• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Google Earth...WOW!!!

The hangar behind the CC-115 has been gone for months now.

Google Earth is really nifty. Take a tour around russia.. Find something that is long, slender, black, perhaps a nuclear sub in dry dock near Roslyakovo. Crazy russians.

(If [ img ] is not allowed and or army.ca keeps all threads 56k friendly just let me know and I will direct link it)
Iseeyou.jpg

Chinook parking - Fort Rucker

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=fort+rucker,+alabama&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&ll=31.319777,-85.673479&spn=0.004629,0.009731

427 Squadron (same scale)

http://maps.google.ca/?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=45.949091,-77.31313&spn=0.003767,0.006233&t=k&om=1

Jordan411 said:
Yeah I see it too, does anybody know what 2 planes are right in front of that orange CF-18? From this height it looks like it could be anything from a F-15 to a JSF....but what would they be doing over there? Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Further down there's a pair of A-10s, and a few others (F-16s?).  And an AWACS just to the east.

Xfire said:
if you like that heres http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ measures distance!

Google Earth has that ability, just go Tools... Measure.  Either a Line or Path.  I use Path alot to measure out how distances I've run.

Taylor187 said:
Google Earth is really nifty. Take a tour around russia.. Find something that is long, slender, black, perhaps a nuclear sub in dry dock near Roslyakovo. Crazy russians.

Sub is a DELTA IV........SSBN

Here, i found CFB Esquimalt, i wonder when this was taken? Cause where are all the ships?. the big one looks like the HMCS Protecteur.........

CFBEsquimalt.jpg

cadettrooper said:
Here, i found CFB Esquimalt, i wonder when this was taken? Cause where are all the ships?. the big one looks like the HMCS Protecteur.........

HMCS Huron

I'm going to take a stab and say that the picture is of the jetty at FDU(P) and if thats the case...the rest of the ships are on the other side of the harbour.

I beg to differ, I think it is an older pic, and I am going to say HMCS Annapolis DDE 265.  If you scroll around Dockyard you can see HMCS Huron in the dockyard still, with Victoria in drydock (1st time in drydock).  If you are on Google earth and are looking at dockyard, you can see clearly 2 X 280's alongside. 

I maybe wrong, but I love my reece!

Sub_Guy said:
I beg to differ, I think it is an older pic, and I am going to say HMCS Annapolis DDE 265.   If you scroll around Dockyard you can see HMCS Huron in the dockyard still, with Victoria in drydock (1st time in drydock).  If you are on Google earth and are looking at dockyard, you can see clearly 2 X 280's alongside. 

I maybe wrong, but I love my reece!

Yeah, i've been  looking at the shot for a while and the Bow profile does look like Annapolis..........but i'm not sure

At the time it was the only old steamer kicking around FDU, I think it was used for some training by boarding parties, and other goodness, perhaps some other sailors can back that up. 

There is a sweet shot of Everett on google earth with all ships in.   

Funny though, if you head on over to Faslane Scotland where the kippers keep their Missle boats it is all blurred out. 

She is still tied up at FDU, and the diver courses use her as a platform for jumping off, as a hull to practice searches on, and more insidiously, as something to hang climbing ropes off so the divers have something to occupy their time between push ups and conducting dives.  She is all covered in bird crap, locked up tight, and from what I hear, on her way to becoming a reef some day.

I remember seeing alot of duct tape on it last time i was up close but that was in 1993

Any of you folks recognize this dusty place?, the only saving grace was that Pepsi sent us all the free pop we wanted, I was partial to the Canada Dry  :D
1.jpg

2.jpg

Is that something like where's Waldo??  ;D

gravyboat said:
Has anyone found the hidden message in the Gagetown training area? 
Do you mean the "CTC" and maple leaf?  It's on the map, let alone Google earth!
Now, if someone caught say some dudes out there spelling out "this sucks" with their bodies, then I'd be interested in seeing that ;)

I had a guy in here looking for stuff, he didnt find Dwyer Hill training centre or Area 51 either. Although purely for your own attempts you could type those two names into the search thing and see if you have any luck... ::) Its certainly interesting that things like this are such Hi Res. I mean you somethings look like they'v had white out poured over them (last two locations) but otherwise its amazing. I love going to Melbourne and following the tram lines back to my house! Its like being back home again, except a couple of Kilometres above the ground

Back