• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IDF Back Into Gaza for Kidnapped Cpl.

54/102 CEF

Inactive
Reaction score
This is as good a war threat as I`ve seen so far http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/26/060626081817.kfhkbz2g.html

Take out the perpetrators then take out their base areas - then take out their sponsors - won`t happen you say?

Lets hope not - but keep your helmets handy

I'm not saying that Israel doesn't care for it's soldiers lives, but I wonder if they're using this as a reason to pull the trigger on Hamas.  It's no secret how Israel feels about the new Palestinian government.  I hope the soldier is returned unharmed, but I fear that if he isn't things are going to turn extremely nasty.  Things haven't been quiet in the region lately, but they aren't as bad either as they once were.  If Israel makes good on it's threat, there are international reprecussions that are going to come down, not to mention giving a rally cry for many palestinians sitting on the fence.

I wonder if Hamas is using this as a planned excuse to get out of the box presented by Abbas’s referendum idea? If the IDF comes in guns blazing, the average pal might not be keen to set up talks with them for awhile.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3268283,00.html#n

''Operation "Summer Rains" begins: At around 2:30 a.m. (1930 EDT) Israeli tanks and troops rolled into the southern Gaza Strip on Wednesday, the army said, after mediators said hope of recovering kidnapped soldier Cpl. Gilad Shalit through talks was running out.  The incursion came shortly after Palestinian security forces deployed near the Gazan border town of Rafah said they were ordered out by the Israeli military.  Israeli Air Force planes targeted missiles at two bridges in the central Gaza Strip shortly before midnight Tuesday. After completing the deployment of forces to the area, the army entered “battle regulations” – or the state of preparation to launch an offensive.  At around 1:30 a.m. (1830 EDT) five missiles were fired at an electricity plant in south Gaza; blackouts were reported in some Gaza areas. ''

Best of luck!

There's GOTTA be at least one planner on the PSE side saying, "Once Israel comes back into Gaza, tanks in the streets will be all you'll see in the media, and we get to message about our oppression."  For example:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060628/wl_mideast_afp/mideastunrestpalestinianabbas
''Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas has slammed an Israeli ground offensive in the Gaza Strip "collective punishment" after civilian infrastructure was damaged in air strikes. ''

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3268484,00.html
''Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas condemned Israel's operation in the Gaza Strip, saying the IDF's first incursion into Gaza since last year's pullout is a war crime and constitutes collective punishment for thousands of Palestinians.''

In fact, ISR has set a pretty clear benchmark to turn the Merkava's around:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3268491,00.html
''Vice Premier Shimon Peres said Wednesday that the Palestinians could halt Israel's military operation in the Gaza Strip if they release Gilad Shalit, the soldier kidnapped in an attack on IDF troops near Gaza.''

BTW, here's the IDF news release on OP Summer Rains, with some (dark) video:
http://www1.idf.il/DOVER/site/mainpage.asp?sl=EN&id=7&docid=53481&Pos=1&last=1&bScope=True

I'm back! The first thing Israel does is knock out all bridges, water and electricity. As if Hamas has tanks or heavy machinery to fight back. I also find the statements from Hamas funny, they'll "defend" Gaza. C'mon give me a break, we've seen what Israel did in Jenin. There is no way Hamas or for that matter of fact any arab army be able to defend the city at this stage.

Interesting news though just couple of hours ago, IAF planes fly over Damascus and precisely the Assad palace:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/06/28/israel.soldier/index.html

I like the Syrian response: "We chased off the Israeli Airplanes"......duh! After what ? They were already above damascus. I guesss the guy sitting at his radar station was taking a nap o rsomething! (If they ever showed up on radar)

tamouh said:
I'm back! The first thing Israel does is knock out all bridges, water and electricity.

Tends to happen when you vote for Hamas....

tamouh said:
C'mon give me a break, we've seen what Israel did in Jenin.

They sacrificed their own soldiers to try to reduce Palestinian casualties only to be accused by most of the world of a massacre ...

Interesting reaction from Israel. I think it reflects the place of the IDF and its personnel in society.
Few other countries would go to such ends over a captured soldier (or citizen) - as much as we would like to believe they would. But where every citizen is essentially a soldier, and where that kidnapped corporal could literally be anyone's 19 yr old child, the Government is willing and able to go to bat.

This could be big - Israel is pointing directly at Hamas and Syria here, and expecting answers. There is a lot more than just a captured soldier at stake here:
The IDF could solve the Palestinian power struggle and in the end do Fatah a favour by making Hamas a non-viable entity. As Fatah is more pro-peace than Hamas, knocking Hamas out of the political struggle is in Israel's interests. (note: by "knock-out" I mean disable the logistics and leadership of Hamas to the extent it can't govern or compete against Fatah, not be erased completely. If that was possible, Israel would have done it a long time ago)

Hamas needs to win the internal struggle, and the best way is to unite behind popular resistance against Israel - say, by kidnapping a young conscript and forcing something dramatic by the IDF. Remember that before this kidnapping Palestine was moving to civil war, and Israel was largely just watching. Forcing Israel into the picture again changes the dynamic and popular feeling.

Interesting reaction from Israel. I think it reflects the place of the IDF and its personnel in society.
Few other countries would go to such ends over a captured soldier (or citizen) - as much as we would like to believe they would. But where every citizen is essentially a soldier, and where that kidnapped corporal could literally be anyone's 19 yr old child, the Government is willing and able to go to bat.

And that cuts to the heart of the matter:

This operation IS NOT about re-occupying Gaza, 

This operation IS NOT about de-stabilizing the quest for Palestinian statehood,

Recent political actions and concessions point to the contrary.

This operation IS about taking direct and decisive military action to rescue Israelis who have fallen into the hands of their people's enemies.

In that regard it is no different from the raid on Entebbe and in that regard it is unequivocally justifiable.

Go IDF!!!  Rescue the two who have been kidnapped or,if they have been murdered, get them some justice. 

CNN reporting the hostage has been killed.  No link up let just an alert on the main page.

RIP

tamouh said:
I'm back! The first thing Israel does is knock out all bridges, water and electricity. As if Hamas has tanks or heavy machinery to fight back.

Did you ever think that might have been done to discourage and/or prevent the kidnapped IDF member being transported in, say a vehicle (by the murdering cowards you obviously support) outside the perimiter?

You make me wanna VOMIT Tamouh. Your comments are fast becomming very un-Canadian to say the least.

Spencer100 said:
CNN reporting the hostage has been killed.  No link up let just an alert on the main page.

RIP

Personally, I would not be suprised if they murdered this hostage. Remember we are dealing with sub-human creatures worse than a rabid animal, and if the IDF stays around for a while to at least try to sort out these dog turds, they have my blessing.

Regards,

Wes

Wesley 'Down Under' said:
Personally, I would not be suprised if they murdered this hostage. Remember we are dealing with sub-human creatures worse than a rabid animal, and if the IDF stays around for a while to at least try to sort out these dog turds, they have my blessing.

Regards,

Wes

You echo my thoughts on the subject fully.  ALWAYS look after your own!

Back