• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hottest New Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject of ballistic eyewear, I'm of the opinion (and this is just me, and I've got a bit of an angle here, admittedly) is that it's kind of like a construction worker who goes to Mark's Work Warehouse to pick up safety boots and safety glasses.  CSA and other testing agencies (ANSI/OSHA in the US) have adopted performance standards.  As long as he's using the rated stuff, he's covered by worker's comp, etc.

In the way of ballistic eyewear protection, if it meets the standards which the CF issued Revision Sawfly's which are tested to (ANSI Z87.1 and MIL-V-43511C) they should be good to go.  http://www.revisioneyewear.com/downloads/SAWFLY_EN_SELLSHEET.pdf

A number of companies offering competitive products to the Revision line are up to this standard; Eye Safety Systems (ESS), which incidentally CP Gear carries (shameless plug), is one of them.
http://www.essgoggles.com/uploads/ICE_Specs.pdf
http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=433

Blake, I'm with you on ratings.  If the Oakley's the guys are wearing wrap around like the BEW and meet at least Z87.1, okay, but same applies that QM won't support, etc...  Ironically, my Wiley-X, ANSI Z89.1 rated (slightly better than Z87.1) eyewear that is an option to wear with NVG when operating in conditions that may present recirculating/obscuring material (dust/sand/crap) exceed the BEW's rating, so on the ground I might consider wearing the Wiley-X's (although they're clear lens, not shaded)

Fully agree on the TV modular thing....I personally believe too much of a compromise was made for kit that should be thought of first and foremost as soldier (combat arm, combat support) gear, and not watered to include service supporter.  Those folks can use the LCV, (unless they require and will be using 10 mag, TV then).

G2G

Farmboy said:
The opposite is the soldier wearing issued kit that is held together with paracord and gun tape.  :-*

...as ordered by a forward thinking and enlightened supervisor, also known as the KAF-a-saurus. (this was e-mailed to me)

The KAF-a-saurus is often (not always) a member of a service trade, and dates back to the cretaceous period. He most often has a handlebar moustache and a drill cane/pace stick/clipboard under his arm. Adverse to any sort of exertion other than yelling, the KAF-a-saurus carries nothing other than his pistol, which is never drawn other than to clear before entering the mess, where his powers of observation allow him to fulfill his mission, which is to correct the dress and deportment of fighting soldiers. He is able to do this constantly by remaining seated at all times usually drinking coffee with the rest of his herd.

The KAF-a-saurus is to be avoided at all costs - this is not difficult, as he cannot move very fast and is easily distracted by such things as antennae whips not tied down, drip pans missing and garbage cans not covered off in neat rows. Should you be unlucky enough to encounter one, your best bet is to not make eye contact, and walk quickly with a purpose - the KAF-a-saurus is secretly intimidated by soldiers who leave the camp, and seeks to denigrate them (preferably at full volume and in public places) when he detects a percieved infraction.

At all times, justification for your actions is to be avoided. The KAF-a-saurus is armed with a clipboard full of one-liners which center on his demonstrating long service and rhetorical questions. Outwitting him or stating facts will result in accusations of "poor/insubordinate attitude" and draw the KAF-a-saurus to your unit lines, thus cursing your mates with his presence. Remember, reason and common sense have no place with the KAF-a-saursus, he prefers mono-syllabic answers and a feeling of superiority, never make him feel threatened or ask when he last encountered an enemy - he will become enraged!

The "kryptonite" of the KAF-a-saurus is an intelligent and/or enlightened Platoon Commander or OC. The KAF-a-saurus despises these people, because at the end of the day, he realises that his powers are useless in the presence of a higher ranking soldier, and will retreat to await a lower ranking one to ambush. As KAF-a-sauri (plural) are extremely difficult to avoid in their home environment, the preferred option of most units is to remain in FOBs, beyond his reach - or travelling at all times with those holding more rank than him. As neither of these are "ideal options" we must resign ourselves to an uneasy co-existence with him.

mudgunner49 said:
(or better yet, as a modular rig) there is no difficulty presented when the trucker or fobbit only gets 5 mags issued, he simply has more room for extra Snickers bars... ;)...

blake

Thanks for thinking about me...

Love Ya,
TN2IC

GO!!!  A KAF-a-saurus once tried to crap on me for not being properly turned out in....well...KAF.  Apparently I had the gall to be wearing something other than CADPAT.  I noted to him that it was a flight suit.  He told me that it was not a Canadian-pattern flight suit and thus I was wearing it illegally.  Although such a statement should have been backed up on his part with a recommendation through the CoC for a Sect 129 (et al) against me it was not.  He was partially correct on the first point; although US gear, the aforementioned flight suit was procured for by the CF for Canadian Aviators in hot environments on deployed operations.  Knowing the wily ways of the KAF-a-saurus, and the closely related Bos-a-saurus, Kos-o-saurus and Haito-saurus, I came prepared -- I carried a copy of the 3-leaf's message authorizing said clothing for just such an "improbable" occurrence.  Having struck out once, he told me that since I wasn't involved in flight operations, I should not have been wearing said clothing.  I told him he was, in fact, rather mistaken.  The KAF-a-saurus didn't take this too well, and was puffing up his chest to try and rip into someone about four or five ranks senior to him (depending on if we include the OCdt...a delicacy enjoyed by the KAF-a-saurus when not deployed.)  Patience paid off -- while I was staring at him blankly, formulating a response that was both witty and factually correct, the LCol with whom I'd just spent the last two hours over the Red Desert in an US CH-47 Chinook walked past, patted me on the shoulder and mentioned how enjoyable it was to get to fly again in theatre -- thanks for coordinating the ride.  KAF-a-saurus (who looked like he was about to give birth to a piece of concrete) then told me that my conduct in failing to adhere to TF dress policies was disappointing, provided a bad example to the men, then told me that he expected more from someone in my position.  I suppose he meant my hanging jaw and stunned look.  I regained my composure, then suggested that  "we" had better things to do, like concentrate on conducting operations.  KAF-a-saurus got upset at this suggestion, and provided one of his own.  I have yet to follow through with his suggestion...

G2G

Ahhhhh......I thought the dreaded ________osaurus line of creatures was slowly becoming extinct. I would really love it if one of them came on here and defended his actions!!!!! I guess this stuff never ends.  I look ever more forward to TF 1-08!!!!! Although I hope to be outside of the wire for most of the time.

On another note..... DLR should have gathered together everything an 031 carries, then built the vest.

ie: Sect comd: 10 x mags, 2 x frags, 2 x smoke, 521 with batteries, etc, IFAK, MNVG, DAGR, compass, Gerber, Flashlight, bayonet, lots o' water, etc, etc

westie47 said:
Ahhhhh......I thought the dreaded ________osaurus line of creatures was slowly becoming extinct. I would really love it if one of them came on here and defended his actions!!!!!

"You there!"[pointing with drill clipboard, blue wedge at rakish tilt, gay pointy moustache bristling]

"Not you, you you you you you or you - YOU!"

"What - are you %*&@ deaf?"

"Uh no - but you were yelling at a company sir"

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT I WAS YELLING AT - AND GET YOUR HEELS TOGETHER"

"Yes sir"

"Maybe if your fancy-shmancy-I'm-too-good-for-issue-kit-Oakley's were'nt blocking your ears you could have heard me!"

"They are on top of my ears sir"

"I'll tell you where they are!"

"Yes sir"

"What makes you think that those beach glasses will protect you dumbass? If you got shot in the face did you know DVA won't cover you? Did you know that my RQ does'nt stock those? Did you know that our issue kit is the best thing that is, was or ever shall be? Did you? - No you did'nt"

"These glasses exceed the ballistic protection offered by the issued ones sir, they also block UV light, even the clear lenses, and cover more of my face - providing greater protection and lessening the chance of a DVA claim or it's level of disability"

"OOOOOOOOH - another %^*$ barrack block lawyer here to tell me how to do my job - who do you think you are and who do you work for?"

"I work for WO _________. sir"

I think that pretty much explains it.....

Has anyone seen this?

www.youtube.com/watch?...l5fQ55A&NR

This bloke has got to be barking mad!  ???

The Rifleman said:
Has anyone seen this?

www.youtube.com/watch?...l5fQ55A&NR

This bloke has got to be barking mad!  ???

Thanks for a link...that goes nowhere.  ::)

Oh my God GO!!! I haven't seen that before, that's just to funny!!  ;D

GO!!! said:
"You there!"[pointing with drill clipboard, blue wedge at rakish tilt, gay pointy moustache bristling]

"Not you, you you you you you or you - YOU!"

"What - are you %*&@ deaf?"

"Uh no - but you were yelling at a company sir"

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT I WAS YELLING AT - AND GET YOUR HEELS TOGETHER"

"Yes sir"

"Maybe if your fancy-shmancy-I'm-too-good-for-issue-kit-Oakley's were'nt blocking your ears you could have heard me!"

"They are on top of my ears sir"

"I'll tell you where they are!"

"Yes sir"

"What makes you think that those beach glasses will protect you dumbass? If you got shot in the face did you know DVA won't cover you? Did you know that my RQ does'nt stock those? Did you know that our issue kit is the best thing that is, was or ever shall be? Did you? - No you did'nt"

"These glasses exceed the ballistic protection offered by the issued ones sir, they also block UV light, even the clear lenses, and cover more of my face - providing greater protection and lessening the chance of a DVA claim or it's level of disability"

"OOOOOOOOH - another %^*$ barrack block lawyer here to tell me how to do my job - who do you think you are and who do you work for?"

"I work for WO _________. sir"

I think that pretty much explains it.....

The true RCR RSM  ;D

These creatures are to be avoides at ALL COSTS no matter were you are

Sorry for the Hijack, but I figured this is as good a place as any to dump this, since it verges on silly.

Last night, I decided to see, for sure, how many magazines (C7) I could jam into my HSGI Denali Chest rig, in the appropriate mag pouches.

I was quite surprised.

IMGP1681.jpg

The Magic number is 20.  Yes, 20 magazines.  + 4 grenades and 2 pistol mags, with room for 2 M203 rounds (didn't have any dummies around) and 2 smoke. And thats without using the 2 utility pouches big enough for C9 boxes.

In comparison; Here's our lovely TV.

IMGP1686.jpg

It seems to be carrying significantly less (by about 5 times.)

Now I realize I would never want to carry 20 full magazines into battle in one rig (due to weight) but at least I have the option.

Whilst I was conducting this experiement, a few of the people of greater tactical importance in my unit gathered around, and one asked; "How many full mags did you have overseas in battle?", to which I responded "15".

He replied; "Where would you put 15 mags in a Tac Vest?"

"Indeed."

:cheers:

RHFC_piper said:
Sorry for the Hijack, but I figured this is as good a place as any to dump this, since it verges on silly.
Good post.
Not silly at all. A pic's worth a thousand words...and all that.

Once during FIBUA I was a LSW gunner and had a chest rig as well as my webbing - I carried 18 mags and a bandolier - I was breathing through my hole untill I magaed to loose off half dozen mags during the first contact  :mg:

RHFC_piper said:

Last night, I decided to see, for sure, how many magazines (C7) I could jam into my HSGI Denali Chest rig, in the appropriate mag pouches.

I was quite surprised.

IMGP1681.jpg

The Magic number is 20.  Yes, 20 magazines.  + 4 grenades and 2 pistol mags, with room for 2 M203 rounds (didn't have any dummies around) and 2 smoke. And thats without using the 2 utility pouches big enough for C9 boxes.

In comparison; Here's our lovely TV.

IMGP1686.jpg

It seems to be carrying significantly less (by about 5 times.)

Now I realize I would never want to carry 20 full magazines into battle in one rig (due to weight) but at least I have the option.

Whilst I was conducting this experiement, a few of the people of greater tactical importance in my unit gathered around, and one asked; "How many full mags did you have overseas in battle?", to which I responded "15".

He replied; "Where would you put 15 mags in a Tac Vest?"

"Indeed."

:cheers:

Those pictures are priceless, Pegs; it was fun seein' how much stuff you can cram in the Denali, especially with the higher-ups gazing at it too. If you get a chance, you should definately post a full review of this rig. The amount of features and load carriage is phenomenal!

For the past couple weeks we've been issued ten mags for Thursday night training... Reality has hit a few people like a brick in the face, and we've been told that standards in the field are going to be loosening up somewhat, by none other than the CO himself. Many of us have taken to jury rigging some rather atrociously ugly stuff at home to try out. It's a step in the right direction, anyway.

I wish a few of them would read the past couple of pages here...

I have heard from people on the last roto that they had 5 mags loaded and ammo on their person to reload 5 more.. any truth to this?

I am assuming it's 0306.. these were armoured recce guys.. there were a full troop of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back