• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I am going to college or university,what major 's so demened in the force?

Hogie said:
A diploma can and will get you benefits upon enrolment depending on the trade and the diploma.  In a recent case I was involved in, it got a young man provisional QL5/Cpl with backpay upon graduation from BMQ/fat signing bonus due to his particular diploma/trade.  Certainly made a difference to him!!

Really?  Ever try reading a thread before posting?

dapaterson said:
It's important to understand this split hair - especially if marched in sans headdress  (a summary trial / court martial, if reducing a MCpl in rank, reduces them to Pte, not Cpl). 

Yup seen that, and the individual concerned was really really surprised to say the least.

Just to stir the pot a little more you can enrol as an Officer in the CF WIThOUT a degree.

Standing by for fall of shot. Go!!

It's not always a bad idea to start in college. Most colleges have transfer agreements in place with universities that will allow you to transfer some of your credits upon graduation, thus allowing you to complete a degree faster. For example, you can do the bridging program at UOIT and earn a commerce degree in only 2.5 years. Many universities offer part time/online programs that you can complete while serving.

Most transfer agreements are not a bad deal financially, since tuition in college is often 50% cheaper than in university.

mariomike said:
Just a shot in the dark from me, FDO.
There's no mention of a degree requirement:
http://www.forces.ca/html/marinesystemsengineeringofficer_reg_en.aspx

"You will be enrolled at the rank of Naval Cadet (NCdt). On completion of a degree and Basic Officer Training, you will be commissioned as an Acting Sub-Lieutenant (ASLt)."

FDO said:
Just to stir the pot a little more you can enrol as an Officer in the CF WIThOUT a degree.

Naval Reserves, I believe.........possibly other elements?

FDO said:

I'll take CEOTP for four hundred, Alex?

Actually it's Reg Force. You enrol as an OCdt and are promoted as you would be if you had a degree. Look up CEOTP. Continueing Education Officer Training Plan. The requirment is that you complete your degree on your own time before your VIE is complete. You'd be surprised how many officer occupations this applies to.

I would hardly compare people who wish to become Officers after having spent their time as NCMs until they reached the requisite rank to those who want to enrol as officers off the bat with no recognizable qualifications beforehand.

gcclarke said:
I would hardly compare people who wish to become Officers after having spent their time as NCMs until they reached the requisite rank to those who want to enrol as officers off the bat with no recognizable qualifications beforehand.

I wasn't. I was simply trying to point out that there is more then one road to becoming an Officer should one choose to pursue that route.

Petamocto said:
Are you seriously stating that in an average unit that a soldier with a diploma is going to advance years ahead of his peers?

Points are awarded on NCM merit boards for education - and so, yes, ceteris parabus, they will advance faster.

I am a Capt with 10 years in (5 years at RMC) and I make 6800$ a month base salary.  You'd have to be a MWO with Spec Pay 2 or a CWO without spec pay to make as much as I do.  If you think you can make MWO.CWO within 10 years (some DEOs make what I do in 4 years), then going the NCM route will be financially beneficial.  Otherwise, if money is a factor for you, going the Officer route will provide you with more money in the long run.

I can almost guarantee that you will not make MWO in 10 years no mater how checked out you are, and most certainly not CWO.

dangerboy said:
I can almost guarantee that you will not make MWO in 10 years no mater how checked out you are, and most certainly not CWO unless you are a LCIS Tech.

Had to add that, as I recalled a C & E branch brief I attended where the LCIS Tech Career Mangler was asked  "what are the requirements to make Sgt, has it changed any?" and he replied with...

"do ya got a pulse?"

;D

PPCLI Guy said:
Points are awarded on NCM merit boards for education - and so, yes, ceteris parabus, they will advance faster.

Ack Sir but you're talking way up in the ranks (~WO), and even then I would challenge that there are other factors that come into play far more than whether or not someone has a degree.

Granted I have not sat on merit boards for future RSMs, but even at the MWO level (and I have just asked several here at work) how many MWOs they knew who had a formal degree in the Infantry, a common answer was 10% max.

I am not challenging what you are saying that technically an NCM gets points for it, but if they are being groomed for a certain rank/position, there are just too many other things that will help them before that (personality, fitness, topping courses, tour performance, etc).

Petamocto said:
Ack  but you're talking way up in the ranks (~WO), and even then I would challenge that there are other factors that come into play far more than whether or not someone has a degree.

I have been fortunate enough to sit on a few central merit boards.  Points for education apply on all NCM boards from Cpl to CWO.  Assuming that two members have equal performance and potential (which is quite often the case at the top end of the merit list), then the points for community college will end up be the deciding factor.  OPMEs are often a deciding factor as well....

PPCLI Guy said:
I have been fortunate enough to sit on a few central merit boards.  Points for education apply on all NCM boards from Cpl to CWO.  Assuming that two members have equal performance and potential (which is quite often the case at the top end of the merit list), then the points for community college will end up be the deciding factor.  OPMEs are often a deciding factor as well....

When this is the case, are those all lumped into the "Professional Development" points that always seem to be in the Career Manager's briefs?

Back