• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harriers for Navy/Air Force

FoverF said:
The only reason I mentioned the F-35B is because we're almost certain to get the F-35 (eventually). Acquiring the airframes would not really that big of a leap. It could probably be accomplished (if there was a will) with a relative minimum of the usual garbage that accompanies all major CF acquisition programs (Provided, of course, that the F-35B program even survives the usual garbage that accompanies all major Pentagon acquisition programs, and doesn't get cancelled). It would be kind of like purchasing the Merlin, since we've already bought the Cormorant.
oh, wait... ::),
Of course the amount of airframe commonality depends on which variants we get.

And as far as the whole ship-borne-fighter-thing goes, I was more thinking of giving the navy an increased capability in the more, well, 'naval' roles, like fleet air defence, anti-shipping, cruise missile defence, ESM, things like that. Of course, they would need a lot of UAV support to be effective, but that should be in place already, long before the F-35 becomes operational.
Or would having the extra eyes provided by UAVs and/or Cyclones be sufficient most of the time?

OK, now you've leapt from wishing upon an airframe to completely rebuilding the navy too in your best of all possible worlds.

That's a lot of unsubstantiated conjecture with respect to being "almost certain" we'll buy into the F-35, "if it survives."

Now you need to do the estimate for the increase in naval power too.

And as far as the whole ship-borne-fighter-thing goes, I was more thinking of giving the navy an increased capability in the more, well, 'naval' roles, like fleet air defence, anti-shipping, cruise missile defence, ESM, things like that.

I did not know you had that much pull to set policy and procure equipment.

THE F-35B is i think a STOVL which stands for short takeoff vertical landing.  Notice thats short takeoff,  not vertical takeoff. While it may be possible to take off vertically it cannot carry any usefull load if it does, hence it is mainly meant to make rolling takeoffs so could not normally operate from JSS . The Brits & Americans plan to use it from big deck carriers only to take advantage of long takeoff rolls with a decent load factor.

Apologies in advance, I'm still trying to figure out how to use your "quote" system properly.
Michael O'Leary said:
OK, now you've leapt from wishing upon an airframe to completely rebuilding the navy too in your best of all possible worlds.

That's a lot of unsubstantiated conjecture with respect to being "almost certain" we'll buy into the F-35, "if it survives."

Ummmm.
Actually, all I was talking about was wondering about the feasibility of putting some F-35Bs on ships, should they be bought. Hardly a 'best-of-all-possible-worlds' construction. you'll have to wait to see my proposal for that  ;)
And it consists of little conjecture, none of it unsubstantiated. Your view on the probability of the CF getting the F-35 may differ from mine, and that's fine, but that hardly makes my view unsubstantiated. Mine is based on the facts that

a) every foreign procurement contract the Canadian government issues weighs very heavily on domestic industrial offset.
b) Canadian gov has invested over $150 million directly into the F-35 program
c) Canadian government has also loaned/invested many times that amount into companies developing technologies for contracts in the JSF program
d) Canadian companies have over $400 million worth of contracts in the F-35 program already, and it hasn't even hit production yet

This is significant because, IIRC we already have more involvement in the JSF program than Eurofighter can offer in their program (I will try to include figures for that in my proposal). The F/A-18E/F is scheduled to be out of production (2012 or so) long before a CF-18 replacement is expected (and so far there are no export or follow-on orders, or even strong prospects). Although this IS conjecture, I highly doubt you would be able to extract several hundred million dollars worth of industrial offsets from Dassault/French gov/labour unions for the Rafale. F-22 is out of our price range. The JAS-39C is a possibility, but I have yet to hear any significant government official even speak it's name. Russian fighters are out for the obvious reason. The only other real option is never replacing the CF-18s with a manned fighter at all (which IS remotely possible, but not, in my opinion, likely).

Not to mention that every reputable aviation news source consistently names the F-35 as being Canada's most likely Hornet replacement.
I'm not trying to suggest that the F-35 is the best choice, just the most likely.

"Of course the amount of airframe commonality depends on which variants we get."
-You are simply (and incorrectly) nit-picking my semantics.  I said 'of course' because it is a direct relation that should need no further explanation. And the word 'depends' does not make it indefinite. The statement is an indisputable fact. Absolutely no speculation or uncertainty of any kind.

Summing up, you can disagree with the 'almost certain' part, but that hardly makes my statements unsubstantiated.

And there have already been suggestions, from the DAO among others, that either the F-35A or F-35B variant be cancelled. Of the Pentagon's 9 largest platform procurement programs of the last 20 years (Paladin, Comanche, A-12, Sea Wolf, B-2, F-22, Stryker, F/A-18E/F,  F-35), 3 were cancelled completely, 3 were cut by 80% or more (in terms of numbers of platforms), two are proceeding relatively well (but with very grave concerns about their inability to meet key performance goals), and one is still completely up in the air.
So adding a caveat that one of the F-35's variants might be cancelled or become prohibitively expensive due to numbers cuts is far from baseless speculation. It is merely prudence.

Well, that's the whole meat and bones of the idea. It's also the hard part, and the largest part of the proposal I'm working on. (It' also what I was trying to ask here in the first place  ;D)
I'm no expert in the field, so it's where I've had to spend most of my research. We'll see my results soon enough.

aesop081 said:
And what exactly do fighter aircraft have to do with ESM ?
The F-35 and F-22 were both designed from the beginning to be ESM platforms, in addition to their respective air superiority and multirole tasks. I'll elaborate a little more in the proposal, which should follow in a few days.

Ex-Dragoon said:
And as far as the whole ship-borne-fighter-thing goes, I was more thinking of giving the navy an increased capability in the more, well, 'naval' roles, like fleet air defence, anti-shipping, cruise missile defence, ESM, things like that.
I did not know you had that much pull to set policy and procure equipment.
Was this really a necessary post that contributed to the discussion? Or was it just a sarcastic barb? Did I mean that I personally would be buying these aircraft, and writing the policy to see them used in these roles?
Or perhaps I meant I *personally* would be using my superhuman matrix-like powers to fly over the fleet and secure them from harm.  8)  :threat: (which would actually be pretty cool )

Or maybe I was just elaborating on what roles a shipborne fighter could play. 

STONEY said:
THE F-35B is i think a STOVL which stands for short takeoff vertical landing.  Notice thats short takeoff,  not vertical takeoff. While it may be possible to take off vertically it cannot carry any usefull load if it does, hence it is mainly meant to make rolling takeoffs so could not normally operate from JSS . The Brits & Americans plan to use it from big deck carriers only to take advantage of long takeoff rolls with a decent load factor.
There has always been much discussion about the difference between VTOL, STOVL, ASTOVL, V/STOVL,  other acronyms ad nausea.
There's a big difference between reducing your useful load, and not having any useful load. They can all take off vertically with some kind of load, it is just preferred that you take off conventionally if at all possible. What kind of weight the F-35B is capable of lifting vertically is completely speculative at the moment, but it will be substantially greater than the preceding generation of VTOL aircraft (Yak-38, Yak-141, and Harriers of various marks), and substantially less than a CTOL F-35. I've had to rely mainly on LM/BAe figures, and some extrapolations from the Harrier to come up with numbers, but I'll elaborate more on payload/mission weights in the proposal, which should be finished in a few days.

Thank you FoverF, that is a much more well-rounded description of where you are headed in your thoughts than simply suggesting an airframe as you did initially. I am sure you have had an opportunity to look around now and understand our collective hesitancy to engage such threads that appear to be more idle speculation than introduction of realistic case studies.

I have no intention to debate your discussion point by point, mainly because I do not closely follow aircraft technological development. I will, however, offer the following as possible factors to consider:

- i would suggest you not rely too heavily on past or even current defence industry spending trends to predict likely acquisitions - the Arrow and the EH-101 programs easily show that governments are fickle and easily make decisions to "cut their losses" and head in new directions without warning

- many of the major programs you mention as eliminated or reduced by the US had their inception and development work based in the Cold War clash of the titans high-intensity conflict scenario. The changing global atmosphere was likely the major factor in those programs ending or changing direction.

- that global setting - and the potential directions for Canadian foreign policy and defence policy - will establish the background for future defence spending and acquisitions. Quite simply, if you cannot develop a reasonable basis for Canada to establish and maintain a fixed wing naval air arm of sufficient size to merit its own existence, then speculation on suitable airframes for it is moot.

- the world and domestic political environments, whether we agree with their most commonly perceived public biases or not, must also be considered. Similar to the way the CDS and the CF are trying to explain to Canadians in general that "peacekeeping" is not a user-friendly, short-sleeved, blue-berets in the Cypriot sun, "hand out the ROWPU water" activity any more - what is palatable in terms of acquisitions to the more vocal areas of the constituency (who do sway the sound-bite loving politicians of both government forming and opposition parties) must be managed for image and overt justification. In the same way that SAR helicopters was an easy sell, while ASW ones could easily be postponed, similar trends have to be anticipated - if we can't sell the public on a major acquisition, or at least justify it in readily understood terms, then speculating on it's likelihhod or suitability is a hollow argument.

Thank you again, I look forward to the broader scope of your analysis and extrapolation to possible force structures. Be careful, however, we have a term in the military where we refer to "situating the estimate" - this occurs when someone is (sometimes subconsciously) only selecting and examining the factors of a situation that lead to the previously preferred conclusion.

Cheers

Mike

Mike, with all due respect,

This is an internet forum, not a project office.  I don't know this guy's back ground, but he just typed out a pretty darn good synopsis of his views.  Members of this forum come from all walks of life, some very experienced, some with none.  You can't expect a 15 yr old air cadet to present a full estimate about something he saw on Discovery Channel.  If a few want to duke it out over what aircraft they think the CF should buy, let them.  Its not going to discredit this forum.  There are enough members here with vast military experience who will maintain the credibility of this site.

I just think you're being a little hard on some people.  Let them chat - there are people of equal level who will chat back and keep them entertained.  If you constantly shoot them down, telling them to come back with a thesis, they aren't going to post anymore and you'll lose members.

Cheers

short final,

FoverF is doing a great job of laying out his views and opinions in support of his preferred approach. My comments are meant to help him refine that and to help him see what other factors may need consideration as he continues to develop his pitch, including the incorporation of some factors he may not have yet considered. FoverF's presentation is already an excellent example that we can point others to when they want to simply toss a suggested airframe/tank/ship name into the ring for debate. Without such background investigation by the interested parties, it simply becomes a general discussion based on LCF and wishes.

Thanks

Mike

That maybe so Mike, but remember that this is a internet forum, as I said before.  Again, you can't expect everyone to have a 500 word explanation behind their opinion.  If I may suggest, perhaps add a "Procurement" forum, that requires technical knowledge, research, and insight, and not LCF conjecture.  I belong to a number of other non-military forums, and most have a technical section where general disucussion is not permitted.  Otherwise, I say let everyone "chat".  That's why we're here.

Just a suggestion,

Cheers.

FoverF said:
The F-35 and F-22 were both designed from the beginning to be ESM platforms, in addition to their respective air superiority and multirole tasks. I'll elaborate a little more in the proposal,

I cant wait.  There is no such thing as an "ESM platform".  There are ELINT, TELINT, SIGINT platforms but no aircraft out there will be designed soely as an ESM platform.  ESM systems simply complement other detection systems such as Radar. Do not confuse RWR systems for ESM systems also.  The F-22 and F-35 may well have an ESM system on board but that hardly makes them "ESM platforms by design".  If you want you can argue with me all day, i will pull out the definition of ESM right out of My basic electronic warfare course manual.  And so we both understand what MY background on this is......I'm an ESM system operator .

LOL...does ESM stand for East Side Marios

Fire away about ESM and ELINT, but a fighter as an ESM platform is absurd. Satellites do that!

FF........have a read of the link below and navigate.

AESOP enjoy the fine BC weather. Just played 18 at Olympic View....lovin it

https://www.myaoc.org/eweb/StartPage.aspx

[thread jack]

Sigh....  BC weather would be nice - What am I missing?  I'll be home in the valley early Feb, just in time for the trees to start budding.

[/thread jack]

Perhaps my terminology is a bit off then.

The definition of ESM I was using is:
"That division of electronic warfare involving actions taken under direct control of an operational commander to search for, intercept, identify, and locate sources of radiated electromagnetic energy for the purpose of immediate threat recognition."

The F-22 and F-35 are both stealth aircraft, and were both designed to operate in complete emcon, without compromising their SA. This means gathering as much passive information (particularly RF signals) as possible, and being part of a network-centric system, to data-link it back to the operational commander and other airborne assets.
So I suppose it would be more accurate to say they were designed to collect and distribute SIGINT, in addition to their respective primary roles.

Which is why both of them where designed with embedded full-span leading edge, trailing edge, and full-length vertical stab antennae, and "other EW apertures".

These are (in the words of BAe, responsible for their EW systems) for "acquisition and tracking of  main beam and side lobe emissions, emitter location and ranging, emitter ID, mode determination, and signal parameter measurement;".
Also, "The EW system also can use the radar antenna for electronic support measures (ESM)".
(hardly what I would call an RWR)

So the question was 'what does a fighter have to do with ESM?', and the above paragraph is my answer.

Far be it from me to argue with someone who is a professional in the field, so perhaps you could clarify why, if I were to send this a/c off to sniff out another ship, for example, it would not be providing ESM? I suspect that this is mainly a minor disagreement of terminology.

FoverF,

according to the CF basic EW manual states that ESM is " that division of EW involving actions taken to search for, intercept and identify electromagnetic emissions and locate their sources for the purpose of imediate threat recognition.  The F-22 and F-35 are equiped with ESM systems because the have to detect their targtets in EMCON which precludes the use of radar and other active sensor systems.  This does not make them ESM platforms.  The CP-140 (which i fly) has an ESM system for the purpose of detecting submarines but that does not make it an ESM platform...there is no such beast.  ESM is exactly what it says...Support system.  The F-22 and 35 are FIGHTERS that use ESM as a means of target detection.  Aircraft like RIVET QUICK and RIVET JOINT are ELINT platforms because their mission is the detection and analysis of EM signals.

FoverF said:
So I suppose it would be more accurate to say they were designed to collect and distribute SIGINT, in addition to their respective primary roles.

You mean ELINT......."inteligence derived from electromagnetic non-communications systems by other than the intended recipient" (AAP-6) vice SIGINT wich incorporates comunications sytems emission interceptions ( although by defenition SIGINT includes ELINT and COMINT)

Semantics maybe.........but i see a big difference in the operational applications of the theory you describe

Fair enough.

The reason I said SINGINT rather than just ELINT is because the radar array has demonstrated that it can be used as a comms antenna, and so would likely be able to provide some COMINT as well.

FoverF said:
Fair enough.

The reason I said SINGINT rather than just ELINT is because the radar array has demonstrated that it can be used as a comms antenna, and so would likely be able to provide some COMINT as well.

Although it may have demonstrated that it could be used as a comms antena, i doubt it practicaly would.  Assuming that the F-22 and 35s radars would operate in the same range as most airborne radars (9-11 GHz) this isnt exactly the normal radio comunications range.  Also the single man crew makes almost impossible to mange a COMINT sytem.  They were designed as fighters and thats what they will do.  RC-135V/W and EP-3E will continue to provide dedicated EW support while fighters will use their EW systems in support of their own missions.  Case and point is that even with advanced EPM systems such as the advanced self-protection jammer, the US navy still sees the need for a dedicated VAQ aircraft ( EF-18G Growler) to accompany strike packages and provide SEAD for the embarked air wing.  The USAF will face the same requirement with the demise of the EF-111A Raven.

This is all very off-topic however, maybe a mod can split it

It is indeed an X-Band antenna. But it does have a whole lot of power behind it, and it is very directional.

The comms capability I was talking about is this (From aviaiton now)

Northrop Grumman, L-3 Turn F/A-22 Radar Into Wide-Bandwidth Data Link
By David A. Fulghum

TALKING RADARS

For the testing, an F/A-22, third-generation APG-77 radar is linked to an L-3 software programmable modem that turns the AESA on low-observable aircraft into a data link without disturbing the stealth fighter's signature, says Bruce Carmichael, L-3's vice president of Air Force programs. Air Force officials have emphasized that they want to exploit the fact they can get close to sensitive targets to both avoid detection and pick up low-power electronic signals. One target set includes hand-held, wireless communications devices.

Researchers have already demonstrated the transfer of a 72-megabyte synthetic aperture radar image in 3.5 sec. at a data rate of 274 Mbps., Carmichael says. By comparison, it would take 48 min. on today's standard Link 16. He says they ultimately demonstrated transmission rates in the laboratory of 548 Mbps. and receive data rates of up to 1 Gbps. through the F/A-22 radar array.

Obviously this doesn't adress the workload issue, but the vast majority of this data would be up-loaded and analyzed by someone else anyways. Either after the fact (downloaded after a sortie) or data-linked as close to real-time as possible. So while an F-35 crewman would  have extreme difficulty running a COMINT suite (or ELINT for that matter), no matter how automated, he won't really have to. He just flies the antenna around.

And in Canadian service, there are no RC-135s or EC-130s, or EP-3s, or what-have-you. Other than the CP-140 (which is laible to be of little use to a Task Group deployed to the South China Sea or anywhere else that is not Canada), an embarked F-35 would be by far the best EW game in town.

And while it is straying from topic slightly, we are still discussing the F-35 and it's capabilities and potential roles.

Foverf

Some really good and well thought out posting here. keep up the good work.

Slim
STAFF

FoverF said:
Other than the CP-140 (which is laible to be of little use to a Task Group deployed to the South China Sea or anywhere else that is not Canada),

Care to explain that one ?

Back