• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

g-wagon crew commander

Infanteer said:
Just picking up on this - I've done some considerable staff work on this in the past for various reasons.

The two documents that define crew commander requirements are B-GL-381-001 Training Safety and and LFCO on vehicles (can't recall the number of the top of my head).

Critically, a vehicle that has separate compartments for crew members is deemed to be a crewed vehicle.  An LUVW is explicitly listed as a non-crewed vehicle (so, for that matter, is the RG-31).

381 states crew commanders are required when coordination is required to move and shoot a vehicle a vehicle in a tactical environment.  So, to me, shooting static from a vehicle that isn't listed as a crewed vehicle doesn't require a qualified crew commander.  The Armoured School may promulgate its own, more restrictive, regulations but IAW my reading of all applicable Army regulations a crew commander is not required.

It's important to hit the books and understand policy - people will default to "SME" status and say "it's policy" when they don't know or have forgotten what specific policy states.  I've had people try to say no to something or try to throw roadblocks up quoting some obscure policy only to blow fishkisses when I asked for the specific reference.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, part of it is understanding the appropriate terminology used by the different trades.  Case in point, I should have said indirect-live fire exercise so as not to be mistaken for 'fire and movement'.  In the artillery virtually all of our exercises are live fire, indirect live fire as compared to what it seems armd recce would consider a live fire exercise i.e. fire and movement, which isn't generally practiced by the reserve artillery.

The challenge remains that our iltis was replaced by the Milcot which had an adverse impact on the mobility of our FOOs.  I have yet to be on a weekend exercise where a Milcot or 2 don't get stuck.  And for some reason a tow strap isn't standard kit in a milcot.

Regarding radios in our unit, I'm told we have Manpacks x 6, Milcots w/radios x 8, MSVS w/radio mounts x 3 (however there are no radios in them), CP x 2 with dual mounts.  But that isn't tracking with what I've seen on previous exercises, so time will tell with what kit shows up for ex.  Keep in mind that this represents the combined resources of all the artillery in the Bde as we join together to train.

Thanks again to everyone for your insights and comments on this subject.

redseer said:
In the artillery virtually all of our exercises are live fire, indirect live fire as compared to what it seems armd recce would consider a live fire exercise i.e. fire and movement, which isn't generally practiced by the reserve artillery.

So, no BFAs?

redseer said:
The challenge remains that our iltis was replaced by the Milcot which had an adverse impact on the mobility of our FOOs.  I have yet to be on a weekend exercise where a Milcot or 2 don't get stuck.  And for some reason a tow strap isn't standard kit in a milcot.

Maybe get your Quartermaster to buy some?

redseer said:
Regarding radios in our unit, I'm told we have Manpacks x 6, Milcots w/radios x 8, MSVS w/radio mounts x 3 (however there are no radios in them), CP x 2 with dual mounts.  But that isn't tracking with what I've seen on previous exercises, so time will tell with what kit shows up for ex.  Keep in mind that this represents the combined resources of all the artillery in the Bde as we join together to train.

You do know you can insert manpacks into the radio trays as long as you have the hookups and wiring for it? If not, do what most units do. Open a back window and stick the antenna out.

Bzzliteyr said:
You do know you can insert manpacks into the radio trays as long as you have the hookups and wiring for it? If not, do what most units do. Open a back window and stick the antenna out.

Manpacks operating inside a vehicle with the "manpack" whips attached is an absolute last resort due to the safety concerns of RADHAZ in an enclosed space. You also should not be modifying manpack-configured radios to fit into a vehicle slot. Try ordering the radio(s) that are supposed to be part of the comm suite?

PuckChaser said:
Manpacks operating inside a vehicle with the "manpack" whips attached is an absolute last resort due to the safety concerns of RADHAZ in an enclosed space. You also should not be modifying manpack-configured radios to fit into a vehicle slot. Try ordering the radio(s) that are supposed to be part of the comm suite?

You do know were talking about Reserves here, right?

You might as well order a Sqn of Leopards or a flight of CF-18's.

As for the rest of your post, because of hand me down equipment and band aid solutions it's something the reserves have been doing since we did it with 510's. It's done out of necessity to train and make do with the castoffs that they've been given.

Most of us are more brain damaged from ration water and aluminum pots that anyone is from RAZHAD.

PuckChaser said:

And that falls back to unit entitlements....besides it's very easy to make a man pack radio into a vehicle mounted one...all that has to be removed is the battery plate...

NFLD Sapper said:
And that falls back to unit entitlements....besides it's very easy to make a man pack radio into a vehicle mounted one...all that has to be removed is the battery plate...

Um, that's the job of a spec pay ATCIS tech, isn't it?

recceguy said:
You do know were talking about Reserves here, right?

Absolutely, which is why the safety warning I have in my inbox says last resort only.

I'm curious as to how many units have actually tried to order the proper vehicle radios via the supply system, or deviated them from the comm suite to order the proper entitlement? Can always use safety concerns to justify radios, if the LCMM won't release them.

Took me a year in a pri 4 unit (PRes should be pri 5?), however I finally got my radio entitlement increased to meet the needs of every vehicle comm suite I had on the DA.

Just because something is easy, doesn't make it right. Its easy to remove an alternator from a grounded truck and put it in another one, but you'd get hung for doing that. Radios are allotted in manpack variant, or vehicle mount, and aren't supposed to be moved.

PuckChaser said:
Just because something is easy, doesn't make it right. Its easy to remove an alternator from a grounded truck and put it in another one, but you'd get hung for doing that. Radios are allotted in manpack variant, or vehicle mount, and aren't supposed to be moved.

And to think of all those times I swapped radios/CIs in my troop to get vehicles ungrounded... oops (I jotted down the serial numbers and as the Pronto, I knew what I was doing)

PuckChaser said:
Absolutely, which is why the safety warning I have in my inbox says last resort only.

I'm curious as to how many units have actually tried to order the proper vehicle radios via the supply system, or deviated them from the comm suite to order the proper entitlement? Can always use safety concerns to justify radios, if the LCMM won't release them.

Took me a year in a pri 4 unit (PRes should be pri 5?), however I finally got my radio entitlement increased to meet the needs of every vehicle comm suite I had on the DA.

Our unit has been trying to get the amplifiers for our G Wagon since they entered service.

I've been around a long, long time. Please don't try humour me about fighting for entitlements.

recceguy said:
I've been around a long, long time. Please don't try humour me about fighting for entitlements.

I forgot you've been there and done that in the Sigs world. Would you like to run my Sig Stores for me? I'm going on leave next week.  ::)

PuckChaser said:
I forgot you've been there and done that in the Sigs world. Would you like to run my Sig Stores for me? I'm going on leave next week.  ::)

You don't have to get snarky because you don't like the truth. I was simply saying it isn't as easy as you try make out.

Like my example for the amps. We're entitled, have been constantly requisitioning them for years, just like you say, but aren't getting them.

Why?

I guess a Sigs guy running a Sigs store likely wouldn't have much trouble ordering Sigs stuff, considering the way you guys hang on to it.

I guess that's why the rest of the Res put manpacks in the cabs, because you have all the good stuff on your shelves. If you issued it out, you'd have nothing to count right? ;)

NFLD Spr, Buzz, recceguy.....you're not going to win this.

This Sigs world IS the most unionized in the CAF; I've never seen a group more resistant to change and willing to punish initiative.....has been since Donny Banks was 5' tall.

Oh, wait......

To explain the supply system to young lads, I drew a dot with 3 circles around it and then a stick figure outside the circle. The dot is the item you need and the stick figure is you. The circles represent the layers of NO that you must fight through to get the dot. Then there is the unofficial supply system that the RQMS of the various reserve units have, basically horse trading between the units.

Colin P said:
To explain the supply system to young lads, I drew a dot with 3 circles around it and then a stick figure outside the circle. The dot is the item you need and the stick figure is you. The circles represent the layers of NO that you must fight through to get the dot. Then there is the unofficial supply system that the RQMS of the various reserve units have, basically horse trading between the units.

Only three circles?  :)

There is also an alternative to placing an a manpack radio inside the cab you could do what a Sqdn Warrant did in the late 70:s guntape it to driver's side door on the outside of the vehicle. The vehicle being one the  Dodge Rams  we received the year before.
They were detested for their poor off road ability but still lusted after as  vehicle for the sheer sybaritic  and decadent luxury of the cab which not came with a heater that actually kept one warm  but seats  that would not  leave one crippled for life after driving more then 40 miles. And of course the civilian AM radio  receiver that was usually discussed in hushed reverent tones. :nod:
After a couple of years of use it was stated as I recall because of the the Forces experiences with it that it would  be a cold day in hell before another piece of civilian junk would ever be foisted upon the Forces either Regular or Reserve  .
Mind you I suspect these were the same people who said the Cougar would never  be deployed in an operational theater

Back