• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Google Maps - take a look

At work, we figured Petawawa was done near the end of last summer.  Thats pretty recent!

Some of the locations of the really close up areas outside large urban centers seem pretty random to me.

-Hutch- said:
hey buddy calm down. what climbed up your but and died? i was just saying that they weren't up to date. i never said i wanted a up to date photo. although you know it may help since that area of the city is changing like crazy. god some people annoy the heck out of me.

Stating that these images are not up to date is like stating the freaking sky is blue, buddy.  Pretty freaking obivious.  God some kids annoy the heck out of me.

kincanucks said:
Stating that these images are not up to date is like stating the freaking sky is blue, buddy.   Pretty freaking obvious   God some kids annoy the heck out of me.

how about we stop you took your jab at my post i took my jab at your post. no need to carry it on.that being said.  i am not a kid, so please dont call me one. the if you are looking on a reliable source such as google you would expect there to be at least a recent updated picture of an area. raods change places change. so should maps. there are new maps made every year. so saying this map is out of date is not like saying the sky is blue. i said the map was old because i was supprised that the hidia was still there. but the hiada was moved to hamilton on augest 30 2003. almost 2 years ago. you would think they would try and update it atleast once a year. that being said TRUCE

A few things to mention...the application from the website has a lot to do with one of Google's recent acquisitions - A software company called Keyhole (www.keyhole.com) They are in the business of providing GIS data and software to many companies and organizations around the world, including the American DoD as well as many others.

Based on the fact sheet from the website, the latest data sets and resolutions that they have for Canada are as follows:
Montreal Mar- Sep 2002 0.7 Meter
Toronto May - 2003 0.7 Meter
Vancouver Jul - 2002   2 Foot  
For anywhere in between the Canadian east and west coast not mentioned above, your guess is as good as mine but I would bet that it is no more recent than the dates above. From what they state on the website they try to update the major city centres every couple of years with an emphasis being put on American cities.

Now, this does not mean what you see on Google is even as current as their latest data...I'll be stating the obvious here but it's not quite as simple as tasking the QuickBird satellite to take a high-res snap everytime it passes over your house! ;)

cheers,
ryan.

The one from over CFB Borden is from sometime between July and September 2004.

The new air rifle range is in the image (built July 2004) and the leaves are still on the trees!

Duke

Luck881 said:
Hey Glorified Ape,
How'd you save that pic???

1. Press the "print screen" button when you have the google map window open (make sure your cursor isn't on the picture)
2. Open MS Paint, go to "Edit" and click on "Paste"
3. Cut out the picture portion of the window image in paint, right click and select "copy", then open a new paint project and right-click-paste into it, then just save it as a jpeg.

How do you get the pictures from a file on your computer to a post and if there is a way other than uploading into the general photogallery. (Which I also don't know how to do.)

P.s I think it would be a good idea to have a place where you can learn how to do all the neato things in these forums

Hey kids, Who wants to goto Disneyland?

If any of the mods are reading this, could they delete the first picture? I Don't know how to, I'm new at pictures.

Is it just me or is the A-club in borden gone?  I can't find it...

vangemeren said:
Hey kids, Who wants to goto Disneyland?

If any of the mods are reading this, could they delete the first picture? I Don't know how to, I'm new at pictures.

Um, your pointer is in the middle of a freeway ... 
sterb079.gif

Anyone checked out Keyhole yet?

You can d/l a 7 day trial from their site and get satellite pics of most places in the world.

Oddly enough some of the most detailed clearer maps were of Baghdad international airport and Kabul, Afghanistan.

But don't take my word for it.

www.keyhole.com

I was just messing around looking for landmarks and the address happened to be on the freeway. I meant it as a joke. Disneyland is actually just a little to the southwest in the picture.

:D LOL! I can find CFB Kingston but no CFB Shilo. :D

Ahhhh Shilo  ::) what a freakn waste land.

It's like God pinched one off in the middle of Manitoba and called it S**te-hole... er uhhh Shilo.

To the arty guys stationed there: Keep firing away. You're only making the landscape prettier!

Instead of screen capture, try using "link to this page" at the top right hand side....beside the email and print icons...then you can copy and paste the url anywhere you like, i.e. emails/posts/bookmarks

I am going to my husband's BOTP Grad next week so I thought I would look up the mega and it is as bizzare looking from space as I hear it is in person:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=saint...291,0.013293&sspn=1.236328,1.961669&t=k&hl=en

Is it true that the mega was planned to be in the shape of a maple leaf  ???

wow finally i found blackdown. it is a good thing that i memorized how to get there from the front gates of borden.

Well, I thought it was quite amusing....

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Plant+42+in+Palmdale,+California&ll=34.637382,-118.082020&spn=0.005397,0.007832&t=k&hl=en

Back