• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How bad has airline travel become in North America?

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
jollyjacktar said:
I flew down to Nassau to meet my ship in Aug on AC.  The cheap bastards don't provide a meal on those international flights anymore.  Credit card only, no cash.  Things have changed since my last AC international in 07.  If I could I would only want to fly Emirates.  They have to date for me provided the best experience of all the airlines I have flown.  South African Airlines wasn't too bad either.  Would go with them again too.

They still provide a meal (and a free drink!) on international flights provided they are intercontinental.  Going to the US just isn't far enough.

My husband and I flew Edmonton to Istanbul and left from Lisbon to come back and we had meals and drinks the whole way...in steerage.

It was direct to the Bahamas.  Not long enough I guess, but they still had food service so it's long enough.

jollyjacktar said:
It was direct to the Bahamas.  Not long enough I guess, but they still had food service so it's long enough.

...but it's not intercontinental.

I have to say when possible my family and I fly porter now. Excellent prices, good service/meals. And they have the porter lounge in Ottawa that has free drinks,snacks,coffee etc and a relaxed atmosphere away from the gates outside.

I try to fly Westjet for my personal travel as they give up to four free bags, don't really see any other Canadian airline doing that! Most US airlines do it all the time.

The States and Westjet would be the last ones on earth doing it then, and recent third hand accounts from Westjet travel disagree with you...one checked bag only. Try getting extra bags aboard BMI, BA, and the like, and see what happens. Maybe if American Airlines were more concerned with baggage and weights, rather than making stupid commercials with Kevin Spacey, they'd be in better shape.

I've traveled enough now that one checked bag and one carry on is no issue for me.

jollyjacktar said:
I flew down to Nassau to meet my ship in Aug on AC.  The cheap bastards don't provide a meal on those international flights anymore.  Credit card only, no cash.  Things have changed since my last AC international in 07.  If I could I would only want to fly Emirates.  They have to date for me provided the best experience of all the airlines I have flown.  South African Airlines wasn't too bad either.  Would go with them again too.

I have to agree with you about Emirates, but last time I flew it was first class, with medic. But it was no fun because of the medic flying with me saying "No alcoholic drinks," when the stewardesses are walking around with freshly open champagne.

Scott said:
I've traveled enough now that one checked bag and one carry on is no issue for me.

The whole extra bags thing is a bit of a peeve of mine. I'm continually amazed at the amount of luggage some travelers have. I can go for two weeks with a standard duffel or suitcase. If I'm going on vacation, I'll pack light and get a couple of shirts etc at the destination. On the return, I'll sometimes mail my clothing back home as it's often cheaper than the extra baggage charges.

That being said, I still don't understand why one person needs six suitcases and three cardboard boxes to travel.

I have to agree with the other posters, Emirates is by far the best experience I've had traveling.

ModlrMike said:
The whole extra bags thing is a bit of a peeve of mine. I'm continually amazed at the amount of luggage some travelers have. I can go for two weeks with a standard duffel or suitcase. If I'm going on vacation, I'll pack light and get a couple of shirts etc at the destination. On the return, I'll sometimes mail my clothing back home as it's often cheaper than the extra baggage charges.

:nod:

Most of the problems with air travel today are not the airlines but the passengers.

Chief Stoker said:
I try to fly Westjet for my personal travel as they give up to four free bags, don't really see any other Canadian airline doing that! Most US airlines do it all the time.

Scott said:
The States and Westjet would be the last ones on earth doing it then, and recent third hand accounts from Westjet travel disagree with you...one checked bag only. Try getting extra bags aboard BMI, BA, and the like, and see what happens. Maybe if American Airlines were more concerned with baggage and weights, rather than making stupid commercials with Kevin Spacey, they'd be in better shape.

I think that might be something like US military personel (insert some stupid clause here) get 4 free bags .
(more for traveling to a posting and things along those lines I belive)

Scott said:

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=597

WestJet expands baggage waiver for military personnel

Airline waives baggage fees for armed forces travelling for any reason

CALGARY, Oct. 19, 2011 /CNW/ - Effective today, WestJet will waive all baggage fees for military personnel travelling for business or pleasure, in uniform or civilian clothing, anywhere WestJet flies. This expands on a commitment made by the airline in August to waive baggage fees for military personnel travelling in uniform for duty.

"Having successfully tested our ability to deliver on this change with our process we are pleased to complete the program by waiving baggage fees for all men and women who serve in our country's armed forces," said Bob Cummings, WestJet Executive Vice-President, Sales, Marketing and Guest Experience.

WestJet will waive all baggage fees for any military personnel, including those from other countries, upon presentation of military identification. This means that any military personnel may travel for business or pleasure, in uniform or civilian clothing, with a maximum of four checked bags at no additional charge. However, items that exceed maximum permitted size or weight will not be accepted as these items must still be shipped via cargo.

I flown on American and showed my Canadian military ID and my extra baggage fees were waived.

I applaud Westjet. You do realize that this still leaves the vast majority of the country paying for extra bags? (unless they are under a frequent flier program, of course) I don't know if BA, BMI and the like do it...but then again, I wasn't trying to speak about only military personnel as the thread is about air travel in general, or so I thought.

Travel to posting? I can get that. Coming home for leave (as was the case when I flew with a bunch of RCN boys from LHR)? Yep, got that too. Hell, I've lugged the kit, so anything involving duty and I am cool with that. But if you're going to Disneyland you don't need four bags. Christ, my wife made it to Scotland to spend Christmas with me and she had her purse, carry on roll thing and the suitcase  - she lived.

Scott said:
I applaud Westjet. You do realize that this still leaves the vast majority of the country paying for extra bags? (unless they are under a frequent flier program, of course) I don't know if BA, BMI and the like do it...but then again, I wasn't trying to speak about only military personnel as the thread is about air travel in general, or so I thought.

Travel to posting? I can get that. Coming home for leave (as was the case when I flew with a bunch of RCN boys from LHR)? Yep, got that too. Hell, I've lugged the kit, so anything involving duty and I am cool with that. But if you're going to Disneyland you don't need four bags. Christ, my wife made it to Scotland to spend Christmas with me and she had her purse, carry on roll thing and the suitcase  - she lived.

Just saying that I appreciate the fact Westjet is supporting the military and thus I will give them my business over AC or Porter who I despise with a passion.

Hey, I'm a hardcore WestJet fan. I have never flown with Porter and I have my issues with AC, having flown with them every three weeks for the last three years.

Since WestJet doesn't fly anywhere international except for sun spots we are all stuck with AC for international flights, for now.

Scott said:
Hey, I'm a hardcore WestJet fan. I have never flown with Porter and I have my issues with AC, having flown with them every three weeks for the last three years.

Since WestJet doesn't fly anywhere international except for sun spots we are all stuck with AC for international flights, for now.
\\

I know sigh..., I cringe when the clerks book me with AC.

Chief Stoker said:
\\

I know sigh..., I cringe when the clerks book me with AC.

Why?

I fly enough that, according to averages, I should see a few fuckups. I've experienced two in the last year and both times AC made up for it to my complete and total satisfaction.

The service sometimes annoys me...like why do I have to ask you to fall all over yourself to give me the rest of that can of soft drink? Are you paid a dividend for saving half tins of Sprite?

But, for the very most part, the problems I see while I am traveling are the fault of the travellers themselves. That is the constant overriding point here...to me, at least.

Scott said:
Why?

I fly enough that, according to averages, I should see a few fuckups. I've experienced two in the last year and both times AC made up for it to my complete and total satisfaction.

The service sometimes annoys me...like why do I have to ask you to fall all over yourself to give me the rest of that can of soft drink? Are you paid a dividend for saving half tins of Sprite?

But, for the very most part, the problems I see while I am traveling are the fault of the travellers themselves. That is the constant overriding point here...to me, at least.

Some of the stuff you mentioned like service, the soft drink and the prices when I have to pay. I guess I get annoyed easily I guess. ;D

Nah, I get it. Little things.

Then again, I just flew from LHR to YYZ on Friday and had an awesome steward - mickeys every time he passed my seat.

Scott said:
Nah, I get it. Little things.

Then again, I just flew from LHR to YYZ on Friday and had an awesome steward - mickeys every time he passed my seat.

He must of thought you were cute

Think I give a damn why? Free booze, no hassle.

Back