• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to Pack Sleeping Bags

So, you got your opinion about the men in the army shaving from where?  I believe several people in this thread have already shown that not shaving everyday on EX is not a safety issue, nor does it hinder their performance making them any less professional.

Are you asking me where I got my opinion from or is the question directed towards someone else?

I'm just checking.

I was asking you.  I'm just curious since you are neither male or in the army what you are basing your opinion on?

Sorry for taking so long to reply back. I was at the Er.

Now to answer your question, I base my opinion on what serving male members have told me.
My husband serves with the Navy, my soon to be brother in law is in the army, and the views of my multiple CF friends.

bingo - "wet naps  -- other uses"  ever try to wipe your bottom with a hand full of cold cream?  maybe in the bedroom, but not in the field  haha oh boy am I gonna catch flak for that comment.

Well being a red head I can go a few days with out a beard being too noticable...

Shaving on Field Ex's well no biggie in my opinion, besides its a field ex....  it's supposed to be uncomfortable and a pain in the rear.
in a war zone, more important things to focus on at that point reality takes over.

Old flashback story....
while in the USMC we did some hostage rescue ops, to make things more interesting the powers to be decided to drop some woman Marines in civilian clothes from mainside to make it a bit more realistic.....  We'd been in the field for over 60 some days without showers (or much hot food) or even much time to take care of those beautiy treatments.... All that have lived out of a ruck for long can explain to those that haven't the rather noxious smell one accumulate after that long..... 

Imigine the Woman Marines reaction to us....  The WM's smelled all perdy being the last time they saw a bar of soap was earlyier that morning....
Well the ones of us who still had a sense of smell...

Imigine now the looks on these WM's faces when we herded them into the back of an AAV-7 for a "short trip to the waiting ships off shore"
35 people shoved into that Amtrack.... hatches closed....  mix of dirty smelly field Marines and some once clean smelling Woman Marines....

One WM asked us while holding her nose....  "when was the last time you guys took a shower?"
that got everyone laughing pretty hard.... after the laugher died down, a Marine looked down at his watch and clamly said "lets see it's almost 1400 hours now.... one, two... 6  WEEKS ago Ma'am"

She turned a little green after that....

we where in the back of that Amtrack for over 3 hours before reaching the ships off shore....  I think a ferw of those women held thier breath the whole time....

Ran into one of them a few weeks later at the PX, she said she had to thow her clothes out cause she couldn't get the smell out of them.... 

Shaving is a saftey concern?

We're not talking about that whole gas mask thing are we? 
If anything shaving every day gives troops a rash. Get bad enough and you need to sendthem up top to see a medic. I know when i have to shave every day in the field my face is destroyed.

Why can't we be adults about it. Troops shave every couple days in the field. Even ever second day saves my face from a hell of a razor burn.
Theres a difference between in the field at a CP or living out of tents and in the field living out of your ruck sack

I agree with shaving at night before going to ground. It not only cleans of the cam paint and dirt from the day, but it is part of a personal hygine routine. If shaving is not enforced then there are going to be people that crap out on the hygine. 

McNutt

No one will "crap out on the hygine".  Once a guy goes a few days and the rest of his section ID's him as a dirty billy or a Scuz bag, he will start cleaning himself a bit better.  I only once encountered a guy that was a filth monster, in Meaford in 97, a guy showered three times on a 6 week course, and only at 3 in the morning, he was really homophobic, and I guess he figured that a bunch of guys would jump his fat arse if they saw him naked.  He didn't go so far in his army career as he had a tendency to store his water and gatorade bottles in the pouches of the ruck carried by the man in front of him on ruck marches.  A guy with a devil tattoed on his arm put him in his placeand then some when he took his ruck off and found a bunch of empty bottles and got an excuse of "well, you are used to marching so I figured you wouldn't care."  Three hits were heard, a fist to a face, a body to the ground, and the "safety vehicle" hitting the speed limit on the way to the MIR.

Bomber said:
a guy showered three times on a 6 week course

There are a few of them out there, and regular shaving in the field reinforces the need to keep one clean.

McNutt

I just received my army kit for IAP this summer and I want to pack up my stuff as best I can before I ship it to Quebec.

Can someone please tell me what the BEST way is to get the sleeping bag and liner in the bag for them. It probably sounds like a stupid question but I hope someone can help.

If you want to pack it to use it on your training, you can attach the liner to the inside of the sleeping bags, then lay the bag out, fold it in half width-wise (so it's long and skinny) then roll it up and tuck it into your bivvy bag. stuff your ground sheet, sleeping bag headwarmer thing, and bivvy bag into the sleeping bag carrier, stick the washbasin on top and you're good to go.

If you just want to pack it for travel, get a sleeping bag compressor from an outdoor shop, compress the sleeping bag down to the size of a bag of chips and laugh your way to the shipping company.

Do not fold or roll your sleeping bag as all of the down filling will bunch up and make for an uncomfortable sleep. Stuff your sleeping bag into the valise.  Try to pack it in the reverse to which you may require it.

1. Sleeping bag(s)
2. Liner
3. Shelter half
Last -  Washbasin

And he really means STUFF! The valise is a compression sack (well, it's supposed to be a compression sack). Anyway, Gunner is completely correct, those bags are meant to be crammed in there. If the valise is (fairly) new, it may be one of the water-proof ones...don't trust it. Line your valise with the bivvy bag (as long as there are no holes in it) and stuff your bags in to that. stuff stuff stuff it all down, squeeze the air out, fold the funny shaped lip of the bivy bag over itself, groundsheet, wash basin.

If there is enough room for a pillow (no, I am not kidding. I take a pillow everywhere. Not a gargantuan one or anything, just right for my little noggin) in with your sleeping bags, then you've done it right.

It isn't what you asked, but.....pack heavy kit high. I'll try that again -- heavy kit high. While I may be thinking radio batteries and 84 rounds, you may be thinking granola bars. Right now, it's the same (in time, there'll be a WO to grip your kit load). Heavy high.

As for the proper pillow or care-bear fleece, I'll leave that to the experts.

Any tips on the best way to pack your boots? We're supposed to pack our boots in our ruck fo the next field ex.

Whats the best way? Fold it over and put it in the bottom, or leave it in the flap outside the actual ruck?

Also whats the best way to pack fleece? It takes up so much room!

How about this for an idea?

Ask your freakin' section commander!

Your profile says you're on BMQ.  If I were your BMQ section commander, and I found out that you were taking advice from the internet rather than coming and asking me, it would not be a good day for you.

Back