• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I don't care what your beliefs are...

Have the Kingston Police released any statements regarding the letters?

ObedientiaZelum said:
Is this letter any different than the millions of hateful posts by people who use youtube, facebook and other online media websites?

This letter is doing exactly what the writers intended, to get circulation and piss people off.  It's no different than those stupid "Hit like if you agree!" pictures people post on facebook that get thousands of comments.

The best reaction to this would have been to crumple it up and put it in the garbage.

I guess what would be different is that the police can actually do something about a letter. Our Internet laws are pretty much non-existant. Sending a letter to someone is much more personal, you have to at least know where they live - unless they emailed it. From my own experience with having someone seriously threaten me online, the police are powerless to do anything about it, so in one sense they are lucky that it was sent via letter. If they felt threatened enough to report it to police that is their right and they should do so.

Either way I agree that the whole situation is just stupid and pathetic. This sort of thing shouldn't even happen and these people would really benefit from some Feng Shui or Koombaya. I also agree it belongs in the garbage..er, recycling!

This thread needs a rest folks. Here's a novel idea. Why don't we wait until the police finish their investigation before everyone here goes off into their own personal rants speculating about something that no one really knows anything about?

At least, hopefully, we'll find out what is really going on and people can post, with some knowledge and certainty about the subject.

s2184 said:
Have the Kingston Police released any statements regarding the letters?

From their FB page:

Regarding the hate-based and homophobic letters people are showing concern about online, we are confirming a report has been filed with Kingston Police and detectives from the Major Crime Unit are actively investigating this serious and disturbing incident. We absolutely and unequivocally are not involved or connected to this individual or group as is stated in one of the letters, and do not appreciate the association.

However, of greater priority is solving this case, caring for the safety and well-being of the complainants, determining who would write such hateful and threatening content, and for what purpose.

Anyone with first-hand information, or if you've received the same or similar letters, is asked to contact Detective Chris Gobeil at cgobeil@kpf.ca or at 613-549-4660 ext 6186.

Same-sex couple won't be chased from Kingston, Ont.
Community support for women 'a symphony of love' after threatening letters
CBC News
Last Updated: Jul 22, 2013 9:42 PM ET

A lesbian couple in Kingston say a card of support received on Monday more than compensates for some threatening letters they got last week.

"It's like a symphony of love here, it's crazy," said Susan Belyea, after two rallies were held over the weekend to show support for her and her partner Karen Dubinsky.

That’s not how Belyea and Dubinsky, a same-sex couple who have lived in Kingston, Ont., for almost 20 years, were feeling last week when they received threatening letters.

"I'm suspicious now, and I don't like that,” Belyea said.

"I don't like being suspicious of every car that slows in front of the house, or people walking by."

The anonymous letters carried messages such as, "We will watch and wait, and then strike, at home and office, as need arises," read one of the anonymous notes, suggesting they had BB guns. "These are not empty threats. MOVE, or else!"

Belyea and Dubinsky posted the letters on social media and went to the police.

Continued at link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/07/22/ottawa-kingston-lesbain-couple-threatening-letters-homophobia.html

Back