• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

I'm sure I'll be proven wrong but I think this will last because no other party wants to see the CPC running the country.

PPCLI Guy said:
History suggests 18-24 months.  Time enough for the Conservatives to search their souls and chose a leader of their party ready to be the leader of the the country.....

... and the best man for that job is probably a female conservative MP, IMHO

stellarpanther said:
I'm sure I'll be proven wrong but I think this will last because no other party wants to see the CPC running the country.

Unless the NDP think they can steal it... I'd love CPC minority with NDP official opposition.

Remius said:
Lisa Raitt, currently behind.

Jane philpot, JWR behind as well.

Does that lend credence to the idea that Liberals are fake feminists like their leader?

Jarnhamar said:
How long could we expect a minority government to last?

The Bloc can prop the Liberals up on their own. The NDP/Green or possibly NDP on their own will probably also be able to. The Liberals will have a lot of options... They’re good for a while; they won’t fall until both Bloc and NDP each think that they stand to gain from an early election.

We’re also sitting with not many polls reporting still in many areas, so little is yet carved in stone.

Beauce is being called for the CPC. The PPC look to have been completely shut out, which I think is a very good thing for Canada.

The NDP is broke and won’t want another campaign anytime soon.

Jarnhamar said:
Are Conservatives winning the popular vote?

Pretty much what the pollsters were saying.  33% each.  CPC à fraction ahead.

Correction:  34 for the CPC, 33.7 for the LPC

Welp, I’m out. First thing in the morning. Hope to see some of you over on army.ab someday.

Remius said:
Pretty much what the pollsters were saying.  33% each.  CPC à fraction ahead.

Correction:  34 for the CPC, 33.7 for the LPC

Mariomike does this mean you're going to be arguing that Scheer should have won the election? ;)

The CPC ran a terrible campaign. I hope heads roll.

On the Liberal side, it looks like Ralph Goodale might be finished in Regina.

So the Libs will form a minority government or at least try to. A new election in 18 to 24 months ?

tomahawk6 said:
So the Libs will form a minority government or at least try to. A new election in 18 to 24 months ?

That’s a possible timeframe.  But the NDP is broke and needs time to fill their coffers. They will prop up the LPC for a while.

tomahawk6 said:

Yes- they are only about a dozen short of a majority. I would expect they will make deal with the NDP. Or the NDP may decide to just support them on an issue by issue basis.

The interesting thing is what this means for Elizabeth May. She might be finished, too. 3(ish) seats for the Greens is not the bearkthrough they were hoping for.

The willingness of an opposition party to go along with defeating a minority will depend on whether it has funds to fight an election and whether it likes the leader it has.  If, for example, the NDP is low on funds and decides to blame underperformance (looking at about 25 elected/leading at this moment, with final poll aggregations having predicted 32+) on Singh, the NDP will not be in a hurry to defeat the government.

Likewise, if the CPC fails to hit 125 to 130, it might want to replace Scheer before defeating a minority.

Back