard would it be for me to switch to an officer position in the future if I were to apply after 3 years? and is it possible to be considered for an officer position before the 3 years considering I do already have a university degree?

Hi,

I am a recent graduate from university and have a degree in finance. I had initially applied as an infantry officer but changed my desired occupation to Financial Services Administrator(NCM) role. I just got my offer letter today and and am unsure how I feel about it. Officer positions do seem to have better pay and a lot more opportunities in the future, however due to family pressures and not being sure if I had made the right decision I changed my occupation. I didn't find too much information online so I thought I might write here, it says in my contract that this is a 3 year service and by the time it is over I would be 27. How hard would it be for me to switch to an officer position in the future if I were to apply after 3 years? and is it possible to be considered for an officer position before the 3 years considering I do already have a university degree?
For the most common means for an NCM to become an Officer is the Commissioning from the Ranks program. For this you need to be in a minimum of 10 years and hold the substantive rank of Sgt/PO 2. This is also a competitive program with only so many personnel selected every year, so it might take more than one year of applying. For all the details see this link: DAOD 5002-10, Commissioning from the Ranks Plan - Canada.ca

My advice is if you want to be an Officer then apply to be one now and don't become an NCM and then apply to become an officer.

Hi,

If you have a degree in Finance, and clearly showed some interest in money matters, as you applied to be an FSA, why not apply to be a Logistics Officer? If you want to continue to specialize in Finance, try and get assigned as either an Air Force or Army LogO. If you would rather be a jack-of-all trades, go Navy LogO.

If you have a degree in Finance, and clearly showed some interest in money matters, as you applied to be an FSA, why not apply to be a Logistics Officer? If you want to continue to specialize in Finance, try and get assigned as either an Air Force or Army LogO. If you would rather be a jack-of-all trades, go Navy LogO.
Would I still be able to request it after I received my offer letter? As I just got my offer letter yesterday, and I had already asked them once to switch my desired occupation from infantry officer to Financial services administrator.

Until you sign the dotted line, you can do whatever you want. If they refuse to work with you, just turn down the offer, tell them to close the application, then do a literal 360 spin and say "Hi I'm Dp2000, I'm here to apply to be a Logistics Officer."

(actual results may very, talk to your recruiter)

Would I still be able to request it after I received my offer letter? As I just got my offer letter yesterday, and I had already asked them once to switch my desired occupation from infantry officer to Financial services administrator.
Infantry officer is an officer position.
Financial; Services Administrator is an NCM position.
Big difference! Call your recruiting centre now if you no longer want to go Infantry officer.

Back