• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gen(Retired) Jimmy Cox - Advisor (?) to JTFA Commander

2 commanders prior to him was Brian Vernon, who had some similar philosophies about being comfortable with being uncomfortable - if temps were above "x" degrees C, tarps were off the Iltis's and such...and he cared very much about how people performed in the field.  I also found him very personable - had many occasions to discuss my job with him at various stages of the beginning of my career.  BGen Ashton followed him - a little different, as we'd do a full up GOC's inspection, mustered in front of our vehicles and kit, followed by a full on unit level deployment...Gen Vernon wandered about to chat with us in the hangar for GOC's (at least at 1 Fd Amb - he was very concerned about how we functioned in the field though, not what we looked like).  I'd also had a few chats with Gen Ashton about things...like why none of us had bayonets on our webbing as a for instance.  I actually remember my CO visibly blanching when I noted that while there were many in the QM, we weren't issued them.  When pressed, I let the CO off the hook by saying many thought of them as offensive weapons, so we weren't issued them.  Then came BGen Cox...and his "hardness training" as some folks called it.  I think that if you can make it through a few years in field units with the crap we were issued in the 80's and 90's to keep us allegedly protected from the elements, you were reasonably mentally and physically resilient.  I actually enjoyed some of our exercises, since we just went out to Wainwright or Sarcee, cammed up as we hit the gates, and trained for a week or two straight then went home, since those were when budgets were at a premium.  We were required to shoot to qualify pretty much monthly/quarterly at one point IIRC - again, something useful and important given the operational tempo we had in the early/mid 90's.  Personally, the man never gave me a second glance, much less spoke to me, in the numerous times we'd crossed paths - I'm 6'2" and he is of a height where I'm sure he'd add in the extra 1/8" if asked his - he didn't like talking to or looking up at tall folks.  If you look at those pics above, you'll notice he's sitting higher than the dude he's pontificating to.  I missed GOC's with him due to deployments and courses...I heard all the fun stories from platoon mates though about how he'd rag out people because they had new socks in their rucksacks and other weird stuff.  I broke my ankle just prior to the COP COBRA '95 fiasco going to and in Suffield, so missed out on it...then was posted.  One of the platoon leaders in my current reserve unit was a Pte with 3 RCR when he was the CO - I've heard a variety of things, often the same as other things I'd heard from others that were there as well. 

MM

I was there for Vernon, Ashton and Cox. They were different cats that's for sure.  Never really like the transit to Wainwright in the Iltis in the late fall to early spring period.  Too fucking cold inside.  Luckily those horse blankets masquerading as ranger blankets were good for dividing the interior of the jeep and give the pos heater a chance to do it's job.  Thank fuck for Norwegian sweaters and American jacket liners.

medicineman said:
I heard all the fun stories from platoon mates though about how he'd rag out people because they had new socks in their rucksacks

OK, I give, why is this a bad thing?

daftandbarmy said:
Which part?  The ragging or the socks?

Why are we talking about this man anyways?  He is long retired, Let the personality cult (good or bad) die already.

Humphrey Bogart said:
Which part?  The ragging or the socks?

Why are we talking about this man anyways?  He is long retired, Let the personality cult (good or bad) die already.

But, but, but I just HAVE to know why having new socks in your ruck is a bad thing ... pleeeeeeeeeze?

Because the coloured wool on the toes is guaranteed to match and he can't rag on anybody for that...?

Seriously, though, I only ever had one encounter with him, and it was positive. Then-Lieutenant-Colonel Cox had just arrived in Petawawa as the Base Commander in 1992 and I was about to leave for Downsview on my next posting. I was acting as an Assisting Officer for a female Corporal, the victim of unbelievably disgusting harassment, including death threats, and I had to brief him on some delicate circumstances and recommend the only just course of action. I don't recall hearing any stories about him before that, but I was advised that if I did not get him going in the right direction immediately, the cause would be irrevocably lost. He certainly did the right thing that time.

I still enjoy the tales, though.

daftandbarmy said:

Second hand - that they'd wreck his feet on a ruck march??!!

First time I met Gen Vernon was actually kinda funny - some guy was changing in the locker room at the gym and mentioned it was a good day for winter warfare training...at about -40'ish outside.  I quipped that I thought winter and warfare were two completely contradictory terms.  He asked why - I told that after a certain point, nothing works right, including people and equipment.  That was when I noticed the new garrison dress - he was one of 3 people on Base with it at the time...and he was looking a little closely at my unit epaulettes and my name tape...

MM

I had two direct dealings with Mr Cox when he was BComd Petawawa in about 1992. The first was negative- he decreed that to eat in the Officers Mess, one had to be in uniform or jacket and tie- regardless of the summer weather of 33C plus humidex. The living in population plummeted from over a hundred to nearly nothing in the space of a few months. I do not think that either Normandy or  Rhine Ruhr officers Mess ever fully recovered. I never fully forgave him for destroying what was in my mind a fairly unique level of inter unit trust and cooperation, as up until then, the majority of the junior officers in the brigade knew each other by first name and trusted each other. After that, people tended not to socialize outside of unit lines very much.

The second was in the field and was more positive. My Troop was conducting a basic mountain ops course and repelling/climbing the cliffs on the Petawawa River. He stopped by with his driver, watched the training (without getting in the way), mingled with the troops and asked good questions. I had heard the horror stories of him jacking troops improperly dressed on the other side of range control. Apparently, he was happy with my troops, as nary a harsh word was issued.

Back