• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

DirtyDog said:
Personally, and no offence to anyone I hope, but I've always considered rolled up sleeves a practice best left to support trades and reservists. ;)
Unless they start using Nomex as the fabric on combats, you'll still not get the better level of protection you deserve. 

jollyjacktar said:
Unless they start using Nomex as the fabric on combats, you'll still not get the better level of protection you deserve.

You can make combats out of Nomex all you want, without a second layer (i.e. cotton shirt, underwear, etc..) you might as well wear paper uniforms. How many infantry guys will walk around the desert wearing long underwear and shirt under their combats and all the gear ?

jollyjacktar said:

Tell me again why I "deserve" a better level of protection?

We don't just walk around the desert. We walk around the armories, the street.....and sometimes the woods and plains and the Arctic.....jungles for some.

http://www.azguard.gov/AZAASF1/quizstar/alse%20update.ppt#310,9,Slide9

Slide #19.........That's what happens when you wear Nomex without a full-lenght second layer.

Jim Seggie said:
Haha...were you around in the "Olden Days" of winter and summer dress when it was dictated that "thou shalt roll up your sleeves on May 15, and not one day before" and "thou shalt roll down your sleeves on 15 September"? And it didn't matter what the weather was like.

We didn't have much of a choice.

My husband's current unit follows that old school thought still.  Lucky for the new fleece with the weather we've been having since the "winter" date is Oct something.

I'm very happy not to have that anymore.  I remember wearing the navy workdress years ago and freezing with the sleeves rolled up but not able to do anything about it since the calendar said sleeves up!

The old school thought is retarded......I particulary don't like being told when I can wear a jacket or not, or have my sleeves up or down.

Jim Seggie said:
Haha...were you around in the "Olden Days" of winter and summer dress when it was dictated that "thou shalt roll up your sleeves on May 15, and not one day before" and "thou shalt roll down your sleeves on 15 September"? And it didn't matter what the weather was like.

We didn't have much of a choice.

:nod:  Yep.  Sounds like the heating system in the last apt building I lived in - hot-water radiators, controlled centrally.  They turned the heat on, on the day they were legally obliged to and not one day before, regardless of the weather. 

Last time I went on TD to a base in Georgia (US), it felt like a warm day so I was walking around with my combat sleeves rolled up - but everyone there had sleeves down, and jackets on.  Guess it's all relative.

ottawa2012100200223.jpg

Personally,  if I were you I would have just taken a picture of the shirt laid out on a bed or something.. and not used your he-man impression photo :p

Anyways,  cool to see those interim shirts,  I wonder how many were made?

DirtyDog said:
Personally, and no offence to anyone I hope, but I've always considered rolled up sleeves a practice best left to support trades and reservists. ;)

I guess is spewing out 7.62mm at 3000 rds/min covering your a$$ from above is "support", then yes, I still prefer to keep my sleeves rolled up.  ;)

PPCLI Guy said:
Tell me again why I "deserve" a better level of protection?
As I recall the combats I was issued when they were green melted like nobody's business when in contact with flames.  I did not really have occasions to expose my Arid Cadpat to flames so I cannot say if they were similar in properties.  It was, one of the things that was on my mind when I was on the road over there and I did seriously think about my anti-flash gear.

Me?  I'm happy I have the benefits of Nomex uniforms especially when going into Action or Emergency Stations.  If you don't feel you need it, want it or deserve it (the protection that Nomex gives when used correctly),  then my good man by all means feel free.

DirtyDog said:

if the CoC let them the royals would all be walking around sleeves up, as tight as they could get em  ;)

I personally hate sleeves up and find sleeves down looks much more professional, and is far more comfortable.  CFSEME is very much like the "old" way we go sleeves up until a certain date, however all the staff walk around sleeves down  ::)

I have my days where I just can't help it. "<sun's out guns out" as they say.

-Skeletor- said:
Personally,  if I were you I would have just taken a picture of the shirt laid out on a bed or something.. and not used your he-man impression photo :p

Anyways,  cool to see those interim shirts,  I wonder how many were made?

That's my buddy.  :'(

Tollis said:
I personally hate sleeves up and find sleeves down looks much more professional, and is far more comfortable.  CFSEME is very much like the "old" way we go sleeves up until a certain date, however all the staff walk around sleeves down  ::)
Horribly rolled up sleeves perhaps. Do it properly and it shows off your biceps.

bananaman said:
I have my days where I just can't help it. "<sun's out guns out" as they say.

Awww yeeah! Haha!

But in those hot summer days, sometimes even rolled up sleeves can make all the difference but I do agree, down looks more professional (and easier to throw on Monday morning after a few wobbly pops  ;) )

Long sleeves should always be worn down. Hats should be worn.

Sunshine causes cancer.

Rider Pride said:
Long sleeves should always be worn down. Hats should be worn.

Sunshine causes cancer.

So does smoking... so does that make me suicidal if I'm hacking a dart with sleeves up? :)

Back