• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to get family on board

Can't take a joke, can you.

Actually I can, this was the joke part: 

Maybe they got tired of their sons turning into homosexual child molesters?

Yes it was a different social norm, but so is your "come back with your shield or on it" thing, both of which are no longer prevailent(it seems) in modern society. Moral relativisim! Get it?

:D :D :D :D

I was merely correcting your claim that pederastry was only practiced in Athens, which is inaccurate.

Britney Spears said:
I was merely correcting your claim that pederastry was only practiced in Athens, which is inaccurate.

That was the joke - hence the wink   ;).

On topic, kids or I will have to give you two your own homosexuality thread....... :-*

Amber,

My mom was just as displeased as yours by the sound of things. Difference was that she had previously become aware that she didn't get much of a say, in what I chose to do. I gave the long spiel with all the information, print-outs, and reasons why joining the reserve was a good idea... Eventually she came around to the idea of me wearing the uniform. She still had/has a problem with the trade I chose ::). I more or less ended the discussion on that by informing her that I would never have to go over-seas. What I did not tell her, though is that I planned/plan on going on tour as soon as I could/can possibly get on one. It's not lying...It's just expedient.

I am not sure where I am going with this, I guess what I am trying to say is that rents won't always understand or like the choices you make, but hey, it's not their life.

Wow, am I the only one in history who's parents were happy as proverbial clams when I took the plunge?

...and this wasn't at 27, this was at 17. [ turned 18 in week 6 of basic :crybaby:]

No, you're not the only one, Bruce.  I got a "good on yer, mate" from my Dad, and a "keep yer chin up" from my Mum...and I was 17 too.

Kat

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Wow, am I the only one in history who's parents were happy as proverbial clams when I took the plunge?

...and this wasn't at 27, this was at 17. [ turned 18 in week 6 of basic :crybaby:]
Nope - mine, or at least my dad (never was all that sure about mom), was smiling all the way to the bank when I was sworn in at 17.  All that cash he'd stashed away to support my university education became mad money.  Mind you, by then he'd had 20 years in the service and his dad had retired after 30 years in the service a mere 10 years earlier.  I've always had the nagging suspicion that they would have been disappointed if I hadn't joined up.

My dad thought it was a good idea...make me more independent, responsible ;D, mature ;D ;D and whatnot, as well as paying for my education. My mom has this thing against guns/dangerous things/fun though.

Mine were GROTESQUELY dissapointed I didn't go into the airforce (like both of them, all my aunts and uncles, etc.). But were very happy with my direction. Mo-litia at 15 1/2 (yes I lied..), then regs at 17. In retrospect - a fine decision!

Pte. Gaisford said:
My dad thought it was a good idea...make me more independent, responsible ;D, mature ;D ;D and whatnot, as well as paying for my education. My mom has this thing against guns/dangerous things/fun though.

that's almost word-for-word how my parents saw me applying to join the infantry reserve :p
my mom doesn't consider the CF do be a "real job"

Check your mirror. Who do you see staring back at you? Please him and to hell with the rest.

I never really had this problem when I went in to join up, my father has done almost 28 years in the Navy and is headed overseas this summer.

I joined at 17 too, my mom took a bit of convincing and the recruiters had to assure her that I wouldn't be on the next plane to Iraq the minute I signed on the dotted line, and my dad took a bit of convincing that this is the Canadian army, and they wouldn't feed me slop and clobber me over the head like when he was in the Polish army.  ;D

My Mom had lost a favourite cousin in WW2.  My step - father was a medic in 2 Fd Amb  supporting first Canadian Armoured Brigade from Sicily to Apeldoorn, and was not overly pleased with my decision to go Armour, I suspect.  But, both stood by my decision, and gave me great support in all I did.

I got alot of 'shaiza' from my 'rents when I told 'em I wanted to join the reserves.
Dad predicted me dropping out of high school and shipping off to Iraq,
Mom however was more leniant. They came to accept the fact that
I wanted to eventually become an officer. BTW I'm 17 ;) Took alot of grease &
patience getting them to settle down & sign my consent forms but hey, it worked out
in the end.

i remember when i told my dad that i was joining...  He though i was a wingnut...  My mother said "i though you would join as an officer....

Do what you want and try to get posted away from them persons who are trying to control you....

You can have a great time in the army, that's for sure!!!!!!!

Back when I signed up in Regina, my Dad thought it was a great idea (carrying on the family tradition) to enlist, and he fully supported it, but my Mum was more hestitant, I reckon as most mothers would be. I did need consent as I was underage at the time.

Either way Amber, its your life not your parents, and whatever you choose to do, they should support you. Its not that you are joining some type of twisted brethern, but coming into a career which offers relitively good secuirty, a lengthy term of service, a good pension, and a host of oppertunity for advancement and learning, plus travel overseas and sseing Canada from end to end, which I thnk can only broaden one's horizons. It's not as if you are out there baby burning and war mongering. There are many avenues to choose when joining, and I wish you nothing but good fortune in what ever endeavour you chose.

Your parents should have a more open mind, and encourage and give nothing but positive re-inforcement for their kids (no matter if you are 17, 27 or 45 for that matter, as you'll always be your parents child).

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

Regards,

Wes

My dad had the same sort of attitude that your parents have but once I educated him more about it, he has since started to get excited for me and he is behind me now which is important...I'm 25 myself and just got into the reserves for Artillery...I'm also considering a position as an MP in the reg force if I like it...Good luck and just talk to them about it and let them know how important it is to you and the benefits you will gain from being a member....

tell them you want to be the first kid on your block to get a confirmed kill

Back