• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

AbdullahD said:
Is this satire? Get 15k for being fired??? What about UI, like us plebs?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/house-of-commons-transition-services-1.5335399

I don't really have a problem with it because it is something that is being made available to all party's.  They give up their previous jobs and most likely can't go back to them and depending on their age, might have a tough time finding meaningful employment.  When Reg Force mbr's get medically released, they are basically getting fired and we get a package to try to help us have an easier reintegration in to civilian life. 

The training and education program seems generous for veterans.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/education-and-jobs/back-to-school/education-training-benefit

stellarpanther said:
I don't really have a problem with it because it is something that is being made available to all party's.  They give up their previous jobs and most likely can't go back to them and depending on their age, might have a tough time finding meaningful employment.  When Reg Force mbr's get medically released, they are basically getting fired and we get a package to try to help us have an easier reintegration in to civilian life.

So if I get released from my job, having given up my previous vocation, do I deserve a hand out as well over and above UI?

Most politicians will have post secondary education of some sort, the average Canadian will not. Consulting positions or activist positions are far more readily available for outed politicians then average Canadians. Not to mention do they not get a hefty pension and other benefits? I think politicians do not need any extra special help, but we could always ask those who are faced with losing their job right now or have lost?

Sorry I am a small government kind of person and I think they should just recieve UI, not extra's on top. They should be in it, to serve Canada, not get rich.. policies enacted by politicians that help politicians raise my eyebrows.

Canadian Forces members to me is a seperate issue,  they should be taken care of. Until politicians stop lying to us, I wont support giving them a cushy life.. waste of money to me.

Also politicians do not run the risk of ending up dead, if they screw up at work. For that price I think our boys should be taken care of.

Now having said that, I think everyone should do their best to take care of themselves. Plan, budget and prepare for the worst case scenarions. Instead of relying on handouts.

But I suspect we will agree to disagree.
Abdullah

mariomike said:
Shocking. How could anyone be a cheerleader for an individual like that?

A comment about Trump, right on time.
Didn't you just make a post about keeping American politics out of the Canadian politics thread?

Anyone who has been an MP, even if they somehow became one having nothing (unlikely), will have built a network that most people can only dream of. That network in infinitely more valuable than career transition services, further education, etc. If I could pay $15k for a network like that, I'd do it immediately. They are not going to have any problems finding "meaningful" employment.

That is all ignoring the fact that most politicians are already well-established, well-educated, and greatly networked in order to actually get the job in the first place.

I knew my previous MP very well before he lost in the 2015 election.  He is now working as a staffer in one of the other MP's office not making that much money.  So, contrary to popular belief, life is not easy for them once they lose an election and are not old enough to collect a pension.

stellarpanther said:
I knew my previous MP very well before he lost in the 2015 election.  He is now working as a staffer in one of the other MP's office not making that much money.  So, contrary to popular belief, life is not easy for them once they lose an election and are not old enough to collect a pension.

Assuming a Director of ‘something’ for the other MP, vice photocopy clerk, so an Exempt Public Service EX-01 position as a political staffer is not really too much of a hardship.

:2c:

Good2Golf said:
Assuming a Director of ‘something’ for the other MP, vice photocopy clerk, so an Exempt Public Service EX-01 position as a political staffer is not really too much of a hardship.

I don't know his current salary but I heard second hand that he is not even making half of what he made as an MP.  I don't think $15k is that much to help them try to get themselves back on their feet. 

stellarpanther said:
I don't know his current salary but I heard second hand that he is not even making half of what he made as an MP.  I don't think $15k is that much to help them try to get themselves back on their feet.

Half of what he made as an MP, so $85k + benefits? What's the name, I'm sure we can figure all this out. Also curious to know if that's an improvement on what they were making before they became an MP, because that's also likely.

stellarpanther said:

One person, one instance, that is a far cry from their reality Ballz has pointed out.

But then again half an MPs wage, is still dang good money in Canada... but what's his name.. im interested for fact checking.

Good2Golf said:
... an Exempt Public Service EX-01 position as a political staffer is not really too much of a hardship.
To be fair, with an EX-01 starting at just under $106K, "not making that much money" depends on what "a staffer in one of the other MP's office" exactly means. 

Base salary for an MP these days is just under $179K/year - plus travel, plus office-running money, etc.

You're bang on about political staff for Ministers, especially senior Ministers, making at least EX-01 pay.

If Former MP Guy is a Constituency Assistant (the people in the local office, helping folks with enquiries, EI, Phoenix, pension, etc.) for another MP, though, according to an ad from 2017, he'd be making in the $55K range (let's say $58K in today bucks). 

If former MP is a Legislative Assistant based in an MP's office in Ottawa he'd be making between $30K & $70K/year, depending on experience.

Good2Golf said:

An "MP's employees" are not in PS or exempt positions.  Their pay comes from the Member's office budget and the individuals are considered as "employees of the MP".

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Content/MAS/mas-e.pdf
3.Member’s Office Budget

The Board of Internal Economy sets the Member’s Office Budget (MOB).

The MOB consists of a basic budget and in some cases, an Elector Supplement and/or a Geographic Supplement for Members who represent densely populated or geographically large constituencies. Members whose constituencies are located in areas of the country where transportation and communication facilities may be restricted, as listed in Schedule 3 of the Canada Elections Act, also receive a Schedule 3 Supplement. The MOB is allocated each fiscal year on April 1. The Board may adjust the budget from time to time.

Members use the MOB to pay employee salaries, service contracts, some operating and travel costs, and other expenses, as determined by the Board. Members are responsible for the management of these resources and must operate within their allocated budget, as they are personally responsible for paying expenditures exceeding their budget.

The MOB includes:
•Basic budget: The basic budget for the 2019-2020 fiscal year is set at $363,600 for all constituencies
•Elector Supplement: Members who represent densely populated constituencies receive an Elector Supplement. This graduated supplement is added to the basic budget when there are70,000 electors or more on the Final Lists of Electors for the Member’s constituency, as published by the Chief Electoral Officer after an election. The Elector Supplement remains in effect for the duration of Parliament.

The maximum annual salary for an MP's employee is currently $88,300.

AbdullahD said:
One person, one instance, that is a far cry from their reality Ballz has pointed out.

But then again half an MPs wage, is still dang good money in Canada... but what's his name.. im interested for fact checking.
;t
I'll keep that to myself as some people knew I was friends with my MP which they didn't like. It's quite possible that some of them could be on this site and my naming him could also reveal my identity which I prefer to keep anonymous.

Secondly, I don't like to be accused of lying which is basically what you are doing since you feel the need to fact check what I'm saying.

stellarpanther said:
Secondly, I don't like to be accused of lying which is basically what you are doing since you feel the need to fact check what I'm saying.

Send the name via PM?

That's an odd way to take it considering you don't actually know the info/answers we're trying to figure out here. You can't be accused of lying when you haven't provided any info to start with. I don't think anything I said suggested you were lying.

stellarpanther said:
;t
I'll keep that to myself as some people knew I was friends with my MP which they didn't like. It's quite possible that some of them could be on this site and my naming him could also reveal my identity which I prefer to keep anonymous.

If I knew you, which I don't. I would have a greater ability to decide wether or not you can or can not be trusted. It is the internet, my assumptions of everyone on the internet is that they are potentially lying or misrepresenting the truth.

Maybe you are telling me what you think is the truth, maybe you were lied to. I do not know. The fact of the matter remains, even if you are 100% honest or lying.. it is not representative of all MPs. One isolated case does not make a trend.

I prefer to fact check everything I can. It is not intended to insult anyone, in fact if what I find supports someomes statements I tend to trust a them more. Like say Mike, he basically fact checks himself in every post, so if he says something I trust it usually.

I am a fairly critical person and I like to gripe and whine occasionally which can be seen here, my vociferous defense of certain things. You have quoted me directly, so hence my explanation post.

As it stands, I hold my earlier position still.. because I find that it is the logical factual one. I also personally know NDP staffers, christ my cousin married the dang guy.. poor choice on her part ;) but I had great chats with him on many political subjects, I am not close minded.. I just want facts. If the majority of MPs who get unseated face financial, political and emotional hardships. I want to know, maybe I am being to hard and they fall through the cracks somehow. If that's the case, I will likely change my opinion. But I doubt it.

Any rate, did not mean to offend.
Abdullah

AbdullahD said:
But then again half an MPs wage, is still dang good money in Canada...

Yes it is...and is the same rate paid to a Sgt Spec2 IPC 4, a newly promoted MWO, and a Capt with 2 years.

And if you want a job where a group of people can get you 'fired' every 4 years or less, based on a popularity contest that you cant control, then go right ahead...…..I like my stability.

If you want to attract people to public office, you need to provide some incentives.  Top talent likely take a loss to income.  the average Joe who runs and truly represents the general population tajkes a massive risk on stability.

I also think that people's pre conceived ideas about politicians makes them think that the average MP gets a soft landing in a cushy post MP job.  Which is more the exception than the rule.  Some have businesses they return to, or law practices or medical practices or what not.  Many struggle to find gainful employment or try to get back to what they were doing before.  A lot have to pound the pavement for work like anyone else. 

Unless you were a cabinet minister, leader or something high profile, you aren't getting high paid consulting work. 

Also, it would be interesting to see who accesses the 15k transition assistance. I don't think its everyone. 

For anyone interested in the pension plan for members of parliament,
https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/pension-plan/pension-publications/reports/administration-members-parliament-retiring-allowances-act-report/frequently-asked-questions-changes-members-parliament-pension-plan.html

mariomike said:
For anyone interested in the pension plan for members of parliament,
https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/pension-plan/pension-publications/reports/administration-members-parliament-retiring-allowances-act-report/frequently-asked-questions-changes-members-parliament-pension-plan.html

Also that pension plan may be why we might not see an election for at least 2 years. A lot of NDP members will want their 6 years before the next election...

Back