• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Chicoutimi {MERGED}

Bograt

Inactive
Reaction score
Last Updated Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:22:06 EDT
HALIFAX - A rescue effort is underway off of the west coast of Ireland after a Canadian military submarine with 56 people on board issued a distress call Tuesday.

Military officials in Halifax said a fire broke out on HMCS Chicoutimi about 425 kilometres west of Ireland, but has since been extinguished.

The sub surfaced and sent out a distress call at about 10:15 EDT. Emergency officials at Clyde responded.

Later the submarine sent out another message saying the fire was out, but the vessel needed a tug to the nearest port.

HMCS Chicoutimi, the latest addition to Canada's submarine fleet, was one of four Victoria-class submarines purchased from the British navy.

It left the Faslane base in Scotland on Saturday, and was expected to arrive in Halifax on Oct. 18.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1096991616876_92400816?hub=topstories

My best wishes go to the families of the sailors of the Sub hoping everythings goes there way.

This is embarrasing and a waste of the taxpayers money!!!!!! We should worry about subs after we restructure the Army, Airforce and Navy. Id also like to send my best wishes to the crew

Alex252 said:
This is embarrasing and a waste of the taxpayers money!!!!!! We should worry about subs after we restructure the Army, Airforce and Navy.

Any chance that you are going to substantiate that?

Id also like to send my best wishes to the crew

Uhuh

Ummm yeah considering subs are part of a balanced navy.  ::)

PPCLI Guy said:
Any chance that you are going to substantiate that?

I mean is we should really worry about subs later untill we have
a) proper funding for the CF
b) have enough money to buy new subs
I dont know the actuall cost i admit but i know these used subs have cost enormus amounts for rapairs when that money couldve been used to help hati out or something

Alex before you bite off more then you can chew:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/19630.0.html

I mean is we should really worry about subs later untill we have
a) proper funding for the CF
b) have enough money to buy new subs
I dont know the actuall cost i admit but i know these used subs have cost enormus amounts for rapairs when that money couldve been used to help hati out or something

a) Do you expect that any time soon?
b) see (a)...you actually think the Government would cough up the money for new subs?
As for helping out Haiti how is that helping in anyway our capabilities?

Alright alright i see what you mean ex but it gets me mad when i see all the work put into these things and then have them catch on fire

Doesn't make any of us happy but bare in mind when the CPFs first entered canadian service they were utter pieces of crap! Now look how well regarded they are.

ReeeHhheeeeHHHEEAAALLLYY,

"This is something that our professional mariners are capable and good at managing."

Well, not to say that our submariners aren't trained well enough to handle the problem, and of course a fire on a SUBMARINE is more dangerous even than on a surface ship. But still, howcome they couldn't put out the fire if it started in an electrical panel? I suppose it's too early to speculate at anything but it's just sort of surprising it could be put of of commission by a fire so quickly and easily...

What the heck would happen if they were actually defending our borders against an enemy naval force? They would be sitting ducks! They'd probably already be hit!... This sub, as was mentioned also, hasn't been "modernized" yet so the equipment on board was probably not in good/great service.

I just hope those folks are okay and that they get on solid land ASAP! Glad it happened beside THE Commonwealth nation too...

Joe

You missed the fact that they did put out the fire  :p

Well, not to say that our submariners aren't trained well enough to handle the problem, and of course a fire on a SUBMARINE is more dangerous even than on a surface ship. But still, howcome they couldn't put out the fire if it started in an electrical panel? I suppose it's too early to speculate at anything but it's just sort of surprising it could be put of of commission by a fire so quickly and easily...
Well they are diesel electric submarines which means they are powered by electricity from the subs batteries. If there is no electricity there is no power. Shutting down the power is done so they don't run the risk of destroying the battery and the oft change of producing chlorine gas if exposed to seawater.

What the heck would happen if they were actually defending our borders against an enemy naval force? They would be sitting ducks! They'd probably already be hit!... This sub, as was mentioned also, hasn't been "modernized" yet so the equipment on board was probably not in good/great service.
what does this have to do with the fire onboard. Any mechanical casualty through enemy action or mechanical failure during wartime runs the risk of having the sub detected and sunk.

Ex-Dragoon said:
what does this have to do with the fire onboard. Any mechanical casualty through enemy action or mechanical failure during wartime runs the risk of having the sub detected and sunk.

Just to add to your point Ex.

Every machine that's ever been built by man runs the risk of mechanical break down, and yes, if it happens during armed conflict, you're probably going to get sunk, shot down or blown up. That's the nature of the beast. All we can do as fallible humans is to try to reduce the risk of being casualties by having, and practicing, proper training and preparation.

Joe, have you ever seen the video of the Apache helicopter that got engulfed in flames during a hot refuel? A hot refuel means that the refueling is done with the engines running, the reasoning for this is because a shutdown, fueling, and a start can take 30-45 minutes, a hot refuel can be done in about 10 min.   Within a second or two, the entire cockpit and most of the helo was engulfed in flames, the guys managed to get out but they were badly burned in most places.  

The point is that your world can go to hell in a hand basket so fast that all you can do try to salvage what you can. That sub could have sunk if the fire spread through the sub, it's the crew's quick reaction that prevented a disaster. I say kudos to the crew for a quick reaction thus preventing the loss of a sub and it's company.

Cheers

Ex made an excellent point regarding the CPF's.
Didn't see my dad for a year straight because those things were "Crap" then.

I say it's better the problems occur now than when they are running in a crisis or on patrol, or conducting some kind of actual task.

Stranded Canadian sub awaits Atlantic rescue
CTV.ca News Staff

One of Canada's troubled submarine fleet is stranded off the coast of Ireland, awaiting rescue after losing power when a fire broke out on board.

HMCS Chicoutimi, a diesel-electric patrolling sub, reported a fire in an electrical panel on Tuesday at around 11:15 AT. The fire was extinguished within minutes, but the vessel had already filled with smoke.

Briefing reporters in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canadian navy Commodore Tyrone Pile said the submarine had been scheduled for an "extended running period at sea" when it encountered the problem.

"This is a small setback," the commander of Canadian Fleet Atlantic said. "We're going to deal with the fire, find out what caused the problem, and get Chicoutimi over here to continue with the program."

Before that can happen, however, Pile said the now powerless sub must be rescued.

"We're taking this problem seriously, and our desire is to get that submarine and crew back to a safe port to effect repairs as soon as possible."

Britain's Royal Navy has dispatched a helicopter and a maintenance vessel to assist the stranded sub as it bobs in six-metre seas some 230 kilometres from Londonderry, Ireland. Two frigates have also been sent to the scene.

Answering reporters' questions in Ottawa, Defence Minister Bill Graham said the vessel could be waiting between 14 and 18 hours if it can't establish its own power before help arrives.

Without power, the crew is in for a rough night. The sea will knock the sub around, and there won't be any heat onboard.

"It is obviously not desirable to be without power on board," Graham conceded before sounding a more positive note. "They are a terrific crew, they're very professional, and they're managing the situation very, very well."

Although the cause of the fire and the extent of damage on board the vessel remains unclear, Graham said he has learned nine crew members suffered minor injuries.

"Nine of our personnel suffered smoke inhalation... I can assure you that is the only damage, those are the only injuries."

The outstanding questions, Graham added, will be answered in an inquiry into the incident.

The Canadian navy only recently took possession of the Chicoutimi along with three other Victoria-class submarines from the British navy.

A renaming ceremony was held just this past Saturday in Scotland, as the submarine changed its name from HMS Upholder to HMCS Chicoutimi.

As Pile explained, it was yet to undergo the "Canadianization work period" that would retrofit the vessel for full service in Canada's fleet.

The Chicoutimi was on its way to Canada and was due to arrive in Halifax harbour Oct. 18.

Another of the submarines bought at the same time, HMCS Victoria, is currently testing its torpedo system on the West Coast. A third vessel, HMCS Corner Brook, is undergoing work in Halifax. The fourth craft is HMCS Windsor.

The incident is just the latest in a string of embarrassing setbacks for the Canadian military surrounding the used subs, which Ottawa bought from Britain at a cost of $750 million.

The submarines were built in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but the British navy mothballed them in 1994, when they decided to go with an all-nuclear submarine force.

Canada agreed to buy the vessels in 1998 to replace three Oberon class boats. But shortly after Canada took possession, cracks were found in key valves on the subs.

Despite their record, Graham defended the decision to procure the undersea fleet.

"From every point of view these are very, very useful tools for Canada," he told reporters, dismissing suggestions they were simply substandard bargains. "These are very expensive pieces of equipment, and these were acquired at a very reasonable price."

As for the fire, Graham said it could happen to any vessel.

"This is something that our professional mariners are capable and good at managing."

Repairs and tests to certify the boats are safe to dive took longer than expected, putting the "Canadianization process" about three years behind schedule.

As a civilian and a taxpayer, I'm happy with these subs. I know the Australians have had a lot of trouble with their Collins class subs; submarines are very complex pieces of machinery. I think once the Victoria class boats have been updated with American fire control s/w (taken from our old submarines) and Canadian sonar equipment, they will be worth more than what we paid for them! The navy needs modern subs and we got a good deal...it just surprises me that the Liberals actually bought them!   :eek:

Richard

All right Whiskey, thats TWO beers you owe me, didn't anybody mention the " no Jack Layton" story theory to you?
These things happen, just get back safe, gentlemen.

Back