• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Going back to St Jean

The person's response to the event must involve intense fear, helplessness, or horror

I guess that just doesn't come out in the thread.  This is what I thought was the general demeanor:

Lil_T said:
Am I scared to do it (the OC) again?  Hell yes, but I will. I know I'm not ready to do it right now. But when the time comes it'll be balls to the wall and I'll tackle the damn thing again with as much if not more determination than I did before. Its just who I am.
Lil_T said:
Seriously?  Lucky bitch. I'd give my first born to be back on platoon.

And this was the mental issue:

Lil_T said:
I was told by the Doc at the MIR yesterday that I have CIS - so I get to go talk to the shrink some more. 
Lil_T said:
I won't lie, I'm a little depressed over the lack of progress with the proximal third.... I thought for sure it'd be a bit better by now.  Instead, I get to go back AGAIN in 6 weeks and hope for the best.

Just not tracking in there a person who is debilitated by PTSD.  Perhaps something is lost in the medium.  Perhaps CIS and PTSD are the same thing?  I will admit not knowing. 

I hope she overcomes all of her issues and resumes her career path with the CF.  :salute: 

zipperhead_cop said:
Just not tracking in there a person who is debilitated by PTSD.  Perhaps something is lost in the medium.  Perhaps CIS and PTSD are the same thing?  I will admit not knowing.

People can have PTSD (or an anxiety issue) and not be "debilitated" by it.  I work with someone who has been diagnosed and they're fine, unless they are put in certain situations.  I think in Lil_T's case, thinking about having to go through the obstacle course again is causing some stress but I believe (and hope), that once she does get through it successfully, she'll have no more problems with it.

zipperhead_cop said:
I hope she overcomes all of her issues and resumes her career path with the CF.  :salute:

Me too.

zipperhead_cop said:
  Perhaps CIS and PTSD are the same thing?  I will admit not knowing. 

When broken down to the bare bones of symptoms they sound a lot alike but they are not the same thing.  For anyone who is interested:

“Critical Incident Stress is a normal reaction to sudden and unexpected events beyond our normal range of everyday experiences...(events we are unprepared for, events that are intense, graphic and totally overwhelming). How an individual reacts to these situations varies from person to person. Any experience of unusually strong emotional reactions that hamper an individual’s ability to function during or following an event may be categorized as Critical Incident Stress.
The degree to which one is affected by Critical Incident Stress is dependent on several factors: the actual event, its intensity, duration, and the level of unexpectedness. There are no limits to the conditions and variables that form stress and emotional aftershocks...
Critical Incident Stress Reactions are event specific. They can be acute, occurring during the actual event, or delayed, occurring minutes, hours, months or even years after the event. An acute reaction during an incident may interfere with your ability to act or react. The symptoms range from a physical response, such as nausea or hyperventilation, to a behavioural response, such as a total inability to perform required tasks. Sufferers can experience impaired thought processes and even a complete emotional shut down. Many people will not experience any symptoms at the time of the event”

It is thought that if the stress from a ‘critical incident’ is not managed, the individual is at risk for developing PTSD (there are some studies that say critical incident stress management does not really have an impact on developing PTSD, or may have a negative effect if the person was injured during the stressful event)

When looking at CIS/PTSD it helps to remember that an incident that is stressful for one person may not faze the person standing next to them. Coping mechanisms (or lack of) are unique to individuals.

zipper,

I apologize if my refusal to whine and open up completely about how my injury has affected me, my life, and the lives of my family members has caused some confusion.  But really.  Thank you for being so understanding. 

Did I think I was going to die?  No, but I did seriously believe that my career had come to an end.  I fail to see how that would not cause at least a little stress.  Perhaps I put a lot of undue pressure on myself.  But I set the bar for myself pretty damn high, so excuse me for having a reaction that you might expect would only be appropriate from someone whose life was threatened. 

No, I'm not crippled by it - anymore.  I'm sorry I didn't let you in on all the flashbacks, nightmares and anxiety attacks I was having.  I'll know better if there's a next time.  Then I'll just pm you all the gory details of my mental state.  I'm sorry I felt safe enough to share a little bit of what I was dealing with, it won't happen again. 

As for the "muscle past the gag reflex" thing... oy, I wasn't even thinking anything less than innocent when I posted it.  Must remember my audience  ;D  sorry!  And thank you to everyone else for being more understanding.

kadrury said:
Trust me I am in the same boat you are. I am getting my fit chit hopefully in July and heading back to st jean the 18th of July. I am a little more than apprehensive. I am scared shitless but I will do what it takes to get done and so will you Lil_T! Try to stay positive and congrats on running again! Every little hurdle is a step closer to grad!

I'm trying girlie.  I'll see you in July, I'm going back the 2nd.  They're sending me back to AWT (to draw my kit) and then to WFT where I get to wait and work out.  :)  Just not looking forward to sporting that A.

A scarlet A? I really hope that means something other than what it historically meant. :D

The CF moved away from CISD several years ago as it was found to cause harm in some cases.   

The Joint Speakers Bureau (JSB) now has the mandate to deliver training on Mental Health and OSIs to the CF.  The CF is now integrating JSB programs into all levels of training from BMQ to ALQ.  In addition, JSB, in collaboration with Health Services, are now working on predeployment, post deployment, as well as revamping the TLD package to ensure that all CF training is consistent. 

OSIs, although not a medical or legal term, are defined as follows;

An operational stress injury (OSI) is any persistent psychological difficulty resulting from military service. OSIs include diagnosed medical conditions such as anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

More information can be found at the Mental health Canada Website as well.

dileas

tess

gcclarke said:
A scarlet A? I really hope that means something other than what it historically meant. :D

LOL!!  Noooo not even close.  It stands for AWT, and I'm oh so lucky to get to wear one  :P

Lil_T said:
zipper,

I apologize if my refusal to whine and open up completely about how my injury has affected me, my life, and the lives of my family members has caused some confusion.  But really.  Thank you for being so understanding. 

Did I think I was going to die?  No, but I did seriously believe that my career had come to an end.  I fail to see how that would not cause at least a little stress.  Perhaps I put a lot of undue pressure on myself.  But I set the bar for myself pretty damn high, so excuse me for having a reaction that you might expect would only be appropriate from someone whose life was threatened. 

No, I'm not crippled by it - anymore.  I'm sorry I didn't let you in on all the flashbacks, nightmares and anxiety attacks I was having.  I'll know better if there's a next time.  Then I'll just pm you all the gory details of my mental state.  I'm sorry I felt safe enough to share a little bit of what I was dealing with, it won't happen again. 

As for the "muscle past the gag reflex" thing... oy, I wasn't even thinking anything less than innocent when I posted it.  Must remember my audience  ;D  sorry!  And thank you to everyone else for being more understanding.

I think this snarky bit of passive-aggression was uncalled for.

I don't think Zip was being unreasonable when he asked you to clarify how you got PTSD from the obstacle course in St Jean.  Your offhand reference to PTSD caught me off guard too.  It's just not the kind of trigger people typically associate with the disorder.

PTSD is a touchy subject around here.  I don't think it's right that you'd bring it up, and then play the victim when someone politely asks you to expand on what you've said.

Funny, I didn't find it very polite. 

Polite - to me - would have been him PMing me for clarification - not calling me out in front of the whole damn board.  But I suppose that is a matter of perspective.  Also, I was not being passive aggressive.  Sarcastic in places yes, but definitely not passive aggressive.

Just because my trigger is different from someone else's doesn't make it any less real.  PTSD is not a solely combat related condition. 

So please - if you'd really like the guts of what I've been going through the last few months, by all means - PM me, because I'm certainly not going to bore everyone else with the details. 

As for playing the victim, well, I kind of felt like one. 

Lil_T said:
Then I'll just pm you all the gory details of my mental state.  I'm sorry I felt safe enough to share a little bit of what I was dealing with, it won't happen again. 

Fill your boots.  Or post it on your blog.  Funny thing about posting things on an open public board, people might just comment or question it. 

Lil_T said:
Funny, I didn't find it very polite. 

It was.

Lil_T said:
Polite - to me - would have been him PMing me for clarification - not calling me out in front of the whole damn board.  But I suppose that is a matter of perspective. 

Oh, so you can use this thread as your personal blog but since in reality this is a discussion board, when somebody discusses something that you find displeasing they should take it to a PM?  And I didn't "call you out", I simply didn't make a connection from getting a training injury to something that I was of the impression took a whole lot more to occur.  I don't begrudge anyone having a hard time adjusting/coping/dealing.  It simply concerns me that the easier it is for people to slot themselves into a PTSD catagory, the less attention people who end up losing bits and parts and wearing the same from their friends may get.  Doubtless, the CF medical care system is so comprehensive and universal it can handle everything and more. 

Lil_T said:
Just because my trigger is different from someone else's doesn't make it any less real.  PTSD is not a solely combat related condition. 

Never suggested otherwise.  Just questioned the labeling.  I have been suitably advised and won't make the mistake again.

Lil_T said:
So please - if you'd really like the guts of what I've been going through the last few months, by all means - PM me, because I'm certainly not going to bore everyone else with the details. 

Nah, I'll stick with being bored with the details you chose to slap on here.  I'll keep visiting your blog though. 

Lil_T said:
As for playing the victim, well, I kind of felt like one.

Well, I guess now we all are too. 

zip... I apologize for my knee jerk reaction to your statement.

I will admit, I'm not used to being questioned WRT the shit I've been dealing with.  Perhaps I took your meaning the wrong way, and I really hate to admit it but I allowed some faceless internet dude to hurt my feelings.  I had a much tougher skin than this before my injury.  I also dislike admitting when I'm wrong, but I'm a big girl and figure I can at least do that.  I was wrong, and I apologize for attempting to verbally tear a strip off you.  Being angry with myself is no reason to lash out at someone else.

No blood no foul.  Never meant to hurt your feelings, so if that happened inadvertently, I am sorry too. 

Hope your wheel gets fixed sooner than later.  :salute:

Whoop! Going back 2 or 4 July.  Depending on if I can get my weekend. Yes, I'm milking it... Fingers crossed it works out that way, if not, well, such is (military) life. 

My 2088 expires the 26th, so I'm hoping the category is lifted completely then. 

Also, just started P90X and it's awesome!  I love it.  I haven't sweat this much since mid-August PT with the PSP staff!!!

Back