• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GBAD - The return of 'FOBS'

Lots of these?
You know me. I like to make use of what we got. Everyone here bitches about the TAPV, but to me the TAPV offers several great features: its mine resistant; it has adequate armour protection against small arms and splinters; it can adequately hold a crew of four; and it has a flat roof where, with a bit of reinforcement, you can mount any number of remote weapon systems like a Moog turret offers.

IMHO, Canada needs a fleet of light armoured vehicles that can mix in with a LAV coy or Leo sqn or cbt tm and provide the close in CUAV, AD coverage that's needed. It's not a place for a pickup truck.

Say a battery of twelve to support a battalion. With 50 you could do the Latvian brigade. That's four batteries. Say a crew of four for 24/7 that 48 bodies - add in another 30 for C&C and CSS and that 320 folks, lets say 80 PYs (roto 0 and leadership) and 240 reservists.

Add another 2 batteries of light systems mounted on whatever the light battalions will get and Bob's your uncle.

There you go. A napkin force that cost $0.02 to produce and didn't need hundreds of thousands in consultant fees and a 5 year project to write a definition and SOR for. Give me another $0.03 and I'll draft a T&OE for you together with a PY/ARes manning source table and a glossy line diagram.

:giggle:

It seems that it's not as easy as it seems to re-purpose existing weapons in new applications.

I wonder what other missile/rocket systems might face similar integration problems on vehicle-mounted applications?
This little beast had roughly the same range as the Longbow and worked just fine in the field almost 3.5 decades ago now.

330px-ADATS_2008.JPG

Maybe Oerlikon can dig out its plans and licence them to Lockheed?

:cool:

Back