• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Individual Learning Plans (ILP) [Merged]

Does anyone here know how to go about submitting your education reimbursement yourself?  (without using the OR)  From what I understand, when the ILP goes through (which it had) and the appropriate ID numbers are provided, the transcript, payment record, and receipts are off to Kingston to be validated.  This is the stage where my local OR failed, to make a long story short.  The individual charged with processing financial claims is nowhere to be found and I am currently trying to retrieve my documents (which is also nowhere to be found) so I may finish the process myself as time is an issue.  I have heard of some people running themselves through the process and was hoping that one would happen to read this thread.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  (Yes, I am still going through the proper channels, but as time is a huge issue and I am having no luck, I would like the alternative of relying on myself.)

Your BPSO office will have a education reimbursement clerk but they will probably refer you back to your OR as they are you POC.

Actually, in the vast majority of locations PSO's process these claims from start to finish, no involvement from the OR's whatsoever. If the documentation was submitted to the OR 2 things may have occured: 1- the clerk was unsure abourt the processing and is attemtping to figure it out, 2- it was forwarded to the PSO for processing.

PSO's retain full control of these claims to ensure they qualify under the apporved ILP, and to ascert the applicability of the training taken are relevant to the ILP.

PO2FinClk said:
Actually, in the vast majority of locations PSO's process these claims from start to finish, no involvement from the OR's whatsoever. If the documentation was submitted to the OR 2 things may have occured: 1- the clerk was unsure abourt the processing and is attemtping to figure it out, 2- it was forwarded to the PSO for processing.

PSO's retain full control of these claims to ensure they qualify under the apporved ILP, and to ascert the applicability of the training taken are relevant to the ILP.

I realize that Edmonton is not the vast majority of locations but that is the preferred course of action as relayed to me by the PSO Clk (I had submitted 4-5 previous education claims directly with the office).

Old topic - new question -
How does the Reserve Reimbursement program effect taxes? After reading through the tax guide - it states that I can only claim my eligible tuition fees "If the fees were paid or reinbursed by your employer, ... you can claim them only if the payment or reimbursement was included in your or your parent's income. " (2007 tax guide)  It then says under Education Amt: "Generally, you cannot claim this amount for a program for which you received a benefit, grant, an allowance or reimbursement of your tuition fees. However, you can claim this amt if you received salaray or wages from a job that is related to your program of study ..." (2007 Tax guide)
So my question is - how does the CF view this reimbursement - is it to be included on my T4 or is it simply other income? Does it allow me to claim my tuition or ?

I've just completed BMQ and am currently going through SQ in my high school Coop program as a reserve infantry soldier. I am now aware that i am eligible for education reimbursement 50% to max $2000 total $8000, but the document is very confusing to me. Iv'e filled it out to the best of my ability but not sure on some points.

-what is MOC and where would i find out mine?
-what is UIC and where would i find out mine?
-what is the enrollment date; the day i swore in?
-where would i get a CF 1007?

I tried to submit it online on my home computer but it says i need to use a DIN computer... where would i go to use this (I am in the Lorne Scots brampton area). Is there someone to talk to at the armoury that can help me with this?
Iv'e searched and have not found much help, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thx!

The reimbursement program is for post-secondary studies - college or university.

Your MOC is what is now called your MOSID - the code that identifies your military occupation.

Your UIC is your unit identification code - it's a four digit number that's unique to your unit.

Your enrollment date should be the day you were sworn in.

Your orderly room should be able to assist, and provide you with a copy of your 1007.

Ref DIN access, you need an account to access it, but you can do it from your unit. See if one of your staff/Sect Comd can help you out in that area...

Thank you very much guys, ill find out where the orderly room is as well as ask my section commander for assistance.

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knew approximately how long it took to receive the education reimbursement.  I am currently in graduate school and will need to take time off to complete by BMOQ and subsequent courses.  The money would go a long way to taking the financial pressure off.  Any and all advice is appreciated.

Kind Regards,

T.

It took me about a month & a half to get my cheque, but it may be different depending on your specific situation.

I filled out my ILP with the help of my orderly room staff.  Once it was all filled out, it was submitted online to the case manager - who in turn approved it.  The cheque was then issued - entire time took about a month and a half.

Wanted to see if anyone else have been in a similar situation. I completed my first ILP and obtained a Business diploma from a local University. I had a second ILP approved for Security Management certificate from University of Calgary and some of the core courses requirements for that certificate contain business courses. After trying to get reimbursement for advance credits I received in the business courses due to me having the diploma I've been told that there won't be any reimbursement of advance credit fees or even of any business related courses due to me having a business diploma.

So my question is, has anyone obtained reimbursement for courses related to their first ILP ?

Last year I completed an ILP, submitted it, and received my $2000 a few months later.

Now this year is finished, do I need to re-do the eILP? I still have the approval email sent to me...Or do I just give my transcripts and stuff to the unit clerk?

Thanks

We are seeking your opinion and comments!

We are in the process of looking at making changes to the way reservist request education reimbursement for part-time studies in order to better meet the needs of members of the Primary reserve.

- What are the issues or difficulties do you have when you submit your ILP?
- Do you have access to the DIN to submit your ILP electronically?
- Do you have an EMMA account?
- Are you aware of the online form that you can print?
- How can we improved the process? etc..

Thanks.

A majority of reservists, particularly the younger ones who are most likely going to avail of the reimbursement, do not have DIN accounts, and those who do don't always have regular access to a DIN terminal.

And it comes back to units not having enough IT resources....

In my troop we have 3 DWAN comptures, (Tp Wo, TC) I must share mine with the rest of the section commanders. Currently I am waiting for a fourth one to get hooked so then I can push the section commanders on to that one.....

Sly20 said:
We are seeking your opinion and comments!

We are in the process of looking at making changes to the way reservist request education reimbursement for part-time studies in order to better meet the needs of members of the Primary reserve.

- What are the issues or difficulties do you have when you submit your ILP?
- Do you have access to the DIN to submit your ILP electronically?
- Do you have an EMMA account?
- Are you aware of the online form that you can print?
- How can we improved the process? etc..

Thanks.

First and foremost, it needs to be taken off-DIN. As was correctly pointed out, relatively few school-age reservists have DIN access, and those of us who do aren't likely to have frequent access. Give us something we can access from home; keyed, say, to our service number.

Secondly, for a new kid looking at the process for getting reimbursement, it's pretty intimidating. I'm not sure if it's assumed that we will have a clerk available to guide us through this; all too often we don't. A nice simple aide-memoir that breaks it down into numbers would be a big help.

Beyond that, though, there's not much that can be done from your guys' end I think.

Actually, that would be great, a set of simple step by step instructions, available WITH the form (Actually, simple instructions with every form, and a simple operator instructions spray painted on the side of every piece of kit would be best, but that's a war I'll wage another day), better yet, a "what's this?" sort of link next to each box in the form would be incredible!

Each september for the past couple of years, I've explained to my troop directly how the education reimbursement works, what they've got to do, and offered to help anyone who comes to me through the process... given that the majority are fresh privates, this usually amounts to taking them to my office, logging in with my account, showing them the site, and sitting with them as they fill out the form, and answer whatever questions as they come up (What's a UIC? What's a MOSID? Questions for anyone with a couple of years in that seem simple, but for a green private are confusing and intimidating)

Thanks for your replies so far,

Limited access to the DIN is a serious issue. Having an alternate method of submitting an ILP online without being connected to the ILP system would correct this problem.

Did anyone visit this link before? http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/dli-dai/er-re/ilp/ilp_form/ilp.asp

And, how about the advice or support that you receive at your unit? Is your orderly staff knowledgeable on ER policies? Do you know which Personnel Selection Officers (PSO's) support your unit?

Back