• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Summerside back from OP CARIBBE

Oh, don't misunderstand me. I'm just saying it's a shame that a job well done isn't as sexy as a scandal and the articles about the good our navy does tend to go unnoticed.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hungover_cat said:
Oh, don't misunderstand me. I'm just saying it's a shame that a job well done isn't as sexy as a scandal and the articles about the good our navy does tend to go unnoticed.

Yup, the same goes for the RCAF for the most part.  SAR and CF-18 demo and the like make it into the news, FB and all that jazz.  The other stuff...not so much.  There are 3rd tour types coming out of OP IMPACT already and none of that makes the news.  What some celebrity bimbo or mimbo was wearing at some stupid event certainly is "newsworthy" though. 

Cuz they probably look more attractive than some poor bastard in a flight suit.

Eye In The Sky said:
Yup, the same goes for the RCAF for the most part.  SAR and CF-18 demo and the like make it into the news, FB and all that jazz.  The other stuff...not so much.  There are 3rd tour types coming out of OP IMPACT already and none of that makes the news.  What some celebrity bimbo or mimbo was wearing at some stupid event certainly is "newsworthy" though.
I'd be much more worried if SAR missions DIDN'T get exposure in media outlets. That's precisely what we want media talking about. The CF-18 demo team is a PR dream for us and is one of the few positive subjects that actually gets wide recognition.

But the problem with that is then the average Canadian, who is becoming less clued in about the real world around them unless it is about new iPhones and other crap like that, thinks the CAF is all about SAR and airshows.

As long as SAR and airshows are still happening then, they think defence spending amounts are 'just fine'.

The issue then, is the average Canadian needs to be able to determine what issues are actually important vs what our PA machine is putting out there.

Hungover_cat said:
The issue then, is the average Canadian needs to be able to determine what issues are actually important vs what our PA machine is putting out there.

Wait for it, Joe from the 'Bridge is going to make complex input on your employment real soon.

And most of them want airshows, 'peacekeeping' (because it is our traditional role, as demonstrated in WWI, WWII, Korea, etc...) and less money on defence and more on 'whatever free shit they care about'.

Sunny ways!  I am waiting for the pay freeze...

Eye In The Sky said:
And most of them want airshows, 'peacekeeping' (because it is our traditional role, as demonstrated in WWI, WWII, Korea, etc...) and less money on defence and more on 'whatever free shit they care about'.

Sunny ways!  I am waiting for the pay freeze...

Yeah,  I've been hearing whispers about a pay freeze coming too.  Hope it's BS.

I am sure the pay freeze will apply to everyone, though, right?

Oh...wait...

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/mps-senators-get-pay-hike-as-canadians-struggle-with-stagnant-wages-rising-unemployment

jollyjacktar said:

All I've seen is the shared Facebook posts that are factually incorrect. I count the rumours the same as the "The RMS Clerks told us LDA was going away guys" crap for the last 3 years, right into shredder.

PuckChaser said:
All I've seen is the shared Facebook posts that are factually incorrect. I count the rumours the same as the "The RMS Clerks told us LDA was going away guys" crap for the last 3 years, right into shredder.
Don't forget PLD as well. Wasn't that supposed to go out the door?

Back to the original point though: It's nice to focus on the positive for a change! [emoji23]

Eye In The Sky said:
I am sure the pay freeze will apply to everyone, though, right?

Oh...wait...

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/mps-senators-get-pay-hike-as-canadians-struggle-with-stagnant-wages-rising-unemployment

Smells like the 11% raise the HoC gave themselves right before they froze our pay in 92/93.  They got to get the sunny ways money from somewhere.

well .... you know what they say : it's 2016 !

sad thing is that a majority of canadians actually voted for this guy ... but let's be honest , he does make amazing selfies !

krimynal said:
well .... you know what they say : it's 2016 !

sad thing is that a majority of canadians actually voted for this guy ... but let's be honest , he does make amazing selfies !

12919774_2016218808604094_8309893272499555471_n.jpg

jollyjacktar said:

This would imply that we have been getting raises. 

Back