• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I GOT A CALL FOR the NOAB" Threads

and the NOAB 08/02 is over.  Had a blast there.  See all of you who doing the BMOQ in late August/early September in St. Jean.

Well done to those who attended recent NAOB and will be attending next BMOQ which, I just saw will be in August/September.  Is anyone aware, if there will be another NAOB prior to August/September BMOQ.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh man...I can't believe I hadn't found this forum with all of my previous searches! I was there last week too (it was awesome  ;D ) and am hoping to get loaded for August as well - I imagine we all are  ;) Whooohoooo.

Good luck...keep in touch.

I attended the 2nd NOAB of 2009 (officially called NOAB 0902) two weeks ago and let me tell you it was a BLAST!

The last NOAB experience was posted in 2006 (http://www.excelcia.org/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=53) , and although mine was not radically different, I know that getting an updated version is always useful – and I am here to help all my fellow recruits.
I will post my experience first, followed by my observations and advice to potential Naval Officer recruits.

Day 0 – Sunday – Flight In
My flight was early in the morning from Toronto direct to Victoria. It’s a long flight, but the scenery is stunning. Do not miss it, and yes you can take pictures from the aircraft. I was met at the airport by a CPO1. From there we took the shuttle to the Wardroom at CFB Esquimalt. The ride is scenic and the driver was kind enough to be our tour guide. Wardroom is a fairly recently built building, and it shows. The rooms are spacious, spotlessly clean, and well equipped with iron and ironing board, a TV, a stereo, a desk, and an empty bar fridge (alcohol is prohibited in the rooms). The scenery from nearly any room in Wardroom is gorgeous, with a view of Port Angeles (WA) and of the Olympic Mountains in the distance. I never will forget that view and yearn to see it again.

Day 1 – Monday – Death by PowerPoint
The “death by PowerPoint” description was accurate though a bit misleading for this day. A variety of different PowerPoint presentations were delivered by the conducting staff. These included presentations on the CFLRS (the school at St. Jean), the two Naval Engineering Officer trades (MSE and NCSE), the MARS officer trade, and one on the MFRC (Military Family Resource Centre). Most of these presentations were extremely helpful and gave all of us a thorough insight on what lay ahead as Naval Officers. The MFRC presentation did not apply to many of us who don’t have a dependant family, but is very useful to know for the future. So not really ‘death’ by power point, more like a patience test where the reward is knowledge of your future.
What struck me on this day was how different the military world is than the civilian. Nearly everything is covered or taken care of. Everything is orderly and efficient. Every officer and NCM present was professional and happy and willing to answer questions (of which there were tons).

Day 2 – Tuesday – Day Sail
For me this was by far the highlight of the week. We set out early morning to Naden, and boarded the HMCS Regina. It was a cold and damp morning with a strong hint of rain, but I did not really care – I was on a ship! (I’m on a boat la-la-la-la, don’t you ever forget). After a safety briefing, we left port and sailed out. To be honest I was so caught up on being there, I did not really fathom where we were. Through the day were given tours of the ship by our Watch Officer and NCM. We toured nearly all of the ship, from the bridge to the decks to the engine room and all. Again, every officer and NCM on board was absolutely courteous and polite and very willing to answer any questions we had. These sailors know their stuff to the T and in their own words would not trade their trade for anything else. We did a man overboard drill early in the day. The ship’s company (even with 400 people on board) was tremendously efficient in retrieving the dummy in less than 5 minutes. After lunch, the ship presented its visitors with some really terrific high-speed manoeuvres, including a hockey stop, and several figure eights. The experience was absolutely exhilarating and truly showed the capability of the ship and its company.

Day 3 – Wednesday – MOST and FF/DC
My watch did our Maritime Officer Selection Test (MOST) this day. It is confidential and there is indeed a good reason for it to be so. You cannot really prepare so to speak, but it will give the Navy (as well as you) a good measure of your aptitude for the MSE/NCSE/MARS trade. 

In the second half of the day, we toured the FF/DC facility. Onboard a ship, an emergency is met head on by everyone as there is no 911 service to you at sea – you are the firefighter! The FF/DC facility is a thorough course in...well...firefighting and damage control! They cover every aspect of the two, and train every sailor to the fullest to prepare them for any emergency onboard. The highlight of this day was the simulated fire which was very realistic as was the simulated helicopter fire. As was said in another thread, Hollywood special effects teams are amateurs compared to what we have here.

Day 4 – Thursday – Board Interviews and FMF/QHM

We did the Fleet Maintenance Facility and Queen’s Harbour Master tours in the first half of the day. The FMF is an extensive facility and is very well organized, though is stretched at times when a whole load of ships are undergoing refit/sea readiness as was the case in Operations Apollo and Altair. The QHM is the ATC of the harbour and MARS officers will work with them when in/approaching port. It was neat to see all the technology these folks have at their disposal and they do know how to use it very well.

We had our interviews in the 2nd half of the day. We were led to a hallway, from where we were called in one-by-one to our interviews. The board consisted of two Commanders, and two Lieutenant Commanders – a tremendous amount of experience in one room. I am quite young at 23, and I was a little nervous, but the interviewing officers were never rude or impolite – only firm but relaxed.

Day 5 – Friday – D-Day
Decision day – The morning began with a rush of nervous energy and an abnormally quiet breakfast hall, given that everyone knew most everyone else very well by this point. We then went to the Gunroom at NOTC and were led to the same hallway as before and called in order of the interviews. When the Lieutenant called me in from across the hallway, I went into bullet-time (a la Max Payne) and it had to be the longest 30 seconds of walking I had done. The senior officers (same as before) relaxed me with a little joviality before telling me that I had done fairly well and they would be pleased to offer me a MARS Officer’s position. The relief and joy I felt cannot be described, only experienced. The sad part was that 3 of us did not get an offer and it was really heart-wrenching to see them sad because we were all such great friends by then.
We went back to Wardroom that day and I then left for my early evening flight back to Toronto.
For me, it took a while for it to really sink in – I am going to be a MARS Officer!

Observations and Advice
The MOST – You can’t prepare for this, per se. You need to be quite quick at mental math as this is a timed test, much like the CFAT but more rapid. Know your multiplication tables and try to solve math problems in your head rather than on paper – you’ll be surprised how much it helps. Also, like all timed tests, manage your time very carefully.

The interviews – The senior officers here probably have more years in the Navy than you have lived. So be honest, and be yourself. Do NOT try to tell them what you think they want to hear. Do NOT try to BS your way around questions just to look good. It does not work – these officers know the difference between Naval Officer material and never officer material.

Overall
– This will probably be one of the best weeks of your life – it was the best ever for me. It is also a week of informed decisions. You make one about the Navy and the Navy makes one about you. Read as much as you can about the Canadian Navy. I recommend OP Apollo by Richard Gimblett as it gives a very thorough insight on how the Navy works. Most importantly, be yourself. Be honest to yourself and to the Navy. Ask yourself why you are there. When your answer brings a smile to your face that lasts for hours, that is when you know you are cut out for the Navy.

PS: Pictures from my NOAB can be seen here: <http://s590.photobucket.com/albums/ss349/rohanmcnavy/>

Thanks for posting about your experience!  :)  I'm hoping to get in on the next one.

Congrats Romeokilo to be accepted in the MARS program.

Thanks for your post, well written and your pictures are very good!

Wish you the best for your new exciting career  :)

Cheers!

Congratulations, im hoping to offered the next one, ive been done the application process and merit listed since june and havent hear anything yet. Just one question for you: Ive read in a few threads NOAB candidates had to write an essay along with the MOST and interviews.  Was anything like this mentioned in your course??

Good report. Things sure have changed since 89 when we went to Halifax and ran around in coveralls with numbered bibs on our chests. Good luck in your career!

Congrats! Those of us who just got back from 0902A all got offers, so I hope to meet you all in St Jean, our start date is August 31st.

Hello
I'm wondering if anyone has got the call for the July5-9 2010 NOAB? I'm hoping to get the call but I haven't heard anything yet.

When i went to NOAB in April i didn't get the call until about 3 weeks before.

Some of the people on my NOAB did not get the call until literally a week before.

So don't worry too much at this point, they aren't ignoring you, they just have alot to organize.

Thanks, good to know.

How was your NOAB? Anything I should prepare for? Anything surprise you?

It's so awesome, just be prepared to keep an open mind and ask lots of questions, the officers and NCM's are more than happy to oblige.

The most test is tricky, im not gonna lie, it comes down to being able to do alot of questions with ever more info in a very short amount of time. Don't try to answer all the questions you wont be able to. They want to see how you will be able to handle stress. Maybe practice your mental math, but in short their is nothing you can do to prepare for it, you either have what it takes or you don't, its not a test you can fake your way through.

The interview isn't  bad, just be prepared for the stress of having 4 very senior people asking you questions, just be honest and answer to the best of your abilities.

If you have anymore questions PM me and ill be happy to answer them.

Back