• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gen(Retired) Jimmy Cox - Advisor (?) to JTFA Commander

Evocatus

Inactive
Reaction score
Happened via a link, to trip over Mr Cox's open FB profile... 

'We' Canadian taxpayers apparently employed/paid, Mr Cox in some capacity, to travel to Kandahar, and by design/purpose or by happenstance, Jim ended up in conv with Commander JTFA, verbosing his theories on winning the war and stabilizing the region.

Jus saying...

Attachments

• Retired Gen Jimmy Cox - Advisor to Comd JTFA - WTFrack.JPG
    Retired Gen Jimmy Cox - Advisor to Comd JTFA - WTFrack.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 460
A consultant no doubt. Perhaps some people closer to the inner circle can enlighten us.....

Everybody better get their socks sorted out then... or shit will hit the fan.  :nod:

I'm prejudiced ... I know both guys in the pictures, friend may be slightly too strong a word, colleague certainly is not.

A lot of people with a whole helluva lot fewer clues than Jim Cox went to Afghanistan on the public's dime and bent the ears of all and sundry, now and again about things that some of the visiting "experts" actually understood. I have no idea how BGen (ret'd) Cox thought we might win the war. It appears to me, based on the outcomes, that few, if any, of the serving generals, diplomats and very senior officials from 20+ allied countries who were there for a decade and more had any useful ideas about how to win that war, either.

BGen Thompson wasn't Commander JTFA, he was Commander JTF-Afg.  JTFA was/is a Canada Command/CJOC domestic operations formation headquartered in Halifax.

Ah, how we love our acronym soups.

Hopefully he didn't fall in any trenches while he was there.  Excellent BGen a little preoccupied with the colour of the APCs and underwear by but.......  This chest thumping is not out of line.  I wonder if he won the war not......

LOL, his facebook security is nil.  And don't park in front of his house, he calls the cops on ya and takes pictures!

Why, oh why, did I wander into this thread...started having flashbacks to when he was GOC 1CMBG.

Wonder how long his pontifications took to get out...he could still be there trying to explain his first point for all we know.

MM

Lightguns said:
LOL, his facebook security is nil.  And don't park in front of his house, he calls the cops on ya and takes pictures!

Did they catch you? :)

Flash backs go even further to when he was a Coy Comd with a CSM having a similar speech afflictions. Q&A at O Gps tended to go on a bit. [lol:

I keep missing him, but I keep hearing stories about him from people who claimed to be there or third hand accounts.

Before I got to the Bn, my predecessor recounted his winter ex when then LCol Cox was CO and he made everyone dig trenches in Shilo.  The guys came down with poison ivy during winter time.  When he became Comd 1 CMBG, I missed the infamous bde pde where he ranted against soldiers wearing grey socks with mismatching colours and green T shirts with cut off sleeves.  I also missed meeting him again when he was appointed Inspector General for LFC.  I was told that he jumping out from behind plants in the lobby of 101 Colonel By to correct Army personnel's dress and haircuts, and asking people if they saw anything suspicious.
He was, still is a character to be reckoned with.

I actually received an email from him directly when I was working in 31 CBGHQ. Why it was addressed to me is a mystery (it had nothing to do with the branch I was working in nor any related topic), so I forwarded it to the Brigade Adjt. While that officer never (to my knowledge) worked for or with Gen Cox (ret), they immediately treated the message like toxic waste. Obviously his reputation was still well known throughout the forces in the early 2000's.

Lightguns said:
LOL, his facebook security is nil.  !

Maybe he thought that he would be treated with at least a modicum of respect by fellow military professionals.

Clearly he was wrong.

Ohhh come on, what do you say when you talk about old times?  You sit around and remember the funny crap or "I remember him, very inefficient but I respect him".  I remember Pte Frost, a nervous redhead who was so scared of blowing himself up with the grenade he dropped it in the bay.  Sgt Blades laid in him so much he stuttered for the rest of course.  Or the time MCPL Peddridge made us marked time in 3 foot deep mud puddle while sat on the bank smoking just for his amusement.  Generals don't a special card just cause they were generals.  He did stupid stuff and we remember and swap stories.  Heck, I will even laugh at myself.  I remember a time as new arty officer that I got so sleepy that the GPO pointed out to me that my compass skills sucked because I had 3 guns pointed one direction and 1 gun pointing in another direction.  Stupid stuff that happens, all very funny now. 

Jimmy Cox will always be a source of amusement to those you have worked with, for and under him.  As you are to some old soldiers you there.  As I am and everyone on this forum is to someone.  We call war stories and they been telling them since two cavemen join another to steal chicks from two caves over. 

The difference, of course, being that you have named names, while remaining anonymous yourself. 

Thucydides said:
. . .  they immediately treated the message like toxic waste. Obviously his reputation was still well known throughout the forces in the early 2000's.

While BGen Cox may have had his idiosyncrasies, some of the extremes of his antics and reputation have likely been exaggerated in the retelling (and I'm probably as guilty of that as any other on this means).  Prior to being posted to 1 CMBG when he was the Bde Comd, my knowledge of him was limited to tales (taken with a grain of salt) from former phase training coursemates who had the "luck" in getting him as their first bn CO - yes, I heard the stories of TQ4 courses (e.g. Dvr Wheeled and MG) having to dig in and live in trenches in Shilo during the winter.  But those stories were tempered by seeing him several times in the later 1980s on the local Ottawa public access channel (in uniform) discussing the challenges of having a speech impediment and some measures that could be taken to overcome it and be successful.  If I remember correctly, those appearances were well regarded and were publically acknowledged by our leadership as reflecting positively on the CF.

But yes, he did have a reputation for some unique training philosophies.  While most of us would say that "any fool can be uncomfortable" when referring to living and training in the field, Gen Cox apparently believed in a different track - living in the field during training exactly as we would during combat operations, in other words, "train as you fight".  It was somewhat at odds with the mindset of most of  the army of the day.  The execution of that concept was not always successful (nor, IMO, necessarily a good idea in all instances), but that was not always the general's fault.  However, I have seen similar suggestions for Cdn Army training from members in these forums.  I guess going to a shooting war makes a difference.

As for his stammer, yes, it was noticeable.  And we made jokes about it (behind his back).  But I don't recall any occasion when it interfered with him getting his point across, either in an O Gp or (in the circumstance when I most closely interacted with him) during the preparation and presentation of a multi-presenter lecture on CF operations to a hall full of poli sci students at the UofC.

Okay, he can still be the go to standard for jokes about socks and potted plants (I didn't see either of those incidents attributed to him, though I do recall a GOC's inspection in the 1970s when the Bde RSM checked for the old green boxers) but to consider him as "toxic" is probably a bit extreme.  He wasn't the most likeable general that was ever in my chain of command, but he certainly wasn't the worst.  While he wouldn't have been my first choice of a commander to go to war with, he was a lot better than some others.

PPCLI Guy said:
Maybe he thought that he would be treated with at least a modicum of respect by fellow military professionals.

Clearly he was wrong.

And foolish if he ever thought that... What my subordinates say about me behind my back is none of my business. I much prefer to have gained rapport rather than to rely on convention to protect me from the judgement of my subordinates. They have every right to judge my leadership how they see it.

I don't know Mr. Cox and don't pay much credence to reputations (they are far too often inaccurate from my experience), but a higher rank comes with a brighter spotlight shining on it for good reason.

Blackadder1916 said:
But yes, he did have a reputation for some unique training philosophies.  While most of us would say that "any fool can be uncomfortable" when referring to living and training in the field, Gen Cox apparently believed in a different track - living in the field during training exactly as we would during combat operations, in other words, "train as you fight".  It was somewhat at odds with the mindset of most of  the army of the day.  The execution of that concept was not always successful (nor, IMO, necessarily a good idea in all instances), but that was not always the general's fault.  However, I have seen similar suggestions for Cdn Army training from members in these forums.  I guess going to a shooting war makes a difference.

Like I said, reputations are poor evidence to judge someone on. Sounds like the exact same "unique training philosophies" that his son possesses, whom I worked for, and while he could be a very frustrating person to work for due to his certain nuances / idiosyncrasies, he was a long ways off from being weak.

When "Jimmy" hit the Brigade, it was a bit of a shock as he was 180 deg. from his predecessor who was of the mantra that if it makes you more comfortable in the field, go for it.

Wainwright became more "interesting" shall we say after his arrival.  He was indeed of a mindset  that was "train as you fight"  and "the more you sweat in training, the less you'll bleed in combat" school of thought.  I will give him this, he lived exactly the same way he demanded we live.  I respect that.

Back