• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GPS

Spanky

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I‘m looking for an effecient, effective, and economical GPS. Any suggestions?

Magellan makes plenty of models that are reliable and relatively cheap. It all depends on what you want it to do for you. Take a look at their web site.

I have beenn using my Garmin Etrex "Legend" for almost two years, very satisfied.. Magellan and Garmin are the Ford and Chevy of the GPS industry.

Bzz

Garmin and Magellan are two of the more common brands indeed. Basically for GPS there are ones that can have road maps loaded onto them and ones that can‘t. Any GPS will more than likely tell you where you are and can probably track where you have walked and plot a point for you to head to no matter if it has maps on it or not, and tell you which direction you‘re walking. The ones where you can load maps onto them (which are slightly more expensive plus if you want Canadian road maps you‘ll have to buy the software -- again not cheap) lets you use it for driving too. So you can instantly turn your Dodge Caravan into a Chrysler Pacifica! :-D

Garmin also has the RINO series where they couple together the GPS and a FRS (like the Motorola walkie talkies) radio into one gadget. I have a RINO 120 which I find useful -- RINO 110 doesn‘t have the map and is about a hundred bucks cheaper. The RINOs aren‘t cheap though if you‘re looking for economical.

If you‘re going to use it just for fishing or something, a basic model is fine; if you need to input grid coordinates for army stuff, check with the salesperson (hopefully a knowledgable one) to see if it does mils.

a quick question on the mapping on GPs systems, how accurate are they? Im not looking for road maps per say, more like the forested areas...

Im looking at getting a GPS for Exercises and such, but to be totally honest Im lost as to what i should be looking for.

I'm going to get the RINO 120.  That's what most of the guys in the Regiment have.  It has some great features and you can get one from ebay for around $200 USD.

Came across this place a number of years ago for a GPS Supplier in Canada.

Garmin has listed this company as "GARMIN'S Number One dealer within Canada!" He has to be doing something right then.

The site is: http://www.gpscentral.ca/index.htm

Yes, and if you ask politely they MIGHT give you a military discount!! I bought from them a few years ago, and was  very happy.  In my books, that bumps them up the list as THE place to shop for anything GPS related!!

I recently purchased a Garmin "Geko" Model 101.  It does nothing more than give you a 12 figure MGRS grid as well as allow you to input up to 99 waypoints(which you can nav to using the Garmin "swinging needle").  This GPS offers all the features the average CF soldier would require.  I paid $95 for it at SIR in Winnipeg.  The only downside I have discovered is that it runs off 2 x AAA batteries.  This means that:
1)  You require at least 4 extra batteries for use in extreme cold(ie -30 degrees and below); and
2)  You have to purchase your own batteries as it is difficult to acquire AAA batteries through the system.

I use the Magellan Meridian Platinum. VERY nice piece of kit. Waterproof and pretty much does everything I could imagine. Not cheap though........But I considered it an investment and used it literally every day when I was overseas.

Try here: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ for forums and extensive discussions on GPS units and their use and try here: http://www.gpscentral.ca/index.htm and/or  http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/canada.html for probably the best prices in Canada. I just got a Magellan Explorist 200 unit, seems to be high quality and well put together, although this particular unit in the line doesn't connect to a computer to download maps, the 400, 500 and 600 do... Lots of options out there, depending on what you what to do with it, good luck...

Mike.

i recommend the Garmin 12 gps. Canadain tire for under $160. As nice as maps and that are they are expensive and i find cost prohibiting. Buy a simple Gps and learn to use it. The features you need are like PPCLI MCPL said. keep it simple and only use it as a tool. remember nothing replaces good map skills and compass work. good luck and keep us posted on your purchase. I have had my Garmin 12 Gps since may 99. I have never had a problem receiving a strong signal. USed it all the time, a great quick check.  I have used mine on Ex's here in Canada and the US then over in Bosnia. My brother used it to map his favorite fishing spots, and a few hiknig areas. It is a great tool

I use a Garmin Etrex Vista C (Color TFT Display).

When combined with Mapsource Topo Canada, it is a very useful navigation aid.

The Etrex Vista is still very user friendly and with 24MB of memory, I can store the entire Eastern Half of Ontario in Topo format. For my line of work it has allot of other very useful features.

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistac/

FWIW, the Field Sqn currently on Athena Roto 2 actually purchased and issued Etrex Legends to all of the Sect Comd's. I've also heard that the boys at the Farm are issued these as well.

As for purchase: Ebay.ca

I got mine for $400ish CAD shipped from NY.

Scotty

I've got a Magellan SportTrak Map. A good low end device with more than enough features for the average user.

I do agree that these devices are not intended to eliminate map and compass from training.

If you are looking for software to make programming routes/waypoints/etc into that GPS easier, or save your movements afterwards, check out MapCruiser from NavSim, a canadian company.   They are the only software I know of that uses mils and UTM.   Nice price too.   They also have a version that goes on a PocketPC with GPS so you can see where you are in full colour.    I get my maps on their mapserver as well,   you can download every topographic map in Canada, including all the training areas.   It's f****** awesome!  

I also use mapcruiser to print out paper maps, as when I'm on the move it's paper and a compass.   But, for reference, my GPS is always programmed.   If you have a vibrating alarm on your GPS, you can set up zones around your routes, if you get off course, your GPS will give you a buzz to let you know (probably shouldn't use the audible alarm in tactical situations!).   The zones are really cool for lots of things as you can set alarms to go off when you enter, or exit one.   Set an alarm when you are 200m from your objective, for example.   I can set up multiple routes, multiple zones, named waypoints, etc, and jam as many GPS usnits as you can hand to me, in minutes.   I'll never willingly program a GPS without it again.

I was on their site the other day and saw that they have another really inexpensive mapviewer which lets you view and print (only) all the maps on their mapserver, I think it's free with map purchases or something, if not, it's less than $20.   I think MapCruiser is around $150.   Every platoon should use it.  

Another reason to use MapCruiser, they give a military discount, can't remember how much though (20%?).   Drop them a line or give them a call and I'm sure they'll sort you out.

You can find it here...

http://www.navsim.com

Back