• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heavy Truck Purchase Announcement

When will Stephen Staples be calling this a "logistics race" with the Taliban?  I wager for no later than 2359 11 May, 2007.  Any takers?

;D

Well there.  The new gun tractor has been chosen.  I just searched over on the Artillery board (a quick search mind you, as there isn't a great deal of time to surf over here... :p ) and couldn't find a topic discussing the impending arrival of a new gun tractor.  I could have sworn I saw something there about this months ago...

Wow, very nice, I'll have to send the PM a thank You note.

All this new equipment, is making me giddy, even my wife says I'm smiling more these days ;D Its nice to see we're taking care of our most valuable treasure over there, our troops, God bless them and help us keep them safe!

{best Darth Vader voice}
Impressive, very impressive.
Looks like something from the Imperial Arsenal.  Does it come with legs?
Seems versatile with a flatdeck, PLS and fifth wheel variants.  Wonder if they'll put a crane or HIAB on some? 
Too bad she's automatic.  Some operators enjoy jammin' and slammin' and the choice to pick a gear for conditions.
driving.gif

BYT Driver said:
{best Darth Vader voice}
Impressive, very impressive.
Looks like something from the Imperial Arsenal.  Does it come with legs?

Like this?  ;)

SCNR,
ironduke57

Is this a replacement for all HLVW, or just those in Afghanistan?

The important question for me is "Can we use these new trucks to run over the vandals discussed in other hot thread of the day?"

You know....to check to ensure the tires can flatten stupid hippies without puncturing.

Matthew.  ;D

Cdn Blackshirt said:
The important question for me is "Can we use these new trucks to run over the vandals discussed in other hot thread of the day?"

You know....to check to ensure the tires can flatten stupid hippies without puncturing.

Matthew.   ;D

Sorry Matthew, that is reserved for Tracked Vehicles.  Tracks need to be greased periodically.  (After Washing, after Fording, after changing track, after X Kms, after excessive travel over rough terrain, etc.)

George Wallace said:
Sorry Matthew, that is reserved for Tracked Vehicles.  Tracks need to be greased periodically.  (After Washing, after Fording, after changing track, after X Kms, after excessive travel over rough terrain, etc.)

Tell me about it GW, that's one of the things I hate about track, the other is pounding track  ;D

George Wallace said:

Thanks George....I just blew coffee on my laptop.      ;D

ironduke57 said:
Like this?  ;)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=60795.0;attach=17412
SCNR,
ironduke57
Nice work!  They could certainly use the new mod on the terrain in A'stan.      :D

2FtOnion said:
$87 million for 82 trucks, it seems a little expensive

I'm probably out of my lane here but I remember reading that when we purchase stuff it includes the spares, the technology and the maintenace contracts for a certain period of time. they don't actualy cost over $1 million a truck.

I understand the price tag probably includes a maintenance and support contract or even life-cycle support, but it wasn't stated in the press release, even still what was the base-line truck cost?  how much of a supply parts block was included with the purchase? 

2FtOnion said:
$87 million for 82 trucks, it seems a little expensive

No...as a general rule, total life cycle costs run between 3 and 4 times the initial capital procurement cost.  That would put the trucks at roughly $250k to $330k...that's fairly resonable considering what an on-road Class 8 tractor will cost or a Motorcoach...

G2G

Does anyone have a good link to some in-depth info on these trucks?  I have been searching the net and can find very little.  CASR has some info.  I would like to know who else is using these machines.  Are there any in Afghanistan that our guys have seen?  If so, what do they think of them?

Ljealexander said:
An announcement of the purchase of new heavy trucks for replacement of the HLVW in Afhanistan was made earlier today.

TN2IC replies....

3.gif

Back