• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How does one be accepted to be a tank crewman.

1911CoLt45

Inactive
Reaction score
This question comes from a wannabe CF member.  I didn't  get into Reserve Unit due to the freeze, so I will be waiting around some time to become an infanteer.  I was wondering though how, if one does become a armoured solider, who is selected to be a crewman of LAV's apposed to tanks (Leopards).

Luck of the draw and needs of the Service. If you are Recruited as a Crewman, once you get to the school, things will be decided for you, based on the above criteria. You may get asked what you want to do, but don't put a lot of faith in that.

1911CoLt45 said:
This question comes from a wannabe CF member.  I didn't  get into Reserve Unit due to the freeze, so I will be waiting around some time to become an infanteer.  I was wondering though how, if one does become a armoured solider, who is selected to be a crewman of LAV's apposed to tanks (Leopards).

If you join as an Armoured Crewman you would be trained on two stations in the Coyote during your DP 1 training (driver and surveillance operator). Some soldiers get trained on other vehicles as drivers if their Regiment has requested it (note that I said Regiment and not individual - you are not offered a menu). The Coyote is quite similar to a LAV. It is different, however, being in an Armoured AFV crew than in an Infantry AFV crew. These differences might not be apparent to outsiders, but they exist nonetheless. Once a crewman has got to his Regiment and been assigned to a Squadron he will be a member of a crew within a Troop. After a while he may be given the chance to take a gunnery course (Turret Operator's Course).

In the fairly near future each Regiment should each have a mix of tank and recce sqns. The majority of crews would be on recce vehicles. Just what that recce vehicle will be in five years is anybody's guess. If the Regiments run like they did seven years ago when they had mixed fleets there would be some movement of soldiers between squadrons, usually to balance operational deployments for soldiers.

Best of luck.

T2B

Good stuff

Can anyone comment on what is their  favorite armoured vehicle and why?  I know each vehicle has its own purpose but maybe someone with some experience can comment on the wide array that the CF has to offer in the armoured  trade.

1911CoLt45 said:
Good stuff

Can anyone comment on what is their  favorite armoured vehicle and why?  I know each vehicle has its own purpose but maybe someone with some experience can comment on the wide array that the CF has to offer in the armoured  trade.

What really matters is your survival rate will increase if you go overseas in a leopard vs. Coyote.  Tanks go boom while coyotes go bang. The Corps has a lot to offer, check out the DND website and click on the armoured trade.

Back