• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

House Hunting Trip (HHT) Lore (merged)

stoker34

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am waiting for a phone call from the CAFRC as I re-enlist as a marine mechanic in Esquimalt, BC.  I left the Navy in 1995.  I want to know how the House hunting trip works when you re-enlist fully qualified.  I know when you start fro stcratch with BMQ, all these steps come together as you go but when you skip BMQ and QL3, when do you get to go with your family for the HHT??  Do they send me to Esquimalt first to start my posting and then fly my family a few weeks later to look for a place to stay or do I get to fly over there with my family for a week before I go to my posting??  My wife doesn't know anything about being a military wife and she is a bite concerned about the whole "moving away fast" kind of thing.  BTW, all the recruting process is done, I am on the merit list, expecting a call any day now.  They told me I would get the call within 2 weeks from now.

Thanks for your input!

Stoker34, montreal.

Best way to find out is to call the base and ask to speak to the Remax HHT reps.

I am just about finished my first TOS. I am realeasing and re-enlisting to P-RES. Regarding my entitlements, do you get a house hunting trip back to where you enlisted in the first place?

Addendum 3: Move to Intended Place of Residence on Release (IPR)

A3.07 Criteria Table

The following table depicts the IPR relocation benefits, based on period of continuous Regular Force service and appropriate release item.

Period of continuous service - Less than 10 years of continuous Regular Force service

Release Item -

2 – Unsatisfactory Service.
3 – Medical.
4(a) – On Request
4(b) – On Request Completion of Engagement; and
5 – Service Completed

IPR location - Move to place of enrolment or move to any location provided that the cost does not exceed the move to the place of enrolment.

Hey,

If you are authorized to have a 7 day HHT (5 days +2 days travel), and you complete it much quicker, I understand that you can put the money saved (food, incidentals, lodging) into your personal/ customized relocation fund.  I read though that this is capped at $250.  My question is, is this $250 per day or $250 total?

Thanks! 

-th

I've done this 5 times.........so heres my advice :

Take the full 7 days.

The 250 aint worth it.

I agree, if you're done the HHT, just have a little "vacation" instead.  Does this mean you found a house?

kincanucks said:
So you both are advocating that he commit fraud?

Nope. On all my HHTs i have found a place fairly quickly but , in my experience, theres always something else that should be done with your time there to smoothen the transition. Wether its the kid's school, wife's job, setting up utilities and such at the new location, etc,etc,etc........

Besides, as i have found out recently, changing your flights on such short notice costs more than the money DND would save.

tree hugger said:
Home inspection has gone hinky.  Gotta stay at least one more night....

......and thats why you stay the entire time.

I love it when i'm right.

kincanucks said:
So you both are advocating that he she commit fraud?

Nope, the bank/lawyer/inspection stuff usually takes at least a day or so, which means you pretty much have to put your offer in on the Wednesday of your HHT.  While you're waiting for the bank/lawyer/inspection stuff, if you have a cell phone, you can be having a "vacation" (hence the reason I put it in quotation marks).  ;D

Want to talk about fraud?  I would love to see all those people busted who fly home on HLTA but claim the mileage so they will get more money.  :mad: 
I used to only get about $167 back for a $600 flight from Ottawa to Fredericton.  :-\

In answering the original question, it is $250 total.  I took it last time only because we had made an offer on a house before we left and so the process was shortened significantly.

CDN Aviator said:
Nope. On all my HHTs i have found a place fairly quickly but , in my experience, theres always something else that should be done with your time there to smoothen the transition. Wether its the kid's school, wife's job, setting up utilities and such at the new location, etc,etc,etc........

Besides, as i have found out recently, changing your flights on such short notice costs more than the money DND would save.

ahh - but the HHT is not for this, it is only for finding living accm - once you have secured a place your HHT ends and you are suposed to return home. I secured my place the very last day of my HHT and headed home - right by the book.  >:D

I have a quick question i want answered. If you can not answer it Please don't post useless responces.

We only have 1 hour with IRPP cause the course messed up our student admin periods.

I am getting posted in a month and im curious. My plan is to move to the shacks right away and leave my F and E at there current location,then proceed to look for a house. Now when i get to my posting can i use my house hounding trip at anytime i submit a memo ? Also can i do my own move were the military will give me a lump sum move?

If anyone can answer these questions post up your answer if you can't hit the next topic button

Thanks.

1 hour is plenty of time for your IRP rep to answer your question.

I would never take any answer you get from army.ca as policies change. 

You would get a better response if you typed these questions in an email and fired them off to your IRP consultant, instead of posting them on army.ca and demanding an answer.

If you have time to post here, then you have time to send an email to IRP.

Back