• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Warming/Climate Change Super Thread

Now that the paper is published, scientists other than the ones who did the  Pals , I mean Peer Review,  have started to look into the cow's entrails and they are finding all sorts of interesting "things"

"Let’s look at some specific features of the Marcott et al. curve. As shown in more than 3,000 publications, the Medieval Warm Period (MWP) is widely recognized to have been somewhat warmer than present Figure 1). In the past 10,000 years, at least six other warm periods of magnitude equal to the MWP occurred; nine other warm periods that were 0.5°C warmer than the MWP occurred; two warm periods that were 1°C warmer than the MWP occurred; and three warm periods that were 1.5°C warmer than the MWP occurred. All of these periods warmer than the MWP clearly contradict the Marcott et al. conclusions.

The Marcott et al. conclusions that “Current global temperatures of the past decade … are warmer than during ~75% of the Holocene temperature history” and “Global mean temperature for the decade 2000-2009 ….are warmer than 82% of the Holocene” are clearly contrary to measured, accurate, real-time data and thus fail the Feynman test, i.e., they are wrong."

There's an Ouch! for you.

Visually, the new paper seems to have some easily Mk 1 Eyeball discernable problems.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/03/11/validity-of-a-reconstruction-of-regional-and-global-temperature-for-the-past-11300-years/#more-81907

The game continues, the planet is not behaving like the computer models predicted.

You can believe computer models that do not work and the people who have a vested career and financial interest in pushing these models or you can believe the actual data, what is actually happening.

Cdn Blackshirt said:
Here's a quick one from the National Parks Service....

My argument here being that if we clearly know manmade activity was not responsible for pre-historic temperatures level changes, then someone should take the time to generate a computer model that STARTS by first being accurate when backtesting against known data.

newest_nfd_climate_graph.jpg

There was a huge uproar which you may have missed a couple of years ago where a 'climate scientist' made the claim that based on his models, the antarctic ice sheet was going to melt in 50-years.  Tonnes of papers and media picked it up.  Less covered was the fact that some non-believers got a hold of his model and he had 'fixed the outcome'.  Even if you put in lower levels of CO2 which was his primary variable (ignoring that giant warming agent we usually call the 'The Sun'), he still showed melting.  So CO2 up = Melting & CO2 down = melting.

Not science....

So again, my comment is that when you see claims like you posted, be sure you know who is providing the data set, and do your due diligence on if they've misrepresented information before.

M.

Looking at the graph, I'm sure most of us now wish we had been born 50 million years ago in the Ecocens period. Balmy tropical weather all year round in James bay,,,,

Well go figure . . .  Who knew big slabs of prime rib, or sirloin, or ribeye would be the solution to Global Warming.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vpTHi7O66pI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Ffeature%3Dplayer_embedded%26v%3DvpTHi7O66pI

Not safe for Vegans who believe in Global Warming.

Haletown said:
Well go figure . . .  Who knew big slabs of prime rib, or sirloin, or ribeye would be the solution to Global Warming.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vpTHi7O66pI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Ffeature%3Dplayer_embedded%26v%3DvpTHi7O66pI

Not safe for Vegans who believe in Global Warming.

With the coming warm weather we can all spark up the barbeque and do our part for climate change! Make mine medium rare, please...

Thucydides said:
With the coming warm weather we can all spark up the barbeque and do our part for climate change! Make mine medium rare, please...

Why wait for warm weather.  Much more fun to fire up the 'Q on Earth Day and turn on lots of lights so I can get a really good look my rotisserie spinning ten pounds of rib roast.  :nod:

Have to remember to fill the backup propane tank and buy some fresh horseradish.

The white smoke coming out of teh Vatican didn't help matters much. >:D

Dudes, several post ago, I mentioned Allan Savory (The guy in that you tube video). I run my farm based on his principles and practices (I have attended HMI, the original organization he was affiliated with). Its great stuff. Very informative (You got hand it to those Rhodesians, they are out of the box thinkers). Yes, done correctly, we can have lots of tasty meat and food and REVERSE mass desertification (Which really is the big problem here, more so than climate fluctuation IMO).

BTW, to all you vegans/veggie heads out there, YOUR mass consumption of grains, corns and soy contributes to environmental damage in a nasty way (Most crop practices are very poorly managed and dependent on chemical fertilizers and pesticides/herbicides/fungicides. Not to mention, they leave huge amounts of soil exposed (very bad thing).

Eat grass fed and natural raised meat! Keep farmers and farm hands employed, regenerate the environment and enjoy the awesome taste of real meat!

BTW, anyone looking, I may have some steers available this fall. Just saying.

cupper said:
The white smoke coming out of teh Vatican didn't help matters much. >:D

You can be sure the Catholic Church won't buy any Carbon Credits.

They invented the "Selling Indulgences to Get Rich" scam and they won' fall for the Eco Grifters gaming their con.  ;D

Haletown said:
Why wait for warm weather.  Much more fun to fire up the 'Q on Earth Day and turn on lots of lights so I can get a really good look my rotisserie spinning ten pounds of rib roast.  :nod:

Have to remember to fill the backup propane tank and buy some fresh horseradish.

I see you celebrate Human Achievement Day  ;)

Here is a link to a long story in the UK Daily Mail that reports that many in the climate science warming community have not established that global warming is not happening at the expected rate and that there has been no warming since 1997. The graphs and table are well worth examining.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294560/The-great-green-1-The-hard-proof-finally-shows-global-warming-forecasts-costing-billions-WRONG-along.html

Evidence confounding the established doctrine will not convince the disciples that they may be wrong. Expect widespread condemnation and character assassination.

Old Sweat said:
Here is a link to a long story in the UK Daily Mail that reports that many in the climate science warming community have not established that global warming is not happening at the expected rate and that there has been no warming since 1997. The graphs and table are well worth examining.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294560/The-great-green-1-The-hard-proof-finally-shows-global-warming-forecasts-costing-billions-WRONG-along.html
In the interest of balance, I found a point-by-point rebuttal to this exact article:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/18/global_warming_denial_debunking_misleading_climate_change_claims_by_david.html

Indeed, and it does lay out the other side of the argument. One can find a discussion of the slate.com paper here:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/

Old Sweat said:
Indeed, and it does lay out the other side of the argument. One can find a discussion of the slate.com paper here:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/
Can you narrow it down a bit?  I couldn't any references to The Slate.

Look in the entry titled Monday Mirthiness. It discusses the slate article without reverting to the personal attacks and ridicule in it.

I am inclined from my reading on the subject to be a skeptic, especially after the errors in the IPCC reports and Mann's original hockey stick graph were exposed by scientific analysis.

I'm a big fan of global warming; the sooner the bike comes out of winter storage, the better!

:chopper:

Journeyman said:
I'm a big fan of global warming; the sooner the bike comes out of winter storage, the better!

:chopper:

Being on the same latitude as Northern California, I have found out that there are 12 different types of banana trees I can plant here and grow.

I won't be happy until I can grow the rest of the species here.

Yesterday I was reading some contemporary material re the 1974 Cyprus blowup in which the writer referred to the coming ice age. To my surprise, this morning I found this piece on SDA which states that there is a growing body of opinion that global warming is a myth and we are faced with another little ice age. It is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provision of the Copyright Act.

Flagship Daily DIE WELT Stuns Germany: “Scientists Warn Of Ice Age”, Cites New Peer-Reviewed Russian Study

By P Gosselin on 25. März 2013

Mentioning the lethal “100-year, record-smashing” spring cold and snow spreading across Europe over the past month has for the most part been avoided like the plague by Germany’s mainstream media. The silence over the record cold and frost, which has killed thousands and cost billions, has been ear-ringing.

Yet some leading dailies are breaking ranks, and have begun to examine the phenomenon critically and openly.

For example veteran journalist Ulli Kulke at German flagship daily Die Welt today has stunned the rest of the German mainstream media with a piece titled Scientists warn of ice age.

German flagship daily reports that “scientists warning of ice age.” Logo: DIE WELT.

Kulke writes that recently a growing number of scientific publications have been appearing in leading journals, and that they have been challenging the simplistic “one dimensional CO2 explanation” for climate change and showing that even the unlikely “doubling of atmospheric CO2 concentration by 2050 would not have dramatic effects.”

Kulke writes:

Yet, papers with such content, even though they have passed the peer-review process, do not make any headlines. But they have been becoming much more frequent recently.”

Increasingly it seems more and more scientists are now seeing huge opportunity in overturning one of the most ballyhooed scientific hypotheses of modern time, funding be damned.

In the Die Welt piece, Kulke asks if the record cold and snow over much of the northern hemisphere “is just a coincidence“. The odds are increasing that it is not, and that it’s not for nothing that a growing number of scientists are becoming friendly to other explanations and that the body of evidence supporting a combination of explanations is taking shape quickly. Kulke writes that it is therefore no surprise that 2 Russian scientists have recently joined the ever more thunderous chorus of alternative explanations on what drives climate. He writes:

It’s probably no coincidence that ever louder scientific opinions warning of an imminent ice period are coming also from Russia. Vladimir Baschkin and Rauf Galiulin have recently recognized the ice age possibility in a study. Both biogeochemists – a discipline that also includes the study of the Earth’s atmosphere – have written a study for the Research Institute Vniigaz of the Gazprom concern, an address of course that cannot be said is free of lobbyists. However, their arguments are underpinned by findings that are gaining more and more acceptance from independent science: solar activity is weakening considerably - to an extent that was last seen several hundred years ago, the Little Ice Age, according to scientists.”

Kulke writes that not only is the CO2-science for explaining climate change one-dimensional, but that also only looking at changes in solar irradiance is completely inadequate. The sun’s fluctuating magnetic activity and its impact on the Earth’s atmosphere, direct and indirect, though not well understood, are proving to have a far greater influence on the Earth’s climate than many are willing to admit. This is all being backed up by leading research institutes such as CERN in Geneva and the Danish National Space Institute of Denmark.

And as the whole global warming thingy continues to fade away, overtaken by the reality of a cooling atmosphere even as CO2 levels rise, as the predictions do not come true, as trust in the fear mongering, Sky is Falling scientists, politicians and Greenie Grifters reaches new lows, we can always pause for a moment to have a good chuckle at the expense of those still committed to loving Gaia, hating human progress and believing their pagan religious  beliefs should be made into public policy paid for by others.

http://iceagenow.info/2013/03/global-warming-lies-exposed-video/

Happy Easter.  Great day to fire up the BBQ and roast up a nice 5lb deboned leg of lamb,  CO2 be damned.

Back