• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do you prepare for an exercise?

ARMY_101

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing the different ways that you and your unit(s) prepare for an exercise :camo:

Whether you're Reg or Reserve and whatever your position, what sorts of things do you do to prepare yourself and your kit for an exercise?  Are there certain foods you'll begin to load up on or avoid?  Do you have a routine to build yourself up into the exericse?

Please share :)

Stretching before an exercise is very very important.........

Seriously though, in the early part of your career your best going off what your told to bring or not bring.  The best teacher is experience and once you get in your head that you should of brought this or not have that you will not make that mistake again.  However bear in mind what got you through one Ex will not get you through another one.  A couple of thoughts
-It is always better to have and not need then need and not have.
-Mission essential kit is not an option
-untill you gain experience you do not have the ability to arbitrarily decide what you should and should not have.  That is what kit lists are for.  Dont have one then ask your CoC

I could go on how you and your unit should prepare for an Ex but lets just say I am not in your shoes nor are you working for me. So I will keep those comments to myself for now.

If you have to be awake, and you're not actually doing anything, you might as well be eating.

Buy one or two of those massive 400g chocolate bars from Wal Mart. 

Get Hexy tabs from CQ.  Make sure you have a hexy stove and canteen cup.  Bring teabags and sugar packets in a zip-lock bag.  If you have to be awake, you might as well brew up.  Try to scrounge one of those square rubber 2 quart canteens, and a C9 bandoleer to carry it in if you haven't got the space in your Tac Vest.

This is all assuming, of course, that you're in a light infantry unit.  If you have a vehicle, bring more food.  Biscuits and jam, etc.  If you have AC power (that is to say, if you're in a Signals unit), somebody bloody well ought to have a decent electric kettle to brew up and cook rations with.

If you're toting the C9, buy a few tins of Brunswick kippers to put in your mag pouches (make sure you know what you're going to do with your garbage, though; they're smelly, oily, messy buggers). 

Don't forget your KFS and thermos.

Granted, depending on the ex, you might not find the time to snack between meals, but I stand by my advice regarding the hexy tabs and tea.  I vow never again to be without them, especially in any sort of defensive position.

Back