• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Honours & Awards (merged)

tacmed2007 said:
OK first thanks puck chaser for the FYI have better things to do then sit here and post, I came here looking for a can-forgen...whatever dude  I have been out doing my job. I had this post sent to me, so i said what i thought....

Second Jammer I was there in FOB Wilson with the TF 3-09 and B&C coy 1/12 Inf, B coy 101st Airborne Div, So yes Jammer I was there.

Third my name is on this as part of an investigation being carried out by the 1/12 Inf US Army as part of the action that day by several members. So who did what will come out...but that is beyond me.

As far as those that choose to blast off, well I can assume none of you where there and are going off third forth, reporters versions...so whatever the few that want to attack my " status as a troop" have at er, been in this rodeo for a long time....what makes a solid troop in this army, one that never takes what is not his, one that stands up for the troops, and one that will go out that front gate every time, regardless of how many bad hits they took.

I would also point out that this whole H&A system we have is BS, there are dudes right now that are getting gimmes and crap for outstanding work, others that got a H&A for sitting at a desk drinking green beans. There is one dude that should have got the VC for what he did....i think he is getting the MID.

dudes did some righteous work my last tour over there and they should get what they deserve, most wont for one reason or another....
So, you just figured you'd come here and run your gate during an open investigation then?

We don't spend a lot of time dealing with self righteous little prigs around here.

I suggest you just wind in your neck and keep your opinions to yourself if you can't be civil about it.

You may not like our H&A system, but unless you know all the facts, for all the people that have received things, you should just be quiet.

Milnet.ca Staff

tacmed2007 said:
OK first thanks puck chaser for the FYI have better things to do then sit here and post, I came here looking for a can-forgen...whatever dude  I have been out doing my job. I had this post sent to me, so i said what i thought....

Second Jammer I was there in FOB Wilson with the TF 3-09 and B&C coy 1/12 Inf, B coy 101st Airborne Div, So yes Jammer I was there.

Third my name is on this as part of an investigation being carried out by the 1/12 Inf US Army as part of the action that day by several members. So who did what will come out...but that is beyond me.

As far as those that choose to blast off, well I can assume none of you where there and are going off third forth, reporters versions...so whatever the few that want to attack my " status as a troop" have at er, been in this rodeo for a long time....what makes a solid troop in this army, one that never takes what is not his, one that stands up for the troops, and one that will go out that front gate every time, regardless of how many bad hits they took.

I would also point out that this whole H&A system we have is BS, there are dudes right now that are getting gimmes and crap for outstanding work, others that got a H&A for sitting at a desk drinking green beans. There is one dude that should have got the VC for what he did....i think he is getting the MID.

dudes did some righteous work my last tour over there and they should get what they deserve, most wont for one reason or another....

So, now you were there too and SO involved that you, yourself, are part of the 1/12 Inf US Army investigation into actions by American forces that day ... But, here's your original post

tacmed2007 said:
Very interesting story...mind you there is a very different story from the US army Medics that ran that very base....hmmm

So, you were there or you weren't to know what this kid did? Just passing on idle gossip, rumour and inuendo I suppose as others certainly put their statements into official documentation and writing regarding the young Pte's actions that day. Where's yours on him ... if you were thetre as you now claim in your second post? I can only presume that it doesn't exist because, even were you at the FOB on the day in question, you have ZERO personal factual knowledge of what he did ... just "shit you heard". And you choose to denigrate someone whose file has been through the process --- along with statements obviously differing from "what your US buds told you" and the kid was awarded?

I'd suggest politely that it's time for you to shut your cakehole about your supposed "factual first-hand knowledge" that is actually non-existent.

Minus 300 more; it's a new day and a new post.  ::)

tacmed2007 said:

Rarely does someone say so much, yet really say so little. For the rest, I think Vern covered it better than I could. Second or third hand innuendo is of little interest in a community of professionals.

Here is a link to a National Post story re the award to the MMV to MBdr Holmes.

I interviewed Holmes and the other Canadian in early 2011. They had an impressive story to tell, including that early in the engagement they were informed that the Taliban commander had radioed that there were two Canadians present and they should be killed first. Needless to say, they stayed and fought.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/24/133336/

BZ!!

It's nice to see that some of this stuff put forward now YEARS ago is still getting processed! Well Done Mcpl!

BZ to all!

Soldiers and pilot recognized for valour in Afghanistan

The Canadian Press

Date: Thursday Jan. 26, 2012 12:54 PM ET

OTTAWA — It was one of the those heart-stopping moments every pilot who flew in Afghanistan feared -- the dull thud of rounds hitting the helicopter and the smell of smoke.

But for Capt. William Todd Fielding, it wasn't some abstract concern and on Thursday he was awarded the country's third highest valour decoration for what he did in the critical moments after the Taliban sprayed his CH-147 Chinook with gunfire.

Fielding was among seven members of the Canadian Forces to receive the Medal of Military Valour from Gov. Gen. David Johnston in a ceremony at Rideau Hall.

His helicopter was hit in the fuel tank and immediately caught fire as it took off from a forward position in the volatile Panjwaii district, west of Kandahar city on Aug. 5, 2010.

The native of Niagara Falls, Ont., managed to land the burning chopper in the middle of insurgent controlled territory and get everyone off safely without any casualties.

The other recipients were soldiers and included Master-Cpl. Adam Holmes, Master-Cpl. Gilles-Remi Mikkelson, Pte. Philip Millar, Master-Cpl. Paul Mitchell, Pte. John Nelson, and Sgt. Graham Verrier.

Holmes was recognized for actions that took place in Panjwaii that same brutal summer of 2010, when the 1st Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment battle group was locked in a series of bloody fights with Taliban insurgents and foreign fighters.

A native of Kapuskasing, Ont., Holmes repeatedly exposed himself to enemy fire and single-handedly turned back a group of insurgents who had come within 50 metres of his unit's position.

Both Mikkelson, Millar and Nelson were praised separately for delivering life-saving first aid treatment to wounded soldiers under fire.

Mitchell and Verrier were recognized for holding their ground under fire and inspiring other soldiers in separate battles in 2010.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20120126/william-todd-fielding-medal-of-valour-120126/

Well done guys.  I'm friends with Bill Fielding and he is a very modest fellow.  Only spoke of the incident when asked and gave little info.  I'm very glad that he got something.

By the way, having done H&A in KAF for 9 and a half months, I can tell you straightforward that nominations are actioned ASAP.  Not YEARS after as a previous poster stated.  The amount of nominations received during a 6 month ROTO is incredible.  Agreed that stuff that occured in 2009 should have been actioned earlier, but on the whole, the system has dramatically improved.

Let's end with the positive, BZ to all that received H&A today!!

BZ to Bill Fielding. Nice to see guys that you started with do well.

Jed said:

Here here!  Not that I started with him, but we were in the same Sqn for a time.

Jed said:

I have more than a few hours in the logbook with Bill sitting beside me.  Great to see him getting the recognition he deserves.

Good day all,

I am creating this thread to help educate and defuse as many myths about the Canadian Honours and Awards system and I invite anyone to please post questions they may have. 
From whether or not someone is allowed to wear an undressed ribbon before presentation of the medal, to the actual system of ordering medals for serving members, to the wearing of the ISAF bar, to rotation bars etc...

Instead of me posting the things I know about medals and such I would rather hear what the general knowledge is out there, hear the questions and guide fiction towards fact.

Back