• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to Pack Sleeping Bags

willy said:
How about this for an idea?

Ask your freakin' section commander!

Your profile says you're on BMQ.  If I were your BMQ section commander, and I found out that you were taking advice from the internet rather than coming and asking me, it would not be a good day for you.

Im not taking advice, Im looking for any tips or experiences other people may have. Isn't that what this forum is about? I want to hear other people's opinions on their methods of packing their boots.

willy said:
Have fun in the army, kid.

Thank you, I will have fun. Now back to the topic at hand. What is people's experience with packing spare boots in the ruck. I'm toying with the idea of packing it in my valise. Has anyone tried that?

I packed it in last night and I was amazed at how much could get in the bag. I was wondering you normally use both liners when you setup camp?

My experience over my career has been entirely navy and I have zero knowledge about how to set it up when it comes to the field. Any tips or advise on that? I know that there are a bivy bag, a sleeping bag, a liner and then another thinner liner. I assume that one liner is for winter and one is for summer, or is that a wrong assumption?

Thanks for the help on this, you guys are great.

Army-Goon said:
Also whats the best way to pack fleece? It takes up so much room!

Go buy some LARGE Zip-Loc bags, the double zipper ones.  Fold your fleece top and stuff it in the bag, press all the air out with your knees and then seal.  It will tighten up just like a vacuum sealed bag and be MUCH smaller.

The pants are too large to fit in the large zip locs though with a little effort they might fit, never bothered to try.

Army-Goon said:
Im not taking advice, Im looking for any tips or experiences other people may have. Isn't that what this forum is about? I want to hear other people's opinions on their methods of packing their boots.

Tie the laces off the valise attachment straps and let them hang low.

Unless it is the dead of winter...which it is not anymore, then the second (inner) part of yur sleeping bag, and you fleece pants are somewhat redundant. If you have any choice at all, leave them at home. Keep your outer and your ranger blanket(or liner).

Boots- bottom of valise, inside a plastic bag (small garbage bag). Most people do not pack spare boots in thier rucks(lots of fresh socks and/or goretex socks). Boots usually follow in a kit bag with your follow on gear.

A smart thing to do as well, is put a fresh pr of socks and tshirt (underwear too if you so choose) so that before you sleep you can change into the dry warm stuff instead of digging thru your ruck to get it. Science has proved those with warm feet sleep better. Shaving kit, if not on the top of your valise, should be in the top pocket of your ruck.

There are so many little personal tips that work well for alot of people. Try them all twice to see if they are right for you.

lol  ::) best way to pack? Really depends on what the packing list your CO wants to put out. If it is anything like the US army then it will drive you up the wall espically after you pac everything and they decide because there is some moron you need to lay your sh*t out with his because now all of you may be morons.  My advice is take what you use least for the duffle bags then move to your ruck, stuff least important at the bottom.  Boots are easy to fold after being broken in, stuffing your sleeping bag along with liner and cover. I find sometimes sticking my sleeping system on the outside is alot easier, just use some clips and lock it on the back.  I find sleeping mate on the bottom is better then on top because you never know when you have to get in your bag.  In my ruck I place half my sleep system, one uniform complete, 6 pairs socks, 3 t shirts and wet wipes.  Good luck

i just got out of two months of feild ex and to answer you immediate question, sort them out at the very top of your ruck, when you stuff them in the bottow or middle you end up loosing alot of space, and in a pinch on at the top and one in the middle with your shirts and socks around them. For me though, i only packed 6 pairs of sox, one t, one extra combat pants and my boots along with my hygeine kit, if it was colf fleece, and not to forget an extra pair of undies. this will give you a light packand room to pack extras if you need. If you are going on patrol you will love the extra space for food, water and ammo.

How about this for an idea?

Ask your freakin' section commander!

Your profile says you're on BMQ.  If I were your BMQ section commander, and I found out that you were taking advice from the internet rather than coming and asking me, it would not be a good day for you.

Old message I know.

Wat happens when you are his BMQ section commander and your a navy clerk or member of the band?

With all respect, I'd rather risk asking infanteers on the internet at a place like army.ca with 20 years time in.

Without reading his mind, he may be refering to following the standard set in BMQ (we all know about being a garatrooper).  Once in BN then seek advice.

Journeyman said:
It isn't what you asked, but.....pack heavy kit high. I'll try that again -- heavy kit high. While I may be thinking radio batteries and 84 rounds, you may be thinking granola bars. Right now, it's the same (in time, there'll be a WO to grip your kit load). Heavy high.

??? Wouldent you want heavy kit low so that the weight isint puling you backwards and straining your back?

And did you guys know the new jackets turn into themselves and become a pillow... thats kinda cool, i personally don't bother, most of the time Im just happy to sleep.

geo said:
the good section commanders do

And the good Platoon Warrants, Sgt Majors and RSMs make sure that "they" are good section commanders who know what they're supposed to be teaching young troopies or should be.

Here endeth the lesson.

Locked with the usual caveats etc in reagard to reopening it.

I've tried searching for the specific topic of whether you roll your sleeping bag or just stuff it into the carrier.
I've tried to find the 82 pattern ruck manual, but no information about how to pack the sleeping bag carrier.

My question is:
I have an 82 pattern rucksack and sleeping bag carrier.
While on course we were given "instruction" on how to pack the ruck sack.  Unfortunately it was fast and furious and just involved stuffing everything into the pack. 
As a result I asked a few people I work with how to pack the sleeping bag (Infantry reserve members, a former recruit instructor, course section 2IC and my dad with 40+ years in).

Dad and recruit instructor tells me to roll it and put it into the carrier.
Others tell me to just jam it in and squish it down.

When stuffing the carrier with the bag, it feels like a sloppy wet diaper on the bottom of the ruck even when squishing it down.  The draw strings on the carrier where the D rings are basically compressing down to nothing leaving a great horde of string to tuck away.
When rolling the bag and placing into the carrier, it's a lot easier to secure the straps and cinch it tight.  But again, D rings are compressed to nothing.

???

Is this really a personal preference thing?
Any help to relieve the confusion would be appreciated.

MRC3065 said:
I've tried searching for the specific topic of whether you roll your sleeping bag or just stuff it into the carrier.
I've tried to find the 82 pattern ruck manual, but no information about how to pack the sleeping bag carrier.

My question is:
I have an 82 pattern rucksack and sleeping bag carrier.
While on course we were given "instruction" on how to pack the ruck sack.  Unfortunately it was fast and furious and just involved stuffing everything into the pack. 
As a result I asked a few people I work with how to pack the sleeping bag (Infantry reserve members, a former recruit instructor, course section 2IC and my dad with 40+ years in).

Dad and recruit instructor tells me to roll it and put it into the carrier.
Others tell me to just jam it in and squish it down.

When stuffing the carrier with the bag, it feels like a sloppy wet diaper on the bottom of the ruck even when squishing it down.  The draw strings on the carrier where the D rings are basically compressing down to nothing leaving a great horde of string to tuck away.
When rolling the bag and placing into the carrier, it's a lot easier to secure the straps and cinch it tight.  But again, D rings are compressed to nothing.

???

Any help to relieve the confusion would be appreciated.

Seriously?

MRC3065 said:

Yes it is.

When it is dark and you have to have all your kit packed up and placed on a truck/LAV/tank/your back......You will do what you can, as fast as you can, the best way possible.  Your personal preference.

For whatever it is worth, when I was an officer cadet and we were being prepped for our final Phase One exercise in Shilo in December 1960, we were told to stuff our sleeping bags into the carriers. This was because it fluffed the filling (down in those days and not synthetic) and a bag would stay warm (?) longer.

Anyone else impressed that not only do we apparently have nine pages discussing sleeping bags, but a third of them are about how to pack it.  8)

Back