• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Home Equity Assistance & "Military Families Pushed to Financial Ruin" (Merge)

Have you applied for 100% HEA out of Core and been denied?

• Yes. No further action taken.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes. But I was told applying for it was futile.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Yes. I am currently grieving the decision.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Yes. My grievance is at the CDS.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No. I have not applied for 100% HEA out of core.

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • No. (I have 100% HEA out of Core awarded).

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No. I was dissuaded from selling/moving/posting due to large home equity loss.

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters
Hopefully something positive comes of this.

MCG said:
Hopefully something positive comes of this.

I hope so too, but I won't hold my breath on this.  As ERC states regularly, Canadian public support is a mile long and an inch deep.  Once we're out of the spotlight, we get forgotten. 

Besides, I suspect most of the population think we don't pay taxes and get everything for free anyways, so they'd have little sympathy for us losing on a house due to postings. 

They'll just point to the fact that they made PMQs cheaper in Cold Lake! No mention that in most bases, there's a huge waiting list for PMQs and the ones they have are run down and 60 years old with no upgrades.

Good morning all:

In order to move forward on resolving the systemic denial of 100% Home Equity Assistance, the Canadian Forces Grievance Board is looking for decision letters from Treasury Board Secretariat.  If you are willing to provide me with these, I will forward them to the OPI at CFGB.  Please use private message to contact me.

New article this am: http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Military+ombudsman+appeals+defence+chief+over+home+equity/7791280/story.html

"OTTAWA - Canada's military ombudsman is appealing to the new defence chief to intervene on behalf of Armed Forces families who've been forced to swallow large home-equity losses after being transferred.

Pierre Daigle has written to Gen. Tom Lawson, saying his office has received "numerous complaints" about the home-equity assistance program.

The Canadian Press reported last week at least 146 military families faced financial hardship between 2007 and 2010 after being rejected for full compensation of losses when they were required to sell their homes in depressed markets.

The ombudsman looked at more recent data and concluded something must be done about the differing interpretations of federal policy when it comes to compensating soldiers for a mandatory transfer.

It is a growing problem that is eating into morale, Daigle said Tuesday.

"Money talks," the ombudsman said in an interview.

"When you sign on the dotted line for unlimited liability, you prepare to give your life to serve your country, you don't expect to be fighting a bureaucracy and administrative processes like that. It is not right."

The National Defence policy on relocation, written 20 years ago and largely unrevised since 1999, is outdated and the subject of complaints at every base Daigle has visited.

"While the average price of a house has tripled since then (as per statistics from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.), the benefits under the policy have not been amended to more adequately respond to the needs of Canadian Forces members and their families," Daigle wrote in a letter last month to Lawson.

The letter and Daigle's comments came as news to Defence Minister Peter MacKay's office.

"Minister MacKay was not copied on this correspondence," said spokeswoman Paloma Aguilar.

She said the benefit is long-standing, and the Harper government has taken other action to ease the burden on military members, most notably limiting rent increases for base housing.

"The housing assistance benefit guarantees that Canadian Armed Forces members and their families are protected from a loss on their home if they are forced to move because of relocation. Thousands of Canadian Armed Forces members and their families have received support from this benefit."

Since the 1990s, the military has encouraged members of the Forces to live off base, buy property and build equity for their retirement, the ombudsman said.

But forced transfers, especially since the onset of the economic downturn in 2008, have eroded — and in some cases destroyed — those nest eggs.

"Times are tough for everybody," Daigle said.

"But what we demand of military people in this country we don't demand the same for the rest. If you're told you go to one place to do that job, and you've got to be loyal and agree to that, why would you pick up the bill at the end?"

Since the early 1990s, compensation is paid when a military member is required to transfer and sells a home in a depressed housing market, one where prices have dropped by 20 per cent.

But National Defence and the federal Treasury Board are at odds over how they define certain housing market boundaries, a dispute that has led to an increasing number of applications being rejected.

Military officials have been arguing since 2009, without success, for the policy to be rewritten.

When an application is approved, the member is entitled to a full reimbursement of their equity. If it is rejected, the maximum payout is $15,000 regardless of the loss.

No one at National Defence was immediately available to comment, but last week a spokeswoman said the department does what it can to help military members make educated financial choices."

My comments on this:

From the policy, the 100% HEA is an entitlement, not a benefit.

The story identifies an increasing number of applications being denied...how about 100% of them.  Between 2007-2010, all 146 applications were denied. This does not include those since 2010.

WRT the policy: I have ATI requests which identify TBS does not have a definition of community.

As far as the assistance to military families: All sources of assistance were denied to me in my case as the issue was above their $5,000 max limit. The only assistance has been from social assistance and the MFRC! SISIP and the CoC recommended bankruptcy!

Heavy Reader,
Have you checked in with anyone from Comox? I was speaking to one of my Sgt's who is still trying to sell his house there, and will be taking a loss greater than the 95%/15K limit. When he spoke to IRP in Comox, they told him that in the last two years, all but one of the 100% HEA claims were approved. I was surprised to hear this, so I asked him to check into it again, just to make sure he is getting all the correct info before he finalizes his sale.

I wonder whether a HEA program that you had to opt into would ever float. Conditions would be that something like all losses would be reimbursed 100%, but any equity made off the sale of a current home would need to be put toward a member's new home, or returned to the Receiver General (there being exceptions for outcans, isolated posts, etc.). Or instead of returning the money to the receiver general, the member waives the right to reimbursement for any sale related fees on the next posting.

A. http://www.cfgb-cgfc.gc.ca/documents/Perspectives_May11-e.pdf
B. http://www.cfgb-cgfc.gc.ca/English/2011-025.html
C. DCBA 5080-1-57156(SSO CBGS) 15 Sep 2010
D. CFGBA Canadian Forces File No: 5080-1-10-B-57156, 29 Apr 2011
E. Letter to DCCL, 5 Nov 2012
F. Letter TBS-DCBA (17 Jul 2012)
G. E-mail DCBA-CFGBA 5 Jul 2012
H. E-mall from LCol Gash (DCBA)  31 Jul 2012

Capt Loadie:

As the news stories on this subject have gone national, horrific stories of loss are coming to me from all over Canada, including those who are in a position to loose this posting season. I have an ATI request in to get the numbers from 2010 to now, but I can confirm that between 2007-2010, there were 146 applications for 100% HEA and 146 applications were denied.  However, if/when this goes to trial it is important for any affected individuals to apply for the 100% HEA anyways. Upon initial application for 100% HEA, I was disuaded from applying both by the IRP representative and BOR as "no one gets approved for HEA". This is not an approved procedure to discourage people from applying for an entitlement.

DCBA did not forward my (and other) application to TBS, contrary to the 2009 CFIRP policy - "I find that the DGCB/DCBA Adjudication section contravened TBS policy by not submitting the grievor's HEA application to TBS for approval of 100 percent HEA reimbursement from Core" (Ref D).

As stated by CFGBA, "Further, I would note that the use of the imperative "will" in the CF IRP policy directing how submissions are to be made does not provide DGCB with the option to deny requests on her own authority. The DGCB has clearly indicated that "the CFIRP directive represented TBS approved policy and that the Department had no authority to amend such a policy ... " It seems somewhat ironic that DGCB would deny applications on the basis that TBS policy cannot be changed by the Department while failing to follow that same policy. The determination of depressed market applications is clearly the purview of the TBS and cannot be suborned by the DGCB." (Ref D).

As mentioned by the DGCFGA analyst, the CFGB has previously made a systemic recommendation regarding the need to have the HEA program reviewed. In a recent decision,the CDS agreed and directed DGCB to review the HEA provisions with TBS with a view to reducing the impact of losses on sale of a residence to a reasonable and minimally detrimental level. It is therefore not necessary for me to repeat this systemic recommendation, but given the prospect of further similar grievances due to the current trends in the real estate market, I am hopeful that this matter will be treated as a priority by both the CDS and DGCB." (Ref D). To date there has been no evidence of this provided through ATI requests. The Sept 2012 CFIRP policy on 100% HEA reamins unchanged, and "community" undefined, setting up future applications for failure.  Most significantly, even though directed by the CDS through the Grievance Decisions, DCBA refused to work with TBS to rectify the situation. I revcieved an e-mail from DGCB (21 Jul 2012)  "I will address your query with respect to if "DGCB will be working with TBS to resolve this issue". The short answer is no, as DGCB is not aware of any outstanding issue that needs to be resolved.  TBS completed an analysis of your file which was based on Bon Accord as part of the greater Edmonton area and provided an appropriate response accordingly.  You have received a final answer from TBS.  This issue is considered closed from our perpsective."

The CFGBA stated that "I realize that the word "community" is not defined by the policy, and that the CDS has recognized this and asked DGCB to work with TBS to rectify this deficiency. However, for the purpose of this case, Bon Accord must certainly be said to be a community all its own, with a Mayor and 1500 citizens, all living some 40 kilometres distant from Edmonton. The grievor has presented a convincing case showing how prices had dropped by more than 20 percent.  In my view, the DGCB did not follow the TBS policy in this case. There ought to have been a submission to TBS and, given the grievor's circumstances and the enormity of the loss, one would have thought DGCB would have been advocating vigorously on behalf of the grievor." (Ref D).

As for an "opt in" possibility, this is currently available in the US markets as Home Equity Insurance and could be a feasable solution, but would require some research to incorporate into current policy.

HEA Policies over the ages:

Pre 1999:

Guaranteed Home Sale Plan (GHSP), operated for three years as a government-wide project to try to minimize the losses incurred by homeowners due to market fluctuations upon relocation. Although the GHSP ceased in 1999.

2000: http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/irpp/pdf/aps2000_e.pdf

Home Equity Assistance

Members who sell their home at a loss may be reimbursed up to 100% of the difference between the original purchase price and the sale price.
Capital improvements shall not be included in the calculation of HEA, however, may be claimed separately from the Customized component.
•Core – Members shall be reimbursed 80% of all losses up to a maximum of $15,000; and
•Customized - Members may claim any remaining losses by using any available funds from the Funding envelope.
Warning – Properties selling for less than 95% of the appraised value require DCBA prior-approval to qualify for this benefit.

Capital Improvements Customized

Members may be reimbursed for capital improvements utilizing funds from the Customized Funding envelope. Capital Improvements shall be reimbursed when the member actually incurs a loss on the sale of their home after eligible capital improvements have been included in the adjusted
purchase price.

Example: Purchase cost is $100,000. Capital Improvements are $10,000.
Sale price is $100,000. In this example, the member would not qualify for Home Equity Assistance, however, since the loss is based on the adjusted purchase price including capital improvements, the member would be able to claim $10,000. However, if the purchase price were $90,000 and the sale
price was $100,000, there would be no loss on the sale of the home and therefore, the member could not claim any Capital Improvements.

2001: http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/irpp/pdf/aps2001_e.pdf

Home Equity Assistance

Members who sell their home at a loss may be reimbursed up to 100% of the difference between the original purchase price and the sale price.
Capital improvements shall not be included in the calculation of HEA, however, may be claimed separately from the Enhanced Core/Customized components.
•Basic Core – Members shall be reimbursed 80% of all losses up to a maximum of $15,000; and
•Enhanced Core/Customized – Members may claim any remaining losses by using any available funds from the Funding envelope.
Warning – Properties selling for less than 95% of the appraised value require DCBA prior-approval to qualify for this benefit.
Note: Deferred Maintenance: Any reductions of the purchase price based upon deferred maintenance shall not be included when calculating HEA.

Example: Routine inspection of member’s residence reveals that furnace must be replaced. In such cases, if the member in lieu of replacing the furnace at his own cost reduces the asking price of the residence, such reduction will not qualify as Home Equity Assistance.
Note: The original purchase price for new home construction consists of the following:
•costs identified in the Building Agreement;
•costs for initial landscaping which occurs within one year of occupancy (when not identified in the Building Agreement).

2002: http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/irpp/pdf/aps2002A_e.pdf

Home Equity Assistance

Capital improvements shall not be included in the calculation of HEA, however, may be claimed separately from the Enhanced Core/Customized components.
-Basic Core – Members shall be reimbursed 80% of all losses up to a maximum of $15,000; and
-Enhanced Core/Customized – Members may claim any remaining losses by using any available funds from the Funding envelope.

Note: Deferred Maintenance: Any reductions of the purchase price based upon deferred maintenance shall not be included when calculating HEA.

Example: Routine inspection of member’s residence reveals that furnace must be replaced. In such cases, if the member in lieu of replacing the furnace at his own cost reduces the asking price of the residence, such
reduction will not qualify as Home Equity Assistance.

Note: The original purchase price for new home construction consists of the following:
costs identified in the Building Agreement;
costs for initial landscaping which occurs within one year of occupancy (when not identified in the Building Agreement).

2003/2004 : http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/CFIRP_Main_Policy_APS_2003_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=99#General

Home Equity Assistance:

Capital improvements shall not be included in the calculation of HEA, however, may be claimed separately from the Custom Funding Element.

Core

Members shall be reimbursed 80% of all losses up to a maximum of $15K

Custom

Members may claim any remaining losses by using any available funds

Warning - Properties selling for less than 95% of the appraised value require DCBA approval prior to qualifying for this benefit.

Note: DEFERRED MAINTENANCE: Any reductions of the purchase price based upon deferred maintenance shall not be included when calculating HEA.

Example: Routine inspection of member's residence reveals that furnace must be replaced. In such cases, if the member in lieu of replacing the furnace at this own cost reduces the asking price of the residence, such reduction will not qualify as Home Equity Assistance.

 Costs identified in the Building Agreement;
 Costs for initial landscaping which occurs within one year of occupancy (when not identified in the Building Agreement).
Personalized

When all Custom Funds have been expended

2004/2005: http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/CFIRP_Main_Policy_APS_2004_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=99

11.16 Home Equity Assistance (HEA)

Members who sell their home at a loss are entitled to reimbursement for up to 100% of the difference between the original purchase price and the sale price.

Core Benefit
 Members are entitled to reimbursement for 80% of all losses up to a maximum of $15K.
Custom Benefit
 Members may claim any remaining losses, from funds available in their Custom Funding Formula.
Personalized Benefit
 When all Custom funds have been expended.
Notes:
 Market value is to be based on the appraisal provided by CF IRP
 Capital improvements shall not be included in the calculation of HEA, but may be claimed separately as a Custom Benefit.
 Properties selling for less than 95% of the appraised value require DCBA approval prior to qualifying for this benefit.
 Any reductions of the purchase price based upon deferred maintenance shall not be included when calculating HEA.
 The original purchase price for new home construction consists of the following costs:
 - identified in the Building Agreement;
- for initial landscaping which occurs within one year of occupancy (when not identified in the Building Agreement).

2005/2006: http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/pdf/CFIRP05/EA0_e.pdf

Members who sell their home at a loss are entitled to reimbursement for up to 100% of the difference between the original purchase price and the sale price.
Core Benefit
• Members are entitled to reimbursement for 80% of all losses up to a maximum of $15K.

Custom Benefit
• Members may claim any remaining losses, from funds available in their Custom Funding Formula.

Personalized Benefit
• When all Custom funds have been expended.

Notes:
• Market value is to be based on the appraisal provided by CF IRP
• Capital improvements shall not be included in the calculation of HEA, but may be claimed separately as a Custom Benefit.
• Properties selling for less than 95% of the appraised value require DCBA approval prior to qualifying for this benefit.
• Any reductions of the purchase price based upon deferred maintenance shall not be included when calculating HEA.
• The original purchase price for new home construction consists of the following costs:
- identified in the Building Agreement;
- for initial landscaping which occurs within one year of occupancy (when not identified in the Building Agreement).

2006/2007: http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/Policy_Clarifications/Chapters_1_to_14.doc

Members who sell their home at a loss are entitled to reimbursement for up to 100% of the difference between the original purchase price and the sale price under the specific funding envelope as follow:

Core Benefit
• Reimbursement for 80% of the loss.  The maximum is $15K.

Custom Benefit
• Any remaining losses from funds available in their Custom Funding Formula when members chose to use custom benefit for this purpose.

Personalized Benefit
• When all Custom funds have been expended.

NOTE:
• Market value is to be based on the appraisal provided by CF IRP
• Capital improvements shall not be included in the calculation of HEA, but may be claimed separately as a Custom Benefit.
• Properties selling for less than 95% of the appraised value require DCBA approval prior to qualifying for this benefit.
• Any reductions of the purchase price based upon deferred maintenance shall not be included when calculating HEA.
• The original purchase price for new home construction consists of the following costs:
- identified in the Building Agreement;
for initial landscaping which occurs within one year of occupancy (when not identified in the Building Agreement).

2007/2008: No change

2008/2009: http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/pdf/CFIRP_policy_A-PP-005-IRP-AG-001-1_Apr-08_e.pdf

Equity Assistance (HEA)

As per the HEA calculation criteria listed below, CF members who sell their home at a loss are entitled to reimbursement for up to 100% of the difference between the original purchase price and the sale price from specific funding envelopes as follows:
Core benefit
• 80% of the loss, to a maximum of $15,000; and
• 100% of the loss, in places designated as depressed market areas by Treasury Board Secretariat (TBS).
Custom benefit
In excess of core entitlement.

Personalized benefit
When all custom funds have been expended.

HEA calculation criteria
• Properties selling for less than 95% of the market value require DCBA approval prior to qualifying for this benefit. Market value is to be based on the appraisal provided by CFIRP.
• Capital improvements shall not be included in the calculation of HEA but may be claimed separately as per art 8.2.10.
• The original purchase price for new home construction consists of costs: identified in the Building Agreement, and for initial landscaping which occurs within one year of occupancy
(when not identified in the Building Agreement).

2009/2010: http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/download_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=99&docid=175

8.2.13 Home Equity Assistance (HEA)

As per the HEA calculation criteria listed below, CF members who sell their home at a loss are entitled to reimbursement for up to 100% of the difference between the original purchase price and the sale price from specific funding envelopes as follows:

Core benefit
•80% of the loss, to a maximum of $15,000; and
•100% of the loss, in places designated as depressed market areas by Treasury Board Secretariat (TBS).

Custom benefit

Personalized benefit

HEA calculation criteria
•Properties selling for less than 95% of the market value require DCBA approval prior to qualifying for this benefit. Market value is to be based on the appraisal provided by CFIRP.
•Capital improvements shall not be included in the calculation of HEA but may be claimed separately as per art 8.2.10.
•Any reductions of the sale price based upon deferred maintenance shall not be included when calculating HEA.
•The original purchase price for new home construction consists of costs:
•identified in the Building Agreement, and
•for initial landscaping which occurs within one year of occupancy
(when not identified in the Building Agreement).

Depressed market, as established by Treasury Board Secretariat, is defined as a community where the housing market has dropped more than 20%.

Depressed market status may be evaluated when:
A CF member and the Realtor build a case for depressed market status by submitting the following documentation to DCBA through the CF Relocation Coordinator for review, DCBA will forward it to IRP Program Authority at Treasury Board Secretariat:

1. Personal introduction including an outline of changes in the local economy evident during the time at origin.

2. All pertinent information with respect to the purchase of the subject property. This would include the original purchase agreement, the current appraisal report, list of the capital improvements made to the property and the related costs. Also, the appraised value when originally purchased and any property assessments since the time of purchase. Regarding cost of construction, this will require submission of original receipts to confirm the original purchase price, if a building contract was not used. Capital
improvements must be supported by original receipts only.

3. General and specific information on the geographic location and local economic state; i.e. the circumstances that may be happening in the surrounding areas such as mill closures, unemployment rate, school closures. Include relative newspaper articles, memos, and objective evidence of market
decline. Also, include sale date, date offer received, listing date list price, lowered list price and any home equity loss paid.

4. For real estate information:

a. Letter from Realtor expressing his/her professional opinion of the overall decline in the market since time of purchase;
b. Copies of comparable sales (similar type homes) that were concluded within the past 6 to 12 months;
c. Number of current listings in various price ranges and number of days on the market;
d. Number of sales (year-to-date) in various price ranges and number of days on the market;
e. Number of sales during previous 2 years in various price ranges and number of days on the market;
f. Number of foreclosures (year-to-date) and same for previous 2 years; and
g. Current vacancy rates, and similar information from previous years.
NOTE: All items must be labelled with a table of contents.

2010/2011 No change

2011/2012 http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/pdf/CFIRP_policy_A-PP-005-IRP-AG-001-1_11-12_e.pdf

8.2.13 Home Equity Assistance (HEA)

Core benefit
•80% of the loss, to a maximum of $15,000; and
•100% of the loss, in places designated as depressed market areas by Treasury Board Secretariat (TBS).

Custom benefit

Personalized benefit

HEA calculation criteria
•Properties selling for less than 95% of the market value require DCBA approval prior to qualifying for this benefit. Market value is to be based on the appraisal provided by CFIRP.
•Capital improvements shall not be included in the calculation of HEA but may be claimed separately as per art 8.2.10.
•Any reductions of the sale price based upon deferred maintenance shall not be included when calculating HEA.
•The original purchase price for new home construction consists of costs:
•identified in the Building Agreement, and
•for initial landscaping which occurs within one year of occupancy (when not identified in the Building Agreement).

Depressed market, as established by Treasury Board Secretariat, is defined as a community where the housing market has dropped more than 20%.

Depressed market status may be evaluated when: A CF member and the Realtor build a case for depressed market status by submitting the following documentation to DCBA through the CF Relocation
Coordinator for review, DCBA will forward it to IRP Program Authority at Treasury Board Secretariat:
1. Personal introduction including an outline of changes in the local economy evident during the time at origin.

2. All pertinent information with respect to the purchase of the subject property. This would include the original purchase agreement, the current appraisal report, list of the capital improvements made to the property and the related costs. Also, the appraised value when originally purchased and any property assessments since the time of purchase. Regarding cost of construction, this will require submission of original receipts to confirm the original purchase price, if a building contract was not used. Capital
improvements must be supported by original receipts only.

3. General and specific information on the geographic location and local economic state; i.e. the circumstances that may be happening in the surrounding areas such as mill closures, unemployment rate, school closures. Include relative newspaper articles, memos, and objective evidence of market decline. Also, include sale date, date offer received, listing date list price, lowered list price and any home equity loss paid.

4. For real estate information:
a. Letter from Realtor expressing his/her professional opinion of the overall decline in the market since time of purchase;
b. Copies of comparable sales (similar type homes) that were concluded within the past 6 to 12 months;
c. Number of current listings in various price ranges and number of days on the market;
d. Number of sales (year-to-date) in various price ranges and number of days on the market;
e. Number of sales during previous 2 years in various price ranges and number of days on the market;
f. Number of foreclosures (year-to-date) and same for previous 2 years; and
g. Current vacancy rates, and similar information from previous years.
NOTE: All items must be labelled with a table of contents.

I was just thinking how ironic it is that Delisle can get in front of a  judge in a matter of days, while those denied tens of thousands of dollars in entitlements have had to wait over three years!

HELP HELP HELP

Our group is seeking anyone who had their community identified as a "Depressed Market" between 1990 and 2012.  If you qualified for the Guaranteed Home Sale Plan (GHSP), HEAP then we could really use your help.  Please contact me at your earliest convenience i_win(at)live.ca

Your help could help hundreds of short changed military families.

Thank you in advance.

George Wallace said:
I find it interesting that one or two posters here have the impression that if they put $20K worth of work into their home in the way of renovations, etc. that they should recoup all that money as well.  In fact, there are very few improvements that one can do to their home that will guarantee a hundred per cent return for their expenditure.  I am not saying that it will not increase the value of your property, only that it will not increase the value by the same amount as your Reno costs.

As I have learned recently, keeping receipts for the expenditures is rather important. In my case, I have put 20 grand in easy. And that is with me doing all the work. I reno'd a bathroom, added a deck, added a bedroom and other things. I did this for me not for the added value.

However, At this point when I sell my house I will probably lose money overall. I bought the house 8 years ago because I added a kid and renting a bigger Q for the same price as a mortgage seemed dumb to me. At the time, I was looking at an 1100 dollar a month rent in a Q. I bought the cheapest house in Victoria. And I made it better because that is what I wanted to do.

For the past year, I have been posted away from my family against my will.  That added cost to my life. One LTA a year doesn't really allow you to have a healthy marriage or keep you're kids sane. So I flew back a couple more times on my own dime. I have been adding debt waiting and waiting. So when I was posted again, IR was not an option. Now because the bottom dropped out of the Victoria market for the first time in my memory, all the equity I gained in my house and all the money I put in to the house in improvements is gone. I lost about 100000 on my house in value. If that isn't depressed, I don't know what is.

I don't expect the military to pay that hundred grand but they could do a little to cushion the blow. Instead they are cutting back on our benefits. I am probably going to have to declare bankrupcy soon because of my losses,  my wife is giving up her good paying job to move with me and rent here being not much less than Victoria yet it has no PLD. A little bit of a cushion would probably keep me a float until I things even out.

Btw. If we were Public Servants we wouldn't have to deal with this. One of the guys I know is a reservist as well as a Civilian employee and his union is rejecting the loss of severence and they are getting a pay raise.

I don't think public view of the military is terribly screwed.  I think for whatever reason the media has a problem with trying to evoke a negative view on the military.  I don't know how effective it is.  I am sick of headlines like "soldier charged with X" or "Veteran found doing X"  If these people were mail carriers (unless for mail fraud of course) I doubt the headline would be "Mail carrier pleads guilty to leaving dog in car".  Perhaps a mention of occupation within the story but not right on the headline.  I like to think that civilians can read through this yellow journalism.  Sure there are "bad" soldiers.  Sure their are "bad" truck drivers too though. 

Anyway, regarding to the market value when selling etc.  Most people make a choice to move to gain something, a better job, a better house, a better location.  Few jobs require you to move just in the course of maintaining employment.  Obviously the Members of the CF have a special circumstance here.  It bothers me that people are not being reimbursed for this.

PuckChaser said:
They'll just point to the fact that they made PMQs cheaper in Cold Lake! No mention that in most bases, there's a huge waiting list for PMQs and the ones they have are run down and 60 years old with no upgrades.

Its funny you mention this.  It seems to me with how things are changing and the financial cuts to posting benifits and IR ect ect that PMQs are becoming a more attractive option for some. 

Perhaps DND/CFHA should look at expanding PMQs, meaning is it time to start building new ones ?

Halifax Tar said:
Perhaps DND/CFHA should look at expanding PMQs, meaning is it time to start building new ones ?

The whole time I was in Ottawa, this was discussed by many of us (off the record of course). Someone in the know (at CFSU(O)) confided in me the dollar figure to cover off personnel on IR for rent alone and I was amazed. We questioned why DND didn't either buy or lease a couple apartment buildings downtown but then I guess like some* of the landlords, the minute someone finds out it is government, the cost gets artifically inflated.
I think PMQs should indeed be a first choice for us if we know we will be at a location for a fixed period but because (in general) of various problems stemming around age and probably lack of maintenance due to lack of $$$, it is actually the opposite. I am sure some areas are good, but some are borderline 'slumlord' quality.

I also know that, like Dimsum says, unless someone outside the CF knows one of us, the perception is indeed that we do not pay taxes nor into an employee pension fund. Again, I guess each of us educating people in a tactful manner when the opportunity arises is the way around this.

We shall see where all these slashes leave us personnel-wise in 6-8 years. I always thought the unofficial rule was that if you were posted, it should not cost you anything out of pocket-I guess that is gone by the wayside now.

Pat

* Where I stayed, I personally did not experience this and in fact the building manager would have gladly dealt exclusively with CF folks

Pat in Halifax said:
We questioned why DND didn't either buy or lease a couple apartment buildings downtown but then I guess like some* of the landlords, the minute someone finds out it is government, the cost gets artifically inflated.

I had heard last year that DND was looking into acquiring (whether it be through construction or purchase / lease) an apartment building just for all the IR pers to alleviate the costs. Don't know how true this is, as I can't even fathom how much it would cost; but even though the up front cost would be enormous, over the long run I would think it would be far, far cheaper.... :stirpot:

Tcm621 said:

Btw. If we were Public Servants we wouldn't have to deal with this. One of the guys I know is a reservist as well as a Civilian employee and his union is rejecting the loss of severence and they are getting a pay raise.

IIRC, it was DND's civilian employees who voted to accept the last round of bargaining and they agreed to a pay raise and also agreed to forego (give up) severance pay. They are public servants.

I'm quite sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

ArmyVern said:
IIRC, it was DND's civilian employees who voted to accept the last round of bargaining and they agreed to a pay raise and also agreed to forego (give up) severance pay. They are public servants.

I'm quite sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Not to mention that it was PSAC (the largest PS union) that initially voted to forego severance.  I can't speak for any of the other unions, but when discussions were going nowhere between our union and the gov't bargaining team, and they agreed to go to arbitration, the arbitration process gave away our severance despite some pretty solid arguments for keeping it.  Tcm621's friend may just find themselves rejecting the severance cut, but having it imposed anyway by an adjudicator.

Back