• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hottest New Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bzzliteyr said:
Yeah, but it's not green?!?! What kind of Army guy would want that giving away his position??  It's SO not-high speed!

Tell you what Bzz, I've got some contacts at Thales, how about I get them to make you one in CADPAT ?  ;D

OOH, that sounds awesome.. is that the kind of radio where voice procedure is no longer necessary?  Cause I can tell you the VP I have seen in the last few years leave a lot to be desired.. you know, "we have crypto now, so we are always secure" type thing.

Bzzliteyr said:
Cause I can tell you the VP I have seen in the last few years leave a lot to be desired.. you know, "we have crypto now, so we are always secure" type thing.

Ugh...don't remind me..... ::)

Sig_Des said:
Tell you what Bzz, I've got some contacts at Thales, how about I get them to make you one in CADPAT ?  ;D

Isn't the Army buying the Harris AN/PRC-152? Its green...

BKells said:
Wow, my hypocrisy meter is off the charts.........

Bah. We've had this discussion already. No sense rehashing.

Time and tours will tell.

I'd like to know where you get that the reserves has a more "train how you fight" attitude than the regs. Are you aware that in the CH of O, you're not even allowed to wear so much as a pair of magnums on ex?

Where as the LER is allowed danners, recce smocks, chest rigs and custom webbing, 64 pattern rucks, bergens, VFGs and specialty slings, Proper assault packs, fleece toques, personal gloves, camelbacks, ad infinum.

Depends on the mentality of the Individuals in charge when you go to the field. Ours Realize that the non issue kit works better and allows the troops to be more comfortable and effective.

Ham Sandwich said:
I'd like to know where you get that the reserves has a more "train how you fight" attitude than the regs. Are you aware that in the CH of O, you're not even allowed to wear so much as a pair of magnums on ex?

I definitely love how I can wear my magnums on our 13k BFT on PLQ, but not in the field at the unit... Fantastic. Anyway, I'll take a bit of ribbing for wearing non issued kit when I can get away with it if that's how people feel. I don't carry anything useless.

I don't think that any of us are arguing that the reserves has a systematic 'train as you fight' attitude- I know I can probably safely say that I feel the same way you do about it. Some of us just do as best we can despite the strict adherence to the jokers across the canal. Systematically, we're still in the peacekeeping context despite some of the new training. Some individuals however are coming back from tour and telling us about their particular 'lessons learned' undiluted by the vagaries of the reserve world, and some of us do what we can to incorporate that at a basic level. It's certainly not mere kit lust.

Just for kicks, see if you can get QM to issue us each 12 or 14 mags on our next exercise (including leadership). See what the chain of command thinks about imparting a bit of realism into how things are done on ex. I might be worth the handful of inevitable lost mags to kick loose a bit of realization among the senior NCOs.

Dude -- they will burn you as a heretic.
  Trust me: I have experience being burnt

Infidel-6 said:

Sure, but they can only burn me on Thursdays and some odd weekends. I can laugh maniacally whenever I want.  ;D

Some guys in my unit wear non issue, and it isn't a prob, mostly cause all the higher ups are doing it.

:skull:

Infidel-6 said:

He speaketh the truth. I was tied to the stake four rows down from him.  8)

The how come some units allow it and others don't as noted relates to the unit's leadership and their attitudes, always has always will. Keep that in mind those of you who aspire to achieve high rank at some time in your careers. Said attitudes also change. The dinosaur Warrants of today were often unrepentant kit sluts back when they were Cpls. Some changed, some did not, both for various reasons goo , bad or indifferent.

Over ten years ago as a CSM I had a fairly realistic policy for my company, and one that was supported (or ignored by the OC depending on which one), that was if it worked and was basically green you could get away with it in the field. I drew the line at ninja stars, Crocodile Dundee knives and other LCF crap. Non issue boots, gloves, modifications to web gear, slings, rucks extra mags above the 5-6 in the list, dump pouches etc. however were good to go as long as you could demonstrate to me it worked better than the issue equivalent and understood that the CQMS couldn't replace it. Hey I was even a bit of a kit slut myself then.

Not all the units in the Toronto Garrison were as liberal in their views as I was. Some were down right Kit Nazis with my fellow MWOs enforcing those rules some reluctantly, others with a passion that scared and worried me as they prepared to re fight the Battle of Ridgeway. Even in my own unit the new RSM during my last year had a zero tolerance for non issued stuff and/or unauthorized modification's in the field. You haven't lived until you've seen a very senior MWO being jacked up by a CWO in the boonies in front of his company for their and his appearance kit wise. Prick had no web gear weapon, or cam stick on at the time either.  ::)

This one has been going on since the first CQMS issued the first stick, pointy, individual for the use of NSN 000000000001

Danjanou said:
He speaketh the truth. I was tied to the stake four rows down from him.  8)

The how come some units allow it and others don't as noted relates to the unit's leadership and their attitudes, always has always will. Keep that in mind those of you who aspire to achieve high rank at some time in your careers. Said attitudes also change. The dinosaur Warrants of today were often unrepentant kit sluts back when they were Cpls. Some changed, some did not, both for various reasons goo , bad or indifferent.

Over ten years ago as a CSM I had a fairly realistic policy for my company, and one that was supported (or ignored by the OC depending on which one), that was if it worked and was basically green you could get away with it in the field. I drew the line at ninja stars, Crocodile Dundee knives and other LCF crap. Non issue boots, gloves, modifications to web gear, slings, rucks extra mags above the 5-6 in the list, dump pouches etc. however were good to go as long as you could demonstrate to me it worked better than the issue equivalent and understood that the CQMS couldn't replace it. Hey I was even a bit of a kit slut myself then.

Not all the units in the Toronto Garrison were as liberal in their views as I was. Some were down right Kit Nazis with my fellow MWOs enforcing those rules some reluctantly, others with a passion that scared and worried me as they prepared to re fight the Battle of Ridgeway. Even in my own unit the new RSM during my last year had a zero tolerance for non issued stuff and/or unauthorized modification's in the field. You haven't lived until you've seen a very senior MWO being jacked up by a CWO in the boonies in front of his company for their and his appearance kit wise. Prick had no web gear weapon, or cam stick on at the time either.  ::)

This one has been going on since the first CQMS issued the first stick, pointy, individual for the use of NSN 000000000001

I got an email from my Sect. Comd. last night. Apparently the initiative in our coy now (and God knows how they got everyone up top to see sense- this came up from an MCpl) is that they're going to start burdening us with more realistic loads. Flak jackets to start, as well as mandatory wearing of BEWs and gloves. They may also start issuing ten mags. If they can get the CSM to carry ten mags plus all the other shit, maybe there will be a bit of an awakening in the CoC.

Right now about a third of our actively parading troops (including CO and half the MCpls) are putting in for 3-08, so given a couple years maybe things will change. We've got a bunch of guys coming back in a month, as well. I'll be curious to see how much our own unit chain of command pays attention to lessons learned.

To have some piece of high speed kit just cause it looks cool isn't on, but if you have a piece of kit and if works better then the issued kit, and makes you more effective so be it, I know guys in my unit with chest rigs, and off the shelf stuff. Some units are like this, and others well not so much.

:skull:

midget-boyd91 said:
DUCT TAPE

CADPAT coloured duct tape
;D

So I'm to guntape 6 extra mags to me.....ah heck while I'm at it I'll guntape up me up an assault pack.....like the guntape wallet. brilliant.

Do you happen to work at NASA on your weekends off? ::)

I got an email from my Sect. Comd. last night. Apparently the initiative in our coy now (and God knows how they got everyone up top to see sense- this came up from an MCpl) is that they're going to start burdening us with more realistic loads. Flak jackets to start, as well as mandatory wearing of BEWs and gloves. They may also start issuing ten mags. If they can get the CSM to carry ten mags plus all the other shit, maybe there will be a bit of an awakening in the CoC.

Brihard, that's good news, although I would probably use the phrase "load up with" vice "burdening" but I know what you mean.  There are several cases of BEW saving guys eyes, which is why they are mandatory wear in theatre.  Oakley's and other high-speed looking pieces may not (likely don't) have the protective coverage that the BEW does.  10 Mags - good! (I would avert my eyes, if not actively support chest rigs.) Gloves - are guys on patrol happy with the issue gloves?  That's a case where many guys try other stuff...I'd definitely stay away from the neoprene stuff because rubber on hands with an IED/fire risk is not a pretty picture...not cbt arms myself, but certainly while driving around AFG in a Land Cruiser, I'd wear my flying gloves, both for the fire retardency if we got hit and for the contact feel (I'm just used to gloves, flying, motorcycle, driving, etc...)

I know that DLR's overall intent is to get good kit to the troops, but sometimes scale of effort is not always able to respond to quickly developing situations.  I think they're 90% there, but you still hear about compromises in some kit so that it can be "used by all".  This is where it is good to see the CoC sometimes take a pragmatic and "responsibility-accepting" view of things.

G2G

Good2Golf said:
Item 1 - ...Oakley's and other high-speed looking pieces may not (likely don't) have the protective coverage that the BEW does... 

Item 2 - I know that DLR's overall intent is to get good kit to the troops, but sometimes scale of effort is not always able to respond to quickly developing situations.  I think they're 90% there, but you still hear about compromises in some kit so that it can be "used by all".  This is where it is good to see the CoC sometimes take a pragmatic and "responsibility-accepting" view of things.

G2G

Item 1 - Oakleys are the absolute best coverage and protection that you can get for your eyes!!!  I won't wear anything else but I'm LSHD at best.  Take a look at the guys that can pick whatever they want and sometimes even have to pay out of pocket - you won't find them wearing Revision (our BEW), maybe Wiley-X but most likely Oakley... 8)

Our BEW are a distant 3rd (or 4th or 5th) place!!!

Item 2 - there needs to be compromise, however it needs to be the other way around from the way that we're doing it at present.  The standard needs to be set by those at the pointy end and the kit needs to be formatted for them - any lesser users can compromise down.  As an example, if the TV had been set up for 10-12 mags (or better yet, as a modular rig) there is no difficulty presented when the trucker or fobbit only gets 5 mags issued, he simply has more room for extra Snickers bars... ;)...

blake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back