• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gunner to Infantry Officer?

Endeavour

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am currently a new-comer to milnet.ca and I joined simply because I feel this would be the spot to get some help on a decision I am trying to make.

I am currently a Gunner in Field Artillery, and I am considering trying to OT to Infantry Officer. I know some of you may say "Infantry officer, really?". I do understand it is a tough trade and you need to be in top physical shape, have lots of courage in being a leader, and be able to carry out tasks in a smart and calm manner. I am really looking to advance in my career because I know I will be part of the CF for a very long time. I am the type of person who enjoys constantly learning and went there is a task at hand i'll see to it that it gets done!

Whether or not this is a bad thing, I have already done an OT before and it was to Artillery. Same with my trade before Artillery, I really enjoy it. I felt that by doing an OT to Artillery would be great because I had a sudden urge to be a part of the "Combat Arms". Right now, I am looking into Infantry Officer because I know past all the training and time put in, it will be a very rewarding career. And I don't want to make it sound like im the type of person who can't make the right decisions seeing as it would be my 2nd OT, I am just constantly trying to find something better. What can I say, I am sort of an ambitious guy.

I am physically fit, I hit the gym everyday so I am not so much concerned with fitness. Although seeing as it is an officer and I don't have any university degrees, I want to know what my chances are and how can I accomplish getting to where I want to be.
Hoping everyone could give some good feedback, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks.

It's not an OT, you'd be applying for an in-service commissioning plan.  It doesn't matter how many previous OTs you have done, unless they were involuntary...  You're going to be looking at CEOTP or UTPNCM - maybe CFR if you are a MCpl or Sgt (but that's also a nomination plan, you don't really apply for it).

Lots of information on commissioning on the site and on the DIN.  A good first step will be to book a career counselling session at your friendly neighborhood BPSO, through your CoC.

Its been done before.  Knew a guy in Pet, MBdr, who became an Infantry Officer.  He is now a reservist and working at CMTC.

Melbatoast said:
It's not an OT, you'd be applying for an in-service commissioning plan.  It doesn't matter how many previous OTs you have done, unless they were involuntary...  You're going to be looking at CEOTP or UTPNCM - maybe CFR if you are a MCpl or Sgt (but that's also a nomination plan, you don't really apply for it).

Lots of information on commissioning on the site and on the DIN.  A good first step will be to book a career counselling session at your friendly neighborhood BPSO, through your CoC.

He does not need "mommys" permission to speak to the BPSO. It's his career. He just needs to keep them in the loop.
In the meantime, start the OPMEs, maybe some university courses via DL.

Trunk Monkey said:
He does not need "mommys" permission to speak to the BPSO. It's his career. He just needs to keep them in the loop.

It's not asking for permission.  My local BPSO, at least, doesn't allow folks to book themselves in outside of their CoC - possibly a way of making sure members keep their chains informed.  Obviously your mileage may vary.

Trunk Monkey said:

Might not need their permission to speak to them and book a meeting/appointment, but will likely need their permission to be away from unit lines for X amount of time to attend the meeting.  :)

That and i think it still takes the CO's signature on the PSO referral form.

CDN Aviator said:
That and i think it still takes the CO's signature on the PSO referral form.

true that, section 5 or something, COs comments and signature (for the VOT stuff atleast).  CO's part likely more important for the CFR/Comissioning side of the house compared to "Cpl Bloggins wants to be a Widget Tech" stuff.

Back