• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Reserves DP1 [MERGED]

MercenaryBlack said:
Hey. After how long is an infantry soldier considered fully trained? On the CAF site "The starting salary for a fully-trained Infantry Soldier is $49,400 per year" So what exactly is fully trained? i've googled it multiple times, and searched this site, but I can't find anything. I'm thinking it's after one year.

Since it appears (to me) that your question is less about how long it takes to fully train an infanteer, but more about when you can start collecting that 49k+ a year, it is easy to calculate.  Divide the 49,400 by 12 which will give the monthly salary of "trained infantry soldier".  Then go to Regular Force NCM Pay Rates and find the monthly pay rate that is closest to that amount.  That will give an indication when you start earning than amount.  While there may be some restrictions connected to qualifications before moving to the next annual pay increment, in most cases it is based solely on time.

Geeze. Nobody told me there would be math involved.  :facepalm:

When he can snatch the pebble from my hand.

cupper said:
Geeze. Nobody told me there would be math involved.  :facepalm:

See.  The studying they did for the CFAT should have put them in good stead.  Guess Not.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Actually, an infanteer is fully trained after he has been in his/her first firefight, applied the lessons learned (Don't shoot up the forest - aim your fire, etc.) and survived.

Before that the infanteer only thinks he/she is fully trained.  ;D

I guess if you apply that to the Navy, it means to be a fully trained Sailor, you need to be in a naval battle, have your ship sunk, survive and apply the lessons learned...  8)

Seriously, a friend once said: "It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one".

Jungle said:
I guess if you apply that to the Navy, it means to be a fully trained Sailor, you need to be in a naval battle, have your ship sunk, survive and apply the lessons learned...  8)

No, no, no.

You are a trained sailor when: (1) you have had to carry out a RAS at 14 Kts in sea state 7 and, (2) you have received in the mail from your underwater friends a nice picture of your ship in a periscope cross-hair with the date and time stamp on it.

:nod:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
No, no, no.

You are a trained sailor when: (1) you have had to carry out a RAS at 14 Kts in sea state 7 and, (2) you have received in the mail from your underwater friends a nice picture of your ship in a periscope cross-hair with the date and time stamp on it.

:nod:

I thought it was when you took a selfie laying on the floor and brought the Chief Eng a bucket of steam.  :)

Kit lists are available within the joining instructions which is located on the meaford site.

I would not bother your OPs with such a frivolous question. They have more important things to do, obtaining a joining instruction is something anyone with DWAN access can do.

Begin your career properly, start at the lowest level and attempt to rectify problems as low as you can, if your immediate action is to ask a member of your CoC and then immediately go to your OPs, your going to have a bad time, considering they are no where near your chain and that is not their responsibility.

If all else fails, call your clerk, talk to someone who you know within the unit who has DWAN access, or search for it online.

I know meaford does offer some references on their civilian website.

In short do one of the following
Request joining instructions complete via CoC
Ask a friend who has DWAN access to print it off,
Call your clerk (or any of your unit clerks),
Don't recieve one and just bring all issued kit and obvious personal kit

In only 8 minutes I was able to find the Meaford Specificic kit list. This is straight out of the most up to date joining instructions, it says BMQ(L) but it is the same list for DP1 INF

ANNEX A – KIT LIST

1. This kit list has been specified for BMQ(L) but is applicable to other courses other than DP1 Infmn.  Specific kit lists for courses issued by Course Staff may supercede this document.

BMQ (L) Kit List
1. Beret 1
2. Identification discs / ID card / medical alert bracelet or necklace 1
3. Singlet, Khaki 4
4. Underwear, Khaki 5
5. Socks, grey and black 5 pr ea
6. Combat Shirt 3
7. Combat Trousers, lightweight 3
8. Waist belt 1
9. Combat Boots 2 pr
10. Combat Overshoes/ NEO’s 1 pr
11. Fleece Jacket 1
12. Fleece Pants 2
13. Combat Jacket (Gortex) 1
14. Gortex Pants 1
15. Rainsuit complete 1
16. Balaclava White 1
17. Cap Combat 1
18. Toque green 1
19. Balaclava Green 1
20. CDN flag (for cadpat shirt / jackets) 5
21. Slip-ons 4 pr
22. Combat Gloves 1 pr
23. Combat Scarf 1
24. TAC Vest complete (with bayonet/mag pouches) 1
25. Mask Protective (CBRN) 1
26. Helmet w/cam cover & rubber band / winter & summer 1
27. Sheet utility 1
28. Multi-tool 1
29. Field Msg Pad 1
30. Hand towel Khaki 3
31. Bath towel Khaki 2
32. Field Dressing 2
33. Boot Kit ( min. 1 X brush & 1 X tin of polish) 1
34. Barrack Box / MOB box 1
35. Kit Bag 2
36. Sleeping Bag (2 piece & liner) with valise 1
37. Ranger Blanket 1
38. Patrol Pack 1
39. Rucksack (complete) 1
40. Bivy Bag 1
41. Goretex Socks 1 pr
42. NBCW Bag 1
43. Air mattress 1
44. Mosquito Bar and Head net 1 each
45. Compass 1
46. Cam Paint (1xbrown 1xgreen 1xblack) 3
47. Flashlight 1
48. Head lamp w/ red light filter or lense 1
49. Sewing Kit 1
50. Ballistic Glasses 1
51. Boot Laces 2pr
MISCELLANEOUS CATEGORY
52. Gym Shoes /civilian PT socks Min 1 pr ea
53. PT Shirt, Short Sleeve 1
54. PT Top, Fleece
55. PT Shorts
56. PT Pants
57. Shaving Kit / Hangers / Alarm clock / shower shoes / 1
58. Combination Padlock 4
59. Acceptable Civilian Clothes Yes
WINTER KIT (Required for FALL/WINTER serials in addition to above mentioned kit)
60. Duffle Socks 2 pr
61. Thermal Underwear 2
62. Insoles Mesh and felt 2 pr
63. Parka 1
64. Mukluks 1 pr
65. Arctic Mitts 1 pr
66. Rucksack Cover White 1
67. Thermos/water bottle 1

• ANY COURSE RUNNING OVER REMEMBERANCE DAY WILL REQUIRE
1. DEU’S COMPLETE with GABARDINE.
• Any course that is not running over 11 Nov, does not require deu’s.

For that kit list you can scratch out the winter kit on the bottom, as well as the compass as the compass will be provided. The rest looks appropriate.

The eastiest way is to literally bring everything you have been issued plus civi PT kit, abolutions kit, boot kit, and shit you want for night time.

Source-I am teaching the first serial of reserve DP1 Inf in meaford right now.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
No, no, no.

You are a trained sailor when: (1) you have had to carry out a RAS at 14 Kts in sea state 7 . . .

RAS?  Why are sailors performing "Rear Area Security" tasks when that would be counterproductive to one of the essentials of the Navy life.  Isn't a sailor fully trained once he has had a tot of rum after receiving 10 lashes and having . . . well, you know.

Blackadder1916 said:
RAS?  Why are sailors performing "Rear Area Security" tasks when that would be counterproductive to one of the essentials of the Navy life.  Isn't a sailor fully trained once he has had a tot of rum after receiving 10 lashes and having . . . well, you know.

RAS: Replenishment At Sea. For you landlubbers, two ships, totalling a little over 25,000 tonnes proceeding together at 30 Km/h while staying 25 meters apart and transferring enough food for 240 people for two weeks, 50,000 litters of diesel fuel, then avgas, then whatever else you may need for the next few days or weeks. In Sea State 7, that means you are doing this against 60 Km/h winds heading into 5.5 meters high waves (for those who don't know, wave heights are usually calculated from average sea level to crest of wave, so this means 11 meters between crests and troughs).

PS: Were not allowed to use the lash for punishment anymore, Alas! … the other two things however …  ;D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
RAS: Replenishment At Sea. For you landlubbers, two ships, totalling a little over 25,000 tonnes proceeding together at 30 Km/h while staying 25 meters apart and transferring enough food for 240 people for two weeks, 50,000 litters of diesel fuel, then avgas, then whatever else you may need for the next few days or weeks. In Sea State 7, that means you are doing this against 60 Km/h winds heading into 5.5 meters high waves (for those who don't know, wave heights are usually calculated from average sea level to crest of wave, so this means 11 meters between crests and troughs).

PS: Were not allowed to use the lash for punishment anymore, Alas! … the other two things however …  ;D

So like passing beer to another vehicle on the highway. :nod:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
RAS: Replenishment At Sea. For you landlubbers, . . .

Surprisingly, I already knew the navy version of that acronym.  My only time at sea aboard (we were told we were not "in" since we were embarked as passengers) a Canadian naval vessel was with 3 PPCLI in 1979 for EX KERNAL POTLACH.  The troops were spread among Provider and (IIRC) two* destroyers for the trip from Esquimalt to San Diego where we transferred to the USN ships for the amphibious training (in San Diego and Pendleton) and then on to the north end of Vancouver Island for the landing exercise.  The troops were bedded down (air mattress and sleeping bag) all over the place in Provider, most were in the hanger (I don't remember a helo embarked) but some of us were scattered in odd places.  I was in the "RAS flats" if I recall that correctly.  During the trip down they did a fuel transfer with an American oiler so I did get to see that - since the army medics stood duty (of a sort) in the sickbay, I was on deck with the ship's Snr MA providing medical cover.  I don't know what the sea state was but it was fairly mild, however later (on the US ships) during the trip back up and the landing operations we did have to contend with some worse weather.  Being in a landing craft trying to get out of a LPD in rough weather can be a little scary.

edited to add
* I guess I didn't remember correctly.  From another post in another thread
The land forces were then supported by, in the Canadian case,
the operational support ship HMCS Provider and the ASW destroyers HMCS
Gatineau, Terra Nova, and Restigouche

Blackadder1916 said:
however later (on the US ships) during the trip back up and the landing operations we did have to contend with some worse weather.  Being in a landing craft trying to get out of a LPD in rough weather can be a little scary.

So, I assume you gained a much better appreciation of the exploits of your forefathers who actually did that across the Channel onboard slightly larger, but still flat bottomed, landing ships in a storm in 1944 … and for Marines, who do this type of thing every day.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Rear Area Security still applies. That involves the other thing we aren't talking about. >:D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
So, I assume you gained a much better appreciation of the exploits of your forefathers who actually did that across the Channel onboard slightly larger, but still flat bottomed, landing ships in a storm in 1944 … and for Marines, who do this type of thing every day.

And an appreciation of the factor played by weather (even marginal weather) in amphibious ops, probably more so than in most other "ground" ops.  On the first day that we were "supposed" to land, we were only able to get two (of four) mike boats out of Cleveland's (LPD7) well deck before they called a halt.  From what I heard later, nobody else (the battle group was spread across a few different US platform types) got any boats in the water and the couple of amtracks that did get off an LST managed to be rescued recovered.  The troops in the two boats from Cleveland bobbed around for a awhile, had some injuries, and eventually had to sail to Port Hardy to be flown back to the ship to try again the next day.

Found this that provides a civilian journalist's perspective.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1185&dat=19791010&id=y3UOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=oYADAAAAIBAJ&pg=7035,4662031&hl=en

I had a question.
For reserves, is the initial eligibility for promotion from Pte to Cpl two years as opposed to the four years for Reg Forces?

If so, how come it's like this?

Back