• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hearts of Iron 3

Mortar guy

Reaction score
I see there was an old post about HoI 2 but I'm wondering if there are any other HoI 3 fans out there?

Personally I haven't played it in a while but I do enjoy playing it. It is always interesting to try and make a small country powerful.
The one thing I don't like about the game is you can't really change the government type (unless you use some very specific cheats).
I always wanted to try playing Imperial Russia in WWII, but unless there is a better way to change the government it isn't going to happen.

Yup. Great game. If you like that, try Europa Universalis 4. It's by the same company (Paradox).

it you want to bring new life to HoI3 go and download the BLACKICE mod for it, it adds tons of new events, redoes the tech tree, AI, and a lot more

I enjoyed the game, but playing Canada, damned if I could figure out how to go to war with anyone besides the axis powers. I was more interested in a free-for-all.

Bummer they crapped out on the tech tree and made it so generic after a while.

Mortar guy said:
I see there was an old post about HoI 2 but I'm wondering if there are any other HoI 3 fans out there?

Despite its flaws (an AI that simply couldn't compete with the player using the same rules), I enjoyed HoI2. Breadth of options, depth in detail, it was a fun game.

HoI3 tried too much. It took the same basic game mechanics and tried to force you to cede control to the AI. It tried to improve the logistics, leadership, and experience models, and they came out clunky. The invasion of Russia became a bit more realistic as you could outrun your supply lines and intermediary infrastructure actually meant something, but the headquarters model was silly. Poof, I just waive my magic wand and a fast-moving, low toughness unit that can take ground just showed up. It also made optimizing more painful - I could maximize leader benefits by wasting manpower and supply with the overuse of HQ's, shuffling leaders around for the best use of bonuses and skill for critical battles vs gaining experience, but it was so time consuming and annoying to do that I just gave it up and let the AI handle it for all but the most important moments.

HoI3 feels like the spiritual successor to Master of Orion 3. A game where the player is shunted into giving the AI guidance, as a sequel to a game which was suited to micromanaging strategy gamers.

The game engine is used to drive EU4 and Victoria 2, without the HQs or strategic overlay. Those games I play because they're still fun. The last tasking where someone brought up HoI3, I lent the guy HoI2 and he never looked back.

Shrek,

If you want to fight somebody else, invest your leadership in spies. Use espionage to increase the belligerance (apparent badboy scale) of your target (eg Mexico?), while using domestic intelligence to lower neutrality to reduce the threshold needed for you to declare war.

Here's the wiki: http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Main_Page

Brasidas said:
Shrek,

If you want to fight somebody else, invest your leadership in spies. Use espionage to increase the belligerance (apparent badboy scale) of your target (eg Mexico?), while using domestic intelligence to lower neutrality to reduce the threshold needed for you to declare war.

Here's the wiki: http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Main_Page

Bam! that'd be my problem. I never invested in spies, couldn't figure em out. Did the old; make WWII Canada a superpower schtick.

I've played them all, more into the Total War series of games, even though Rome II is absolute shite.  Also play a lot of the Wargame series, addicted to the newest one... Wagame: Red Dragon. 

Shrek1985 said:
Bam! that'd be my problem. I never invested in spies, couldn't figure em out. Did the old; make WWII Canada a superpower schtick.

I remember some folks playing HoI2 playing for hours setting up for a Canadian conquest of the US. There were mechanics that hamstrung American industry and military support until certain triggers (eg. Munich, Germany at war), and a combination of amphibious assaults and fast-moving ground units could effectively overrun the US before it could crash-produce a capable defence.

Paradox has moved away from that, and but you're welcome to give it a try.

In this series, I found smaller-scale portions of the game interesting. I always played the 1936 (full campaign) games.

France had a few options. There were events that gave consequences for extending the fortress line along the Franco-Belgian border, that might lead to them being more friendly to Germany. You could also try to maintain the full military alliance that was historically in place from WWI through 1936. One I found interesting was investing a chunk of French industry into factories in the colonies, then giving independence to everyone under the sun. The investment timeline worked pretty well: after the overseas factories (which you lose when you no longer own the territory), you produce a big wave of consumer goods to get over the massive dissent hit of giving up the colonies. You then put everything you can spare into some combination of armour for counter-attacks, CAS for both offence and defence, and interceptors to keep the Luftwaffe off your back. Meanwhile, the colonies will produce infantry that you can ship in to shore up your lines. The colonies will be able to make full use of their provinces manpower (which you couldn't when you ruled it directly) and the factories you built let them turn it into units. You can then focus on the industry-intensive units to complement their infantry. Your puppets get all the tech you had when you released them, but make sure you at least help them out with the infantry and doctrine techs as time goes on.

Japan in China's another interesting one. Balancing the production of an air force and navy to take on the rest of the world with fighting major ground campaigns and diplomacy's tough. I'd try to stick with the starting ground units, establish some "just strong enough" garrisons on good defensive ground, and suck the enemy into disorganizing themselves with offensives. Sometimes it worked, sometimes I'd get in over my head. Routs don't work well with slow-moving units. Airborne units take some investment, but they're damned helpful for Japan on the mainland.

Naval combat has been pretty universally disappointing in the series. The U-boat campaign has always been broken, and tactical combat has improved in fits and starts. Strategic warfare may have become more effective in later patches, but outside of combination with major events on the ground (ie you're already clearly winning), the national unity hits aren't doing anything useful for you. Resources are better spent elsewhere. The navy and the air force are meant to maintain superiority and let you move your ground forces at will and deny the same to the enemy.

So I am a huge fan of the game, despite some minor flaws. I have yet to find another game that allows you to simulate warfare at the strategic level with such fidelity. I like to control all aspects of the game and don't let AI do anything so games tend to take weeks to play (when I can find time to play!). If I could change anything about the game it would be in regards to the interface between strategic and theatre level logistics. This is something most gamers would not be interested in, I know, but strategic/operational level logistics is something that has always fascinated me. I've recently read a number of the US Army "Green Books" - the series that chronicles WW2 - on logistics and engineering and they are great reads. Anyway, without going too far down that road, suffice it to say I would love it if there was player control of logistics in general.

Lastly, I recently downloaded the DWI mod which I recommend to those who are sticklers for realism like myself. It doesn't add much to the game other than more eye-watering detail regarding unit ORBATs and the like.

MG

So out of all of us who is exciting for HoI4?

and MG I have played that mod, but I would still recommend Black Ice over it, where historical ORBATs and key for every country, even Canada with all the events we get (creating 1 CPB, 1st special service force) and so, Black ICE also recenting brought in covert operations, assasinations of enemy leaders, helping resistance moments, stealing documents.

more info at http://blackicemod.com/

As context while I didn't have a very large army as Canada, after getting Lend Lease from the Us and UK, I built up my IC to roughly 500 base, by 1953 (the war was still going on) I had major airbases, prefab ship building, Sicily and Sardinia were the 7th and 8ths provinces of Canada, the Leopard 1 was my Main battle tank, the Avro Arrow was my interceptor, and the Navy was operating St. Laurent-class destroyers. While it wasn't a large force (1.3 million on all fronts) I had a very modern and capable force capable of punching small holes in much larger German and Japanese defenses. In 1957 the war in Europe finally ended, and attention went to the pacific. After a long Island hoping campaign and a American-Canadian lead invasion of the Japanese home islands (followed by a Canadian bomber dropping the first atomic bomb on Pyongyang in Korea of all places to end the war) it all came to an end in 1957 with the game jumping into a cold war wit the soviet union who now had half of Europe.

A war that goes to 1957!? Wow. I've never had to go past 1946 but I'd love to try that one day.

As for HoI4 I am cautiously optimistic. I really hope they don't throw out the things I love while bringing in features that don't really improve the game.

BlackICE - I have to admit I was a bit daunted by the installation instructions. I know how to turn my computer on and off but as soon as it gets much more complicated than that, I stay away. I was also a bit concerned that BlackICE would be like the TRP mod - i.e. something that was supposed to add 'realism' but in fact doesn't accomplish that aim.

Lastly, I am looking forward to that Paradox Cold War game (East vs. West?). Not sure if it's out yet but that should be a good'er.

MG

Mortar guy said:
A war that goes to 1957!? Wow. I've never had to go past 1946 but I'd love to try that one day.

As for HoI4 I am cautiously optimistic. I really hope they don't throw out the things I love while bringing in features that don't really improve the game.

BlackICE - I have to admit I was a bit daunted by the installation instructions. I know how to turn my computer on and off but as soon as it gets much more complicated than that, I stay away. I was also a bit concerned that BlackICE would be like the TRP mod - i.e. something that was supposed to add 'realism' but in fact doesn't accomplish that aim.

Lastly, I am looking forward to that Paradox Cold War game (East vs. West?). Not sure if it's out yet but that should be a good'er.

MG

1946 is the defult end, Black ICE leaves it open ended. and black ICE has gotten easier, with an installer now

Mortar guy said:

MG

EvW was cancelled in March.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?760477-A-joint-statement-from-BL-Logic-and-Paradox-Interactive!&s=f73bc492585a701fd46de6b2b058ebf0

Brasidas said:
EvW was cancelled in March.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?760477-A-joint-statement-from-BL-Logic-and-Paradox-Interactive!&s=f73bc492585a701fd46de6b2b058ebf0

I heard it may survive as a mod though

Back