• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do I get rid of recruit issued gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drumbum1977

I have recently acquired gear from an old friend of mine who was briefly in the army reserves in the late 1990's.  It is a fully outfitted standard issue that includes many clothing and gear.  There are many things I don't even know what they are called.  Of the things I can recognize, included are: Helmut, sleeping bag, tent, liner, gloves, back pack, ammo belt? and more.  The clothing has 2 of everything including; boots, shirts, pants etc.
The question is how do I get rid of all this? What is a recruit gear issued worth?  I am in Winnipeg, and I know that the Army Surplus Store doesn't buy from the public.
Any advice?
Thanks!

Ammo Belt?  With Ammo on it..  Either its fake.. or you're
in a nice world of hurt.

As for the kit, my offical answer is turn it back into the army.

Now, sure I know how to sell it and whats its worth, but i'm not allowed
to tell you such things.

But if you have live ammo, your in violation of a few rules like
properly storing ammunition.  And your friend would be in
violation as well of different ones.

Also, he might still owe the military all that kit...

NO LIVE AMMO.  Sorry, I do not know the term for the belt.  It has holes all around it and it  like it holds a cantine and have some sort a pouch.
He said he is not responsible for the kit anymore, so didn't want to just hand it back in. 

Whats the helmet look like is it the current stardard issue ( would it be remember early '90's)?

drumbum1977 said:
I have recently acquired gear from an old friend of mine who was briefly in the army reserves in the late 1990's.
Late 1990s... Read the post fully. Its likely the current kevlar helmet

I'd say turn it in - it probably belongs somewhere.

drumbum1977 said:
He said he is not responsible for the kit anymore, so didn't want to just hand it back in.    

This sounds highly suspicious.  It isn't HIS kit, its the Army's regardless of whether he feels responsible for it or not.  It should have been turned in when he left.  My guess is (and it is only a guess) that we have a PRes member who has gone NES and cannot be bothered turning his equipment in.  At one time, these types used to be served with court documents...

There is a reason most reputable surplus stores won't buy from the public... hint, hint.

TR

Infanteer said:
I'd say turn it in - it probably belongs somewhere.

DITTO

Your buddy signed for it - selling it is a criminal offence!

The kit belongs to the army, and therefore must be returned to the army. Selling issued kit is illegal, and you would be well advised to bear that in mind before asking about stuff like this on a public forum.

Topic locked.

drumbum1977,

Your friend probably ignored the registered letters that would have been sent to his last known address if he was released as Non Effective Strength. Those letters would have advised him, among other things, that he will be held financially liable for the value of that kit. This is a debt that will not disappear. There is lkely already a collection agency looking for him and the money.

drumbum1977,

Easiest solution:

Drive to CFB Winnipeg (I believe it is on Whytewold) and drop it off with the Military Police at the front gate.  They will take care of it from there.

A touch harder is find out which unit he belonged to and drop it off at Minto Armouries (Main Lodger Units - Royal Winnipeg Rifles, Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, 17 Service Battalion) or MacGregor Armouries (Fort Garry Horse).

Even more difficult is phone CFB Winnipeg, ask for the operator, ask for clothing stores and ask them what to do with it.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back