• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"I'm an army reservist and a nurse. I learned to keep the first job a secret"

. . . UofM is very military friendly.

The U of M even had a "satellite campus" in Lahr, Germany when there was a base there. Campus may be bit of a stretch, there was a classroom dedicated for a visiting prof. The last one there was probably Peter St John, 1990/91, I don't recall if any came after him, at least I didn't take any courses after that.

I was on a course a few weeks ago between a couple different federal government organizations, Europe and NA, and this was part of a conversation- that the traditional left disdain and right support has shifted dramatically where now the left still don’t like us (military and any authority figures like police) but the right has also begun to dislike us as “tools of tyrants” (police/security agencies/ and military)

Your mileage may vary but it is my personal observation over the last few years as well. We can expect for all walks now!

Last edited:
I seem to remember people calling U of W "Commie U" because some the of the faculty were members of the Communist Party.

YMMV but I went to SFU, widely thought of as a hot bed of left wing maniacs, but mainly encountered normal, hard working kids worried about the results on their next round of tests.

The Profs, I did an Arts BA, were all clearly professionals and masters of their jobs and didn't do any recruiting for the Communist Party, or anything else like that.

They had the occasional demonstration/ gatherings for various causes on campus but, unless you worked hard to get involved, they were easy to miss. Any full on 'crazies' were definitely a very small minority.

YMMV but I went to SFU, widely thought of as a hot bed of left wing maniacs, but mainly encountered normal, hard working kids worried about the results on their next round of tests.

The Profs, I did an Arts BA, were all clearly professionals and masters of their jobs and didn't do any recruiting for the Communist Party, or anything else like that.

They had the occasional demonstration/ gatherings for various causes on campus but, unless you worked hard to get involved, they were easy to miss. Any full on 'crazies' were definitely a very small minority.
Agreed.

Besides, the prevalence of “lefty” influence depends on your major. Arts and Social Sciences would have more folks politically motivated than, say, Engineering.

If any Canadian university was a hotbed of lefty maniacs, the scale of the protests/tent cities would be far larger than what’s shown. Most Canadian universities aren’t small - either the protests are from a small minority (which is what I’m saying) or they’re doing a really bad job at converting people to their cause.

Think I can count half a dozen jobs that saw me as a burden for asking for a weekend a month off. Many didn't understand military leave rules, and one even suggested I should "stop volunteering with the army" offered to educate her and HR but was turned down. Took 13 years to find an employer that had a positive outlook on my service.

Think I can count half a dozen jobs that saw me as a burden for asking for a weekend a month off. Many didn't understand military leave rules, and one even suggested I should "stop volunteering with the army" offered to educate her and HR but was turned down. Took 13 years to find an employer that had a positive outlook on my service.
Even the federal government doesn’t like to give its employees time off to work with the reserves. It varies wildly place to place and office to office

Think I can count half a dozen jobs that saw me as a burden for asking for a weekend a month off.

YMMV

Weekend availability was written into our Job Description when we signed on,
  • Must be available to work rotating shift/weekend/night/overtime/on call duty in all environmental conditions.

YMMV

Weekend availability was written into our Job Description when we signed on,
  • Must be available to work rotating shift/weekend/night/overtime/on call duty in all environmental conditions.
I worked as a cook, eventually an executive sous chef. There were years I couldn't even get 1 weekend off, period. Asking for any time off other then my randomly assigned days that were never together was an inconvenience.

There were years I couldn't even get 1 weekend off, period.

Our schedule never changed. You worked two weekends every six weeks.

You could use FSH time, vacation time or lieu time on weekends you were scheduled to work.

When I got enough seniority, I bid onto schedule that did not work nights or weekends. You gave up your Shift Bonus, but I felt it was worth it.

Back