• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ICE Combat Jacket - Front Lower Pockets/Straps and rear velcro?

I recently got a good look at the Navy version of the jacket (Parka, Naval, Mfg 2000).  Nice black colour but many differences (possibly older model?).  I haven't looked closely at the older OD jacket so it may be similar to it.

Here are some of the things I noticed:

- No underarm ventilation zippers
- No front slipon holder/epaulette
- Has Shoulder straps/epaulettes instead
- Hand warmer pockets do not have zippers
- Hood pocket does not have a flap to cover over the Velcro, just Velcro to hold it closed
- Hood has two reflective strips on the back
- No shoulder tab with velcro for flag
- No Velcro on breast for nametape
- No parachute strap/anti-billowing device
- Still has the Baileys Irish Cream Ear Defender holders  ;D

Otherwise has all the other features (inside map pockets, etc).

Any Navy personnel here know if the coat was updated to similar specs as the Army model (just curious)?

Cheers

Nope, thats the parka for the Navy as it is.

It differs from the ICE because the Navy doesn't need most of those things (flag patch, para strap, etc..). However for the hood flap..I'll check later, but I think it does have the flap normally.

Mud Recce Man said:
Where did they add the additional pockets on it? 

THey made big chest pockets on it like the og Gortex parka and big bulky waist pockets.  I saw it once and I hope it is only a test pattern...it looks like crap.

mover1 said:
THey made big chest pockets on it like the og Gortex parka and big bulky waist pockets.  I saw it once and I hope it is only a test pattern...it looks like crap.

Think I will just keep the one with the 2 pockets then.  ;D

I gotta say though, I do like the gortex rain pants.  Belt loops, suspender buttons, and the side leg zipper/flap opens enough that I can pull them on with my clunky Bates M-9 boots on.  Bravo.

I, personally, am less concerned with how they look.

I'd rather see them be properly functional for use by the proper people (ie pointy end), regardless of looks, for a change.

geo said:
.... speaking Heressy there Vern!

It's all good buddy!! Members of my family have indeed been burnt at the stake for that before!! See my Interview thread in the Admin section!!  >:D

Now...I've got to go pull out my magic potion book to put a hex on you for bringing that up!!  ;D

Heh....
Do I get to choose the Animal I get turned into?

PM inbound so that this thread can get back on track after my hijacking of it....

The Librarian said:
I, personally, am less concerned with how they look.

I'd rather see them be properly functional for use by the proper people (ie pointy end), regardless of looks, for a change.

I am not sure I am concerned about how they look, but not wanting more zippers/pull-strings etc to mess about with, for what should be just simple rain gear.

Still baffles me, though, that AF people get the Gortex raingear without question (I did as soon as I had my OT message and went to get kitted out here).  Army?  No Gortex raingear for you! 

Doesn't have to make sense
Years ago, the Army types could get all the helmet bags they wanted while the Air types coldn't get any...... (they made great bags for shower gear )

I love the ICE gear.  6 months in Alert and I was not cold once, although I would love to see them develop a glove insert for the  Arctic mitten.

Mud Recce Man said:
Still baffles me, though, that AF people get the Gortex raingear without question (I did as soon as I had my OT message and went to get kitted out here).  Army?  No Gortex raingear for you! 

Yep that's right. But don't blame the Air Force and don't blame the Supply Techs...

One element forked out the dough to get their pers the kit, and one did not.

That is not a Supply problem.

The Librarian said:
Yep that's right. But don't blame the Air Force and don't blame the Supply Techs...

One element forked out the dough to get their pers the kit, and one did not.

That is not a Supply problem.

Ack on that, I knew that from another thread...just...doesn't make sense from an "end-user" perspective though...now that I feel I don't really need really good rain gear...I have it?

:D

Mud Recce Man said:
Ack on that, I knew that from another thread...just...doesn't make sense from an "end-user" perspective though...now that I feel I don't really need really good rain gear...I have it?

:D

I just got "sized" for mine last week... I am guessing I"ll get all my ICE gear by mid late summer....    ::)

Cheers,
TN2IC

Time between sizing and delivery...........
my experience FWIW, 10 days.

TN2IC said:
I just got "sized" for mine last week... I am guessing I"ll get all my ICE gear by mid late summer....     ::)

Cheers,
TN2IC

Seen but...I was referring to the Gortex CADPAT raingear the AF gets issued.  Not pointing fingers at the Supply system, or Command/Formations...just think it is alittle odd, thats all.

;)

I think it is funny... we have Air Force MSE Ops at my work that get it. And they don't even go outside. But yet I still got the OD rain jacket... oh well.

Also I thought it was funny, I asked a Supply Tech if I could get ones of those rain jackets. He said no... but get this... he said it was design to be static free for when it comes to working on aircrafts. Not for us Army folks. I just looked at him dumbfounded. I don't think he knows Army and Air Force MSE Ops do aircraft refueling... meh. It's the way how the cookie crumblies..

:rofl:

TN2IC said:
I think it is funny... we have Air Force MSE Ops at my work that get it. And they don't even go outside. But yet I still got the OD rain jacket... oh well.

Depends on where you are I guess. My roomate recently came of a tasking supporting a pathfinder course. They go him the rain kit. The temptation to "borrow" it.

TO tell the truth I have had my rain gear for about 6 years now. The Airforce being a little bit forward thinking just went ahead and bought it. Then issued it to Flightless personell only and when sufficient sticks were had everyone on all wings regardless of what uniform they wear received it.
However at the time if we were in possesion of an OD gortex jacket we were not entitled to the we had to turn it in.
The Airforce waited until the very end to issue us with our cadpat and when they did they did a bang up job.

Everyone was fitted and sizes were taken down. A month later clothing stores sent an e-mail where different units had timings we went to the clothing and were issued with two garbage bags full of kit. Including cadpat parkas, pants, jackets rain gear, combats.. etc....
It was really smooth, well organized and the entire wing was wearing cadpat withing three days.

The only problem is that I still have
blue gortex, army goretex, ariforce green goretex, denim jacket............

Back