• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harper in Afghanistan on unannounced visit

Here is an article from one of the slighted reporters who went on the Afghanistan visit with the PM.  Tame compared with some reports.

Usual disclaimer:
PAUL HUNTER - Reporter's Notebook Notes from an Afghan field trip May 26, 2007 

Not-so-secret top secret Camp Mirage, May 21

On the way to Afghanistan with the prime minister this week, everything was supposed to be top secret. We weren’t allowed to tell anyone where we were going.

After a stop in Germany, we flew to a staging base called Camp Mirage, where the secrecy seemed heightened even more. Even after leaving the base, we were told we should never describe where we’d been, other than saying it was "somewhere in southwest Asia," because neighbouring countries might not like the existence of such a base.

When we’d arrived at Camp Mirage, our BlackBerrys and cellphones were taken from us, and we were told the internet service was closed for what they called a comms lockdown (communications lockdown), presumably in case any of us had ideas of telling tales.

Top secret, except for one thing — ask any soldier there and you’d learn the place is easily located on Google Earth. There’s even a Wikipedia entry about it, complete with exact latitude and longitude.

So much for state secrets.

Attention Lonely Planet editors En route to Kabul, May 22

Canadian Press reporter Alex Panetta, who’d made this trip before, had a tip for flying into Kabul on a Hercules aircraft: "Keep the helmet on; you’ll sleep better, trust me. And use earplugs, or your ears will ring for days afterward."

He was right on both counts. It's also very, very important to go to the bathroom before you take off.

remainder of report: http://www.cbc.ca/news/reportsfromabroad/hunter/20070526.html

Absolutely amazing how when told to shut up, the reporter in the article STILL spills his guts about the staging base.  Was he not told about operational security, {OPSEC}. If anything happens there, we can thank that idiot for letting his loose lips flap in the breeze.  I should keep his name handy in case I see him.    ^-^
Ahh, I see who he works for now...wonderful CBC...Canadian Bull&*^% Commandos...
My 0.02  :eek:

Back